Petit and crumbly cherry hands pies, cooked to crispy perfection in your air fryer. Simple to put together using prepared pie dough and pie filling.
Cherry Hand Pies
Did you know your air fryer has a sweeter side? Imagine it as a conduit to creating fried desserts, but without the extra calories and oily mess.
But let’s remember the final result of air-frying a dessert is not necessarily focused on getting the healthiest return on what I would consider some pretty indulgent treats (I’m looking at you air-fried s’mores). Instead, think of it as a payoff for achieving the delicate, crispy-coated edges you’ve always enjoyed when eating these types of sweets.
These cherry hand pies are delightfully crisp and flaky and can be made with any type of pie filling that suits your tastes.
Related: Air Fryer Apple Pie Chimichangas
Cherry Hand Pie Ingredients
refrigerated pie dough – you can also make homemade pie dough
cherry pie filling – canned or homemade works
egg – used for making an egg wash
milk – for the egg wash and the glaze
confectioners’ sugar – for the glaze
GET THE FULL (PRINTABLE) AIR FRYER CHERRY HAND PIES RECIPE BELOW. ENJOY
How To Use An Air Fryer (for most recipes)
- Preheat your air fryer (most of the time). Most brands of air fryers specify the air fryer should be preheated to ensure even cooking. These cherry hand pies do not require it.
- Grease your air fryer basket. Even if your food does not require oil, take a moment to grease your air fryer basket to ensure the food won’t stick.
- Don’t overcrowd the basket. If you want your fried foods to turn out crispy, make sure you don’t overcrowd the basket; too much food in the basket will prevent your food from crisping and browning. Be prepared to cook food in batches.
- Flip foods over halfway through the cooking time. Just as you would if you were cooking on a grill or in a skillet, you need to turn foods over so that they brown evenly.
- Open the air fryer as often as you like to check for doneness. Open the drawer to check the cooking process. This will not interrupt the cooking time of most air fryers.
- Shake the basket. Shaking the basket during the cooking process will not only re-distribute the ingredients, but help them to brown and crisp more evenly.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Air fryer cook times may vary depending on the brand and air fryer size.
Cooked in a white Cosori 5.8qt air fryer.
Store cherry hand pies in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-4 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5-7
Homemade pie crust can be substituted for refrigerated pie crust.
More Air Fryer Recipes to Enjoy
- Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Caribbean Spiced Chicken
- Air Fryer Maple Glazed Salmon
- Air Fryer Fish Nuggets
- Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- Air Fryer Chex Mix
- Air Fryer Bagels
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
Air Fryer Cherry Hand pies
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tbsp milk, divided
- 1 package (14-ounce) refrigerated pie dough
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Generously coat the air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Beat egg with 1 Tablespoon of milk and set aside.
- Carefully roll out each package of pie dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut circles into the dough using a 3-inch round cookie cutter to make 16 circles (8 from each round of pie dough).
- Moisten each edge of a circle with water, then add 1 tablespoon cherry pie filling to the center. Carefully fold the circle in half and pinch the edges of the dough together to seal. Use a fork to crimp the edges of each circle to secure them further. Add a slit in the top of the crust with a sharp knife. Repeat with all remaining dough circles.
- Brush the top of each hand pie with prepared egg wash.
- Working in batches, place several hand pies in the air fryer and cook at 360 degrees F on the air fry setting for 5 minutes then flip the hand pies and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or until the hand pies are golden brown and cooked throughout. Set aside hand pies to cool on a wire rack and repeat with the remaining pies.
- While pies are cooking, stir together confectioners' sugar and remaining milk to make a glaze.
- Once pies have cooled, drizzle or brush glaze across the outside of the hand pies. Allow glaze to set before serving, enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.