Easy, delicious and ready in under thirty minutes, this Spicy Low Carb Hamburger Soup is a hearty and warming dinner. Since it makes a large batch, there will be enough leftovers for lunches and dinners that week. This soup is also keto friendly.
Soup season is upon us, except for those few states who either never really cool off or just haven’t gotten there yet. However, I do know lots of us never stop eating soup, regardless of the season. If you’re inside with air conditioning I guess it really doesn’t matter all that much. Luckily this Spicy Low Carb Hamburger Soup is going to fit into your lifestyle regardless of the weather. Enjoy it now or a month down the road.
How many of of you like to enjoy low carb eating while at home and save all the indulgent eating for when you’re out or on vacation? I know once I became forty years young, sugary food or carbohydrate loading really does play a role when it comes to weight gain. Life is truly unfair sometimes. Meals like this Low Carb Bacon Cheeseburger Salad or an appetizer like Dill Pickle Dip do help when it comes to not loading up with carbohydrates.
However, life is short so I also subscribe to the notion of eating all the things within moderation. Including this delicious soup!
WHY MAKE A HOMEMADE SEASONING BLEND:
Homemade seasoning blends tend to be lower in carbs than store-bought, especially when it comes to taco seasoning.
You can absolutely use premade taco seasoning in this soup if you choose, however they tend to be high in carbohydrates. I’ll leave it up to you. It will taste good either way.
This is the perfect sized dice when it comes to the celery for this soup. It cooks quickly and that’s what you want.
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH SPICY LOW CARB HAMBURGER SOUP:
I know a lot of you will ask if this soup tastes like pumpkin. It does not. Make sure you use a can of one hundred percent pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie mix. The soup has a very savory flavor that pairs nicely with the hamburger in the soup and other ingredients.
WHAT KIND OF GROUND BEEF DO I USE FOR SPICY LOW CARB HAMBURGER SOUP:
That’s really up to you and is dependent on the type of diet you might be following. If you are observing a low fat nutrition plan you might want to use ground beef with a 93/7 fat percentage. If you are on a keto diet, ground chuck or an 88/12 fat percentage will be a better choice.
The ingredients and beef choice for this soup were made with ground chuck and the keto diet in mind.
WHAT DO I GARNISH MY SPICY LOW CARB HAMBURGER SOUP WITH:
As indicated in the recipe, don’t forget to garnish your soup with extra cheese, chunks of avocado and swirl in a dollop of sour cream, it’s the best. I also can’t imagine this soup without my favorite hot sauce!
Have you joined our cooking community yet? I’d love to see you there.
Spicy Low Carb Hamburger Soup
- 1 tbsp chile powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 2 lbs ground beef chuck
- 1-3/4 cups (8 oz/229 g) chopped celery
- 8 cups beef broth or beef bone broth
- 1 (12 oz) can nacho sliced pickled jalapenos
- 1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin
- 1 medium ripe avocado (about 6 oz when whole), peeled and seeded
- 3 cups pre-shredded Mexican Style cheese blend
- garnish each bowl with more avocado, cheese, sour cream and your favorite hot sauce
- In a small bowl, combine chile powder, paprika, cumin, garlic, onion powder, cayenne and salt. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven (7 quart), brown ground beef until almost done and add previously made seasoning blend, stirring to incorporate fully into the meat. Add celery and continue to saute for about 2 minutes more. Pour in beef broth and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, puree jalapenos, pumpkin and avocado until smooth. Add puree to boiling liquid and stir until fully incorporated and smooth. Turn off heat. Stir in cheese.
- Garnish each bowl with more avocado, cheese, sour cream and your favorite hot sauce.