No need to build a campfire to make these layered s’mores parfaits come to life! A close relative to s’mores pudding, but with layers of crunch and a better presentation.
What Is A Parfait?
Or better yet, what makes a parfait a parfait? The answer really depends on what country you’re from. The parfait did originate in France and translates to “perfect”. And “perfect” definitely describes this s’mores version perfectly.
The parfait in France refers to a dessert made by boiling together cream, egg, sugar and syrup to create a very custard-like puree.
The version of parfait we’re used to here in America has varying layers of ingredients, things like granola, yogurt, nuts, fruit and even whipped cream is the most common and are often served for breakfast.
Parfaits were classically served in stemware at fine dining restaurants, but nowadays we see parfaits as you do here, in short and stubby glass jars and other varying see-through vessels.
This s’mores parfait not only tastes delicious, it’s going to transport you directly to your favorite campfire site, without having to leave the comfort of your home.
The Best S’mores Parfait Recipe
This s’mores parfait recipe is simply the best when it comes to recreating a traditional s’more at home in your kitchen. No need to even step outside if that’s not your thing.
Using traditional and non-traditional s’mores ingredients in a new way, you can easily make a large batch of eight s’mores parfaits at home, from scratch, in a very short amount of time.
Unlike other parfait recipes that sit overnight in the fridge, this one is best served right away.
While this is definitely a kid-friendly dessert, I find adults love it even more (no sticky fingers or smelling like a campfire). Not to mention, you can easily drizzle your favorite chocolate liqueur over the top if you like.
What Ingredients You Need
Here are all of the ingredients in my delicious S’mores Parfait recipe:
- graham cracker crumbs– you can purchase pre-made cracker crumbs or use whole graham crackers and crush them yourself. (Add the crackers to a large resealable bag and crush with a rolling pin or add to a food processor bowl and pulse until they turn into fine crumbs.) Use gluten-free graham crackers/crumbs for a gluten-free version.
- unsalted butter– if you prefer to cut the sweetness of the parfaits a bit you can use salted butter instead.
- chocolate instant pudding mix– be sure to use instant pudding and not cook and serve pudding.
- cold milk– any kind of milk is fine, but whole milk is going to give you the best taste
- mini chocolate chips
- heavy whipping cream
- marshmallow creme– also known as marshmallow fluff
- vanilla extract
- large marshmallows– I like large marshmallows to top the parfaits since they are easier to toast and are the perfect size to throw on top. You can use mini marshmallows if you prefer. Presentation wise the large marshmallows look best. The toasted marshmallow on top is what really sets these parfaits apart.
- chocolate bar– I used a Hershey’s milk chocolate bar for a classic s’mores taste, but any kind of chocolate bar will work so use what you prefer.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
How to Make a S’mores Parfait
There are only a few steps to get to s’mores bliss, you’ve got this! And because we’re using instant pudding in this recipe, we don’t even have to wait for pudding to cool. As long as you have all the ingredients, this can absolutely be a dessert you can make last minute or it can be a last minute-decision to make it. You decide.
Here’s how to make S’mores Parfaits:
1. Use a small bowl to mix the graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter until it is well-combined. Set the mixture aside until we start layering.
2. Empty the pudding mix into a medium mixing bowl. You’re going to slowly pour in the cold milk, while using a hand-held mixer to combine the pudding and the milk. As it comes together it will thicken. It will take about three minutes. Fold in the mini chocolate chips with a spatula and set aside.
3. Using a separate bowl (best if it’s chilled) add the heavy whipping cream and whip with a hand-held or stand mixer until soft peaks form. Dollop in the marshmallow creme and vanilla extract and mix just until combined.
4. Now we’re going to assemble the parfaits. Set out eight (8 oz) mason jars or other similarly sized containers. (It’s best if they’re clear.) Using a spoon, gently press a large spoonful of graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each jar. Add a large spoonful of chocolate pudding to the jars, followed by a large scoop of whipped marshmallow creme. Add another layer of graham cracker crumbs and another large spoonful of pudding on top.
5. Finish with two large toasted marshmallows, a piece of chocolate bar and a sprinkling of graham cracker crumbs.
6. Serve immediately.
Get the Complete (Printable) S’mores Parfaits Recipe Below. You’re going to love it!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Should I Toast the Marshmallows?
Toasting the marshmallows for the top really adds to the flavor of these S’mores Parfaits and you can toast your marshmallows in a variety of ways. You can toast them on a traditional campfire, over a hot grill, over a gas range, or lay them on a baking sheet and broil until toasted. You can also use a kitchen torch (the way I do it) to toast them.
How Long Does This Dessert Last?
If you have any leftover parfaits store them tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to five days. The toasted marshmallow will harden up a bit, but it still tastes delicious!
Can These S’mores Parfaits Be Made in Advance?
If you would like to make these parfaits ahead of time, follow the recipe through step four. You will wait to add the garnish until right before serving. These parfaits can be made up to two days in advance.
What Substitutions Can I Make?
Feel free to use prepared whipped topping in place of making your own. You can mix the marshmallow creme right in with the prepared whipped topping for a more s’more-like flavor or leave the marshmallow creme out and just use whipped topping for an even easier dessert!
Substitute mini M&M’s or vanilla chips in place of the mini chocolate chips.
Use another flavor of pudding or use crushed cookies instead of graham crackers.
Add sprinkles or shredded coconut to the top!
The sky is the limit with this easy, versatile, no-bake dessert!
Looking For More Summer Inspired Dessert Recipes?
- Air Fryer S’mores Eggrolls
- Banana Split Kabobs
- Oreo Balls
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Squares
- Blueberry Crisp
- Mud Pie
- Fresh Cherry-Berry Crumble
FYI: Please join our NOBLE PIG FACEBOOK GROUP for a more in depth look at recipes, cooking tips and other member contributions.
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
- 2 cups (235 grams) graham cracker crumbs, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tbsps (28 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (3.9ounce/110 g) box of chocolate instant pudding mix
- 2 cups (500 ml) cold milk
- 1/3 cup (60 g) mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (60 g) marshmallow creme
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 16 large marshmallows
- 1 milk chocolate bar, broken into pieces
- In a small bowl mix graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter until well-combined. Set aside.
- Add pudding mix to a medium mixing bowl. Slowly pour in cold milk and use a hand-held mixer to mix until the pudding comes together and thickens, about 3 minutes. Fold in the mini chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a separate bowl add the heavy whipping cream and whip with a hand-held or stand mixer until soft peaks form. Add in the marshmallow creme and vanilla extract; mix just until combined.
- To assemble the parfaits set out eight (8 ounce) mason jars or other similarly sized containers. Gently press a large spoonful of graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each container. Next, add a large spoonful of pudding mix to the jars followed by a large scoop of whipped marshmallow creme. Evenly divide the remaining graham cracker crumbs between the jars and add another large spoonful of pudding on top.
- Garnish with 2 large toasted marshmallows, a piece of chocolate bar, and a sprinkling of graham cracker crumbs.
- Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.