Deliciously flakey fish nuggets made right in your air fryer. These crunchy bites just might replace your kid’s chicken nuggets all-together.
Air Fryer Fish Nuggets Recipe
If you love fish sticks, you’re going to love these air fryer fish nuggets even more. This is pure comfort food in every, single bite.
You can either eat these nuggets by themselves with dipping sauce or put them into a tortilla and enjoy a fish taco. Either way, they are completely mesmerizing.
The air fryer turns these panko crusted fish nuggets into memorable bites, with the crispiest edges. You’ll be amazed at how easy they are to make!
If you’ve ever looked at a package of fish sticks, fish is often not the first ingredient listed. Making these at home ensures you’re getting the best protein packed fish nuggets out there.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Fish Nuggets
My favorite fresh fish to make these fish nuggets with is definitely cod. It’s naturally flakey and holds up well in any type of cooking situation. It does very well in the air fryer.
The breading for the nuggets is made with panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, egg and flour.
The dipping sauce is made of mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and your favorite hot sauce.
You will need cooking spray for the air fryer basket and make sure you have fresh lemons on hand for squeezing on top of the finished nuggets.
How To Make Cod Air Fryer Fish Nuggets
You’ll want to preheat your air fryer to ensure the crispiest nuggets.
Combine breading ingredients in a medium sized shallow bowl, while egg and flour are combined in a separate bowl.
Cod chunks are dipped into the egg mixture and pressed into the panko mixture until all side of the fish are coated.
In batches, air fry coated fish chunks on two sides before removing from the air fryer basket.
While fish is cooking you will prepare the dipping sauce.
If using vegetable oil instead of cooking spray to coat the air fryer basket, use a pastry brush or paper towel to apply to air fryer basket.
Try to cut fish chunks the same size for even cooking.
Make sure there is enough space between fish nuggets in the air fryer to get them crispy. An air fryer 4 liters or smaller might require 3 batches.
Fish cooks quickly and is done once it flakes easily and is very tender.
Reheating Fish Nuggets
These fish nuggets are best served immediately, but can be reheated on a low temperature (200-300) degrees in the air fryer or toaster oven.
OTHER AIR FRYER RECIPES YOU NEED TO TRY
- Air Fryer Apple Pie Chimichangas
- Air Fryer S’mores Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- Air Fryer Caribbean Spiced Chicken
- Low Carb Air Fryer Pickles
- Air Fryer Cinnamon-Raisin Bagels
- Crispy Air Fryer Parmesan Chickpeas
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
Air Fryer Fish Nuggets
- 12 oz cod fillets, cut into chunks (about 1-1-1/2" in diameter)
- 1/2 cup panko
- 2 tbsps grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- cooking spray
- squeeze of lemon (optional)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- Preheat air fryer to 370 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Combine panko, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and salt in a shallow bowl or on a plate. In a separate bowl whisk together egg and flour until well combined.
- Starting with the egg mixture, coat about ½ of the fish chunks on all sides. Then coat with panko mixture, pressing gently to coat all sides.
- Spray fryer basket with oil or dab with vegetable oil. Add coated fish chunks, leaving space in between pieces (air fry in batches). Spray small amount of oil on fish. Cook 3-4minutes before turning. Spray a small amount of oil on other side and cook additional 3-4 minutes.
- Repeat steps 2-3 with remaining fish pieces. While fish is cooking, prepare dipping sauce by combining mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and hot sauce in a small dish.
- Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.