Crab and Chive Puffs are a simple, quick, delicious and elegant party appetizer made with puff pastry, crab meat, and a cream cheesy-chive mixture. These savory bites are the perfect finger-food and party starter for any upcoming gathering.
Crab and Chive Puffs Recipe: A Simple Appetizer
If you’re searching for a delicious and elegant appetizer to impress your guests, look no further than these party-perfect Crab and Chive Puffs. Made with puff pastry, crab meat and a cream-cheesy chive mixture, these savory bites are a stellar choice for a party appetizer. Not only are they delicious, but they are quick and easy to prepare and always a slam dunk at any gathering
The combination of the flaky puff pastry and succulent crab meat creates a truly irresistible taste sensation. The addition of a creamy chive mixture adds a touch of elegance to these puffs, making them an irresistible finger-food for any occasion. They are perfect as a party starter or as a snack during a game night, and they’re sure to be a must-try for any seafood lover.
In addition to being delicious and elegant, these Crab and Chive Puffs are also versatile. You can serve them as is, or you can add a drizzling sauce of your choice to make them even more tasty. Since they’re easy to make ahead of time, you can spend more time enjoying your party and less time in the kitchen. So next time you’re planning a get-together, spoil your guests with these delicious and elegant Crab and Chive Puffs.
Crab Puffs Preparation
Creating these delectable Crab and Chive Puffs is a breeze and they serve a crowd with ease. With the added bonus of being able to prepare them the day before, baking them off right before your guests arrive, makes hosting a breeze. As the recipe yields enough for a couple sheet trays, you can either bake them all at once if all guests arrive simultaneously or bake one sheet tray at a time, ensuring that there are always some puffs available for guests who arrive late.
The buttery taste of these puffs will have everyone reaching for more, so make sure to grab a few for yourself when they make their first round. These puffs are sure to disappear quickly, so don’t wait too long to enjoy your share.
WINE, BEER, SPIRIT AND COCKTAIL RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CRAB AND CHIVE PUFFS
When it comes to pairing wine with these Crab and Chive Puffs, I look for a wine I know will complement the specific flavors found in this dish, without completely overpowering its nuances. The creamy chive mixture and crab meat found in the puffs have a unique, but tricky flavor profile that can be challenging to pair with the perfect bottle. In my experience, I have found I really appreciate a white wine with this appetizer and then I stick with the following four varietals, which really create an impact with every bite.
Here are a few of my varietal wine recommendations for serving with a Crab and Chive Puffs appetizer:
- Chardonnay: A dry and unoaked Chardonnay is a great place to start when it comes to white wine. Chardonnay tends to exhibit a buttery and creamy flavor profile that will complement the cream-cheesy chive mixture that bakes into the puffs.
- Sauvignon Blanc: A glass of Sauvignon Blanc, has acidic and herbaceous notes that will balance the richness of the buttery puff pastry puffs, while accentuating the flavors of the crab (which is what you want).
- Riesling: A dry or off-dry Riesling has the best mineral and citrus notes to nicely complement the flavors of the puffs, and its acidity will cut through the richness of the chive mixture nicely.
- White Burgundy: A White Burgundy, like Chablis or Meursault, has the mineral and nutty notes to complement the flavors of the puffs and is a great option when a more formal setting is set for the night.
Here are a couple of my beer recommendations for serving with a Crab and Chive Puffs appetizer:
A Belgian-style witbier or a German-style pilsner would be two great beer varietals to pair with these crab and chive puffs. The subtle spice notes in a witbier and the crispness of a pilsner will complement the flavors you’re going to find in the recipe. Additionally, the carbonation in both types of beers will help to cleanse the palate between bites. I hope you get to try them.
Here are a couple of my spirit recommendations for serving with this Crab and Chive Puffs appetizer:
I’m going to recommend sticking with a favorite vodka or gin with this recipe. Both of these spirits have a clean and crisp taste that work well if you just want to sip on something.
Here are my cocktail recommendations to pair with this party starter:
A vodka martini with a twist of lemon or a gin and tonic would be great cocktail options to serve with this appetizer. The acidity in both of these cocktails will help cut through the buttery richness of the crab and again the carbonation plays a role with helping to cleanse the palate between tastes.
Easy and Impressive Appetizers for Any Occasion
Appetizers are a great way to start any meal, whether it’s a casual get-together or a formal event. These easy and impressive appetizer recipes are sure to impress your guests and set the tone for a delicious meal.
- Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Pull-Apart Bacon Bread
- Gooey Pizza Dip
- Hot Italian Dip
- Maple Glazed Sausage Bites
- Roasted Garlic Bruschetta
- Kahlua Brown Sugar Baked Brie
- Jalapeno Popper Pinwheels
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! Take a snapshot and tag @NOBLEPIG and #noblepig on INSTAGRAM so I can see how it turned out.
DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW.
ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
Crab and Chive Puffs
- 2 sheets (17.3 oz. box) frozen puff pastry, thawed in refrigerator overnight
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives, more for garnish
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp finely ground black pepper
- 1 lbs. lump crab meat
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a 2" inch-cookie cutter, cut the pastry into rounds. Place on 2-parchment-lined baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, mayonnaise, chives, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Fold in the crab.
- Dividing evenly, spoon the crab mixture onto the pastry rounds (about 2 teaspoons each). Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the pastries are golden and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with more chives and serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.