Bang Bang Shrimp made in the air fryer and tossed in its well-loved creamy, sweet and spicy chili sauce is simple enough to make on the busiest of weeknights . This crispy, breaded shrimp will be on your dinner table faster than it takes to order take out.
Bang Bang Shrimp Air Fryer Recipe
Making seafood in the air fryer has become a favorite, foolproof method of cooking over the years. Whether its air fryer salmon, air fryer fish nuggets or maple glazed salmon – the air fried method has really made a delicious contribution, when it comes to getting a tasty dinner on the table.
I think this Bang Bang Shrimp is one of my favorite quick and easy meals yet. You could easily serve it over spaghetti noodles or rice with this cucumber mint salad on the side.
As a dinner portion this recipe serves two, but Bang Bang Shrimp can be served as an appetizer for four if you choose.
Why Is It Called Bang Bang Shrimp?
Bang Bang Shrimp is Thai in origin, with Thai sweet chili sauce enveloping the shrimp after it’s fried. The dose of Sriracha to the same sauce is where the “bang” originates.
Here in the U.S. bang bang shrimp rose to popularity as a signature appetizer on the menu of Bonefish Grill restaurants. Patrons fell in love with the crispy shrimp tossed in their signature creamy, spicy sauce.
If you are in any way a fan of that appetizer, you’re going to love this air fried version you can make at home (no deep frying necessary).
Bang Bang Shrimp Ingredients
None of these ingredients are hard to find, which is always a plus!
- raw shrimp – medium-sized is the best for bite-sized. Make sure shrimp is deveined and tails are off.
- cornstarch – creates a crispier coating that holds up to the bang bang sauce much better than flour would
- egg white – better for frying
- panko – creates the perfect texture for this shrimp
- cooking spray
- mayonnaise – you can use full or low fat
- Sriracha – this is what gives your sauce the “bang” – feel free to add more of less
- Thai sweet chili sauce – adds the sweetness to the sauce
- green onions -optional for garnish
GET THE FULL (PRINTABLE) AIR FRYER BANG BANG SHRIMP RECIPE BELOW. ENJOY!
Air fryer used was 4.1 liters in size. A large air frying basket will allow you to make the shrimp without issues of overcrowding.
Save time by purchasing shrimp that has already been deveined and tails are removed. They are more expensive sold this way.
Leftovers for this recipe are not really recommended. It’s not that they don’t taste good, but shrimp will be overcooked and will no longer be crispy. It’s really best if served fresh.
Another option for the sauce is to leave out the sweet chili sauce and the Sriracha and use chili-garlic sauce mixed with the mayonnaise, which has the heat of Sriracha and flavor of sweet chili sauce in one.
I have made tacos with these shrimp layered with lettuce and tomatoes in soft flour tortillas – they are amazing. Give it a try for a twist on taco Tuesday.
More Air Fryer Recipes To Try
Wondering what else to cook in your air fryer? Start here… (three others are listed above)
- Air Fryer Chimichanga
- Air Fryer French Toast
- Air Fryer Caribbean Spiced Chicken
- Air Fryer Chex Mix
- Air Fryer S’mores Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer “Fried” Pickles
- Air Fryer Bagels
- Air Fryer Parmesan Chickpeas
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- 1 lb medium-sized raw shrimp, deveined, tails off
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg white
- 1-1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- spray oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsps sweet chili sauce
- 2 tsps Sriracha (less or more to taste)
- sliced green onion for garnish (optional)
- Separate cornstarch, egg white and panko into three separate bowls. Coat shrimp with cornstarch and set aside on parchment or paper plate. Dip and coa shrimp in egg white, then transfer to panko, pressing the shrimp into the crumbs to coat evenly on both sides..
- Place shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Spray or coat top of shrimp with oil. Air fry for 5 minutes on 350 degrees, flip shrimp over, spray other side with oil, and air fry for another 2 minutes until golden brown. (In some cases you might need to do two batches, depending on the size of your air fryer. Shrimp should not be touching each other in the air frying basket.)
- While shrimp are cooking, prepare the bang bang sauce. In a bowl that’s big enough to fit all shrimp after they’re cooked, whisk together mayonnaise, chili sauce and Sriracha. Once shrimp are done, carefully toss shrimp with sauce.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with green onions if you choose.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.