Crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside, these Air Fryer Chickpeas are the perfect snack on their own, or toss them on top of salads or into a snack mix. Making these air fried chickpeas is a quick and easy way to achieve the perfect chickpea crispness.
Air Fryer Chickpeas
Chickpeas, otherwise known as garbanzo beans, have always been one of my favorite additions to salads, certain chicken dishes and obviously hummus. I can open a can of chickpeas and happily eat them with a fork too. There is something quite satisfying about the subtle, earthy flavor grainy texture of a chickpea.
Up until now, my go-to method for making my chickpeas crispy, was in the oven, sweet and savory versions are particularly my favorites. However, these days I’m enjoying cooking things in my air fryer. I don’t think a day goes by without making use of it in one way or another. It’s a great appliance to have around for summer as it doesn’t heat up the kitchen. Bring on the warm weather!
I use a handful of ingredients to season these Air Fryer Chickpeas and they are flavor-packed. The normally understated taste profile of the chickpea allows it to take on seasoning spices, letting any added flavor shine through.
Chickpeas as a snack are also great for gluten free or plant-based diets.
How To Air Fry Chickpeas With Parmesan
- One of the tricks to making crispy chickpeas is making sure they are completely dry before adding any olive oil and spices. Rinse canned chickpeas and place them on top of paper towels to dry, blotting the tops with more paper towels. If you can leave them sitting there to air dry for an hour or two, even better.
- Combine all ingredients with the chickpeas until they are uniformly seasoned.
- Air fry chickpeas in batches, shaking them every 5 minutes to avoid sticking and for even cooking.
- Enjoy them immediately or cool them completely and add to salads, a snack mix or enjoy on their own.
Chickpeas In The Air Fryer Tips and Tricks
- As mentioned previously, starting with dry chickpeas before seasoning them is key for flavor in this recipe.
- Don’t want to overcrowd them. I let each batch air fry for 5 minutes and give them a shake and air fry them for another 5 minutes, or until they are the desired crispness I prefer.
- There is a secret to keeping the chickpeas crispy after you’ve made them, especially if you want to store them for a couple of days. Air flow is very important, so plastic bags are out. Storing them at room temperature in parchment bags keeps the crunch factor alive. I’ve linked my favorite parchment bags in the recipe card below.
- You can re-crisp them in the air fryer if you need to.
If you are putting to together a snack mix, don’t forget to add these to your ingredient list.
More Delicious Air Fryer Recipes You Need To Try Today
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a newbie to air frying, these recipes will have you cooking up a storm and impressing all your friends and family. So say goodbye to greasy and hello to crispy with these air fryer recipes that will have your taste buds doing the happiest of dances.
- Indulge in this juicy and luscious air fryer Caribbean spiced chicken that boasts the exotic flavors and flair of the Caribbean in every bite, while the air fryer seals in its succulence to perfection, as always.
- For seafood enthusiasts who crave a tasty blend of sweet and savory, this mouthwatering maple soy salmon air fryer recipe is a must-try.
- Get in on the trend of air fryer desserts with these air fryer apple chimichangas that offer a hassle-free way to indulge in the classic flavors of apple pie. No fuss, no mess, just pure deliciousness.
- Experience the ultimate flakiness and crunchiness with these air fryer fish nuggets. Move over chicken nuggets, these irresistible bites may just become your kids’ new favorite meal.
- Enjoy the delicate and crumbly texture of these air fryer hand pies that are cooked to crispy perfection.
- Perfect for even the busiest of weeknights, air fryer bang bang shrimp can be on your dinner table quicker than you can order takeout.
- This air fryer pumpkin spice Chex snack mix is a must-try during the holiday season and will leave you craving for more with its irresistible taste and aroma.
- Experience a special breakfast without the hassle with these thick and dunkable air fryer French toast sticks that are air-fried to perfection.
- Elevate your campfire treat game with these air-fried and crispy s’mores egg rolls.
- Conquer your breakfast rush with these air fryer bagels that are the ultimate solution for a quick and easy morning meal.
- These low carb air fryer pickles serve as the perfect guilt-free snack for any gathering.
If you find yourself making a crunchy snack mix with these air fried chickpeas, I’d love it if you snapped a photo and tagged @NOBLEPIG and #noblepig on INSTAGRAM so I can see how this crispy, crunchy, and downright addictive snack has you saying ‘more peas, please!’
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Air Fryer Chickpeas with Parmesan
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas under cold water, patting completely dry with a paper towel.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently until chickpeas are covered uniformly in seasonings.
- Set air fryer to 390 degrees F. Divide chickpeas into three batches, air frying one batch at a time as to not overcrowd them. Air fry for 5-6 minutes, remove and shake the basket and air fry for another 5 minutes or until desired crispiness is reached. Repeat with each batch until done.
- Serve immediately or cool chickpeas in a single layer on paper towels or parchment sheets before storing in parchment bags for up to three days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.