Every bite of this Air Fryer Caribbean Spiced Chicken is juicy, luscious and a testimony to the fragrant spices, flair and exotic flavors of the Caribbean. As usual, the air fryer locks in the juiciness and creates the perfect chicken every time.
Caribbean Chicken in the Air Fryer
When I think of eating chicken in the Caribbean, my mind automatically shifts to that one memorable time I experienced Jerk chicken in Jamaica. Holy wow it was so spicy! My mouth was on fire after that one.
As it turns out, Jerk seasoning relies on two principal ingredients, allspice and Scotch bonnet peppers. Other ingredients in Jerk seasoning may include cloves, cinnamon, scallions, nutmeg, thyme, garlic, brown sugar, ginger, and salt. I have been very reluctant to indulge in Jerk chicken again. I feel like whoever was cooking that day was off on their ratios of heat to other spices. The Scotch bonnet peppers drowned out all the other wonderful Caribbean spices. I was a little disappointed.
With this Caribbean Chicken I carefully took into account the heat factor, making sure not to cancel out the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger flavors, which I think are so endearing to Caribbean fare.
I knew I wanted to make these seasoned chicken thighs chicken in the air fryer (which is seriously the best and most useful appliance I have in my kitchen). With the air fryer locking in the juiciness of the chicken, it cooks to perfection.
I could not live without my air fryer at this point. I find it so useful. If you have not tried my Air Fryer Salmon or my Crispy Air Fryer Parmesan Chickpeas, I highly suggest giving them a whirl. Both are delicious.
Caribbean Spice Mix
The spice mix consists of ingredients you likely already have in your kitchen and the recipe is simple enough to throw together in minutes.
- cayenne pepper
GET THE FULL (PRINTABLE) RECIPE FOR AIR FRYER CARIBBEAN SPICED CHICKEN BELOW. ENJOY!
Air Fryer Chicken Recipe Tips
You’ll want to cover both sides of your chicken thighs with the spice mixture and brush each piece with coconut oil.
Make sure your chicken thighs are 3-4 oz each in size, otherwise you will want to slice them in half.
Chicken thighs stay absolutely juicy and delicious in the air fryer. If you decide to use chicken breasts for this recipe, make sure you are using thin-sliced fillets, otherwise it will take too long for them to cook. I have found chicken breasts made in the air fryer tend to be a little dry.
Beginning temperature of the chicken will make a difference in cooking time. Make sure juices are running clear before transferring chicken out of the air fryer. If the chicken needs a couple more minutes, just continue to air fry until done.
This chicken reheats nicely as leftovers.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I was able to place four chicken thighs into my air fryer basket at once. It’s okay if the chicken thighs are touching, but do keep them from overlapping.
You will have to make this chicken in several batches.
As expected, the chicken comes out perfectly browned and beautiful. I highly suggest serving this dish with something like pineapple coleslaw, since it is very savory.
If you have not delved into the air frying craze, I can only say it’s worth the purchase. My air fryer has not left my counter since getting it last year.
And if you’re cooking for one or two, an air fryer makes cooking easy. Whether it’s lunch or dinner, throw in a piece of seasoned chicken or fish and yes, even steak, and you’ve got the perfect meal in ten minutes.
More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- Air Fryer Maple Glazed Salmon
- Air Fryer Apple Pie Chimichangas
- Air Fryer Fish Nuggets
- Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix
- Air Fryer S’mores Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer 4-Ingredient Bagels
- Air Fryer Pickles
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
Air Fryer Caribbean Spiced Chicken
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thigh fillets
- coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground coriander seed
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 tsps ground ginger
- 1-1/2 tsps ground nutmeg
- 3 tbsps coconut oil, melted
- Remove chicken from packaging and pat dry. Place on a large baking sheet covered with paper towels to soak up any residual liquid. Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken. Let chicken sit for 30 minutes so it is not so cold when going into the air fryer.
- In a small bowl combine coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, ginger and nutmeg. Coat each piece of chicken with spice mixture and brush both sides with coconut oil.
- Place four pieces of chicken into your air fryer basket (they should not overlap, but it's okay if they are touching). Air fry at 390 degrees F for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from basket and place chicken in an oven safe dish, covering tightly with foil. Keep warm in the oven until all chicken is done. Repeat air frying instructions with the rest of the chicken.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.