This 2 ingredient pumpkin cake utilizes a yellow cake mix and pumpkin puree to create a perfectly delicious outcome. Without the need for oil, butter, milk, or eggs, this cake achieves a perfect level of moisture and fluffiness. The apple cider glaze puts this pumpkin cake recipe over-the-top in the best way.
2 Ingredient Pumpkin Cake
Not all dessert recipes need to be complicated. This pumpkin cake redefines the term “simple,” and could even be dubbed a “pumpkin dump cake” when in a bind.
This recipe, using canned pumpkin and yellow cake mix, presents an excellent way to elevate a cake mix. While it stands well on its own as a moist and delicious cake, the real game-changer is the apple cider glaze, which propels this two-ingredient cake to new heights.
Related: Pumpkin Donuts
Undoubtedly, it’s the ultimate go-to for a swift and effortless recipe—perfect for weeknights, book club gatherings, or potlucks. The flavor is simply perfect.
Even for those who shy away from baking from scratch, fear not, as the presence of a cake mix acts as a safety net. Achieving perfection each and every time is practically a guarantee.
Why You’ll Love This Pumpkin 2 Ingredient Cake
- Simplicity: With just two main ingredients, a yellow cake mix and pumpkin puree, this recipe streamlines the baking process.
- Deliciousness: Despite its simplicity, the cake turns out incredibly delicious, boasting a moist and fluffy texture that’s satisfies your taste buds.
- Healthier Option: This recipe skips traditional ingredients like oil, butter, milk, and eggs, making it a potentially healthier dessert choice without compromising on flavor or texture.
- Glaze: The apple cider glaze is a game changer and so perfectly on brand for the fall season.
Ingredients for Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze
See the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions, this list is just an overview.
- yellow cake mix – any brand will do
- pumpkin puree -this is not “pumpkin pie mix” ` you want the unsweetened/non-spiced version
- confectioners’ sugar – otherwise known as powdered sugar
- apple cider – this does not need to be fresh apple cider, regular bottled apple cider works
- pumpkin pie spice – found in the spice aisle during the fall season or make your own
How to Make Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake
Full, detailed instructions can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Preheat oven.
- Mix cake mix and pumpkin puree, bake until toothpick comes out clean.
- Create glaze with powdered sugar, apple cider, and pumpkin pie spice; pour over cake.
Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice
If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice on hand, you can make your own with a few ingredients you likely have on hand.
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Mix all ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place up to 6 months.
May be used as a substitute for store-bought pumpkin pie spice and to prepare the recipe for the apple cider glaze.
Can I Use Fresh Pumpkin Puree?
By all means yes!
If you have gone to the trouble of making fresh pumpkin puree, then absolutely use it in place of canned pumpkin puree.
Sugar pumpkins or pie pumpkins are the best for making puree.
As a rule of thumb, a 3-pound pumpkin should yield the same volume as one can of store bought puree. It can vary based on the meatiness of the pumpkin.
Recipe Tips for The Best Cake
- While this recipe calls for a yellow cake mix, it’s also amazing with a spice cake mix.
- This recipe calls for a 7 x 11, rectangular baking pan. If you make it in another size pan, baking times are going to change.
- Before removing your cake from the oven, make sure to check that the middle is set. Use a finger to press down in the middle. It should bounce back, not feel like much.
- Everyone’s oven is different. Your baking time might be different.
- The glaze should be thick, but pourable. If it’s too thin, add more sugar. If it’s too thick, add more cider in small increments.
- Serve while warm….it’s the best.
Pour that glaze over the top and slice when ready. It’s truly the best!!
Other Fall Desserts You Might Enjoy
- Upside Down Apple Pie
- Fresh Apple Spice Bars
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
- Air Fryer Apple Pie Chimichangas
- Mini Pumpkin Pies
How to Make Pumpkin Cake with 2 Ingredients
2 Ingredient Pumpkin Cake
2 Ingredient Pumpkin Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Empty the contents of the boxed cake mix and pumpkin puree into a large bowl. Using a hand-mixer or stand mixer beat until well incorporated. The batter will be very thick, but will come together nicely.1 box yellow cake mix, 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- Pour batter into a greased 7 x 11 X 2 pan. (This is the small, rectangular-sized pan from your Pyrex set.)
- Bake for 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan, then flip onto a platter.
Apple Cider Glaze:
- Make the glaze while you're waiting.
- Combine powdered sugar, apple cider and pumpkin pie spice. Glaze should be thick but pourable. Add more sugar or cider if needed. Pour over the cake while still warm. Reserve some to pour over each slice when served.1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, 3 tbsps apple cider, 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Serve warm or room temperature.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #NOBLEPIG on INSTAGRAM so we can see what you’ve made. FOLLOW Noble Pig ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER to keep up with all our latest recipes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.