Dill Pickle Dip + VIDEO

Thank you all for continuing to join me on my crazy and delicious dill pickle adventure. You know, the journey where I make dill pickle stuff, like this Dill Pickle Dip and we eat and talk about it like old friends. Yes, our relationship is so complicated. See this recipe MADE ON VIDEO HERE.

Dill Pickle Dip for all the Dill Pickle lovers
My Obsession
Dill pickles are truly an obsession of mine and I love that I have been able to take you all on this mouth-puckering, sour ride. Some of you have come along easily, skipping and smiling with me the whole way.

Others (you know who you are), have done a little kicking and screaming and bad behavior kind of stuff. In the end you were willing to try all things pickle and found yourselves deliciously surprised. And now you too are lovers of my Dill Pickle Soup and Dill Pickle Bacon Bloody Mary as you should be.

Obviously, those of who do not enjoy dill pickles, will not be fans of this recipe. It is for pickle lovers!! An exclusive really. Dill pickle lovers unite!! Are you with me??

Dill Pickle Dip one bite is not enough
Do you see all the little bits of pickle in there? It makes my mouth water just looking at them. We love dipping into this dip with thin pretzels and shoving the dip into our mouths. Yes shoving. Sorry for the visual, but it's true, we like to shove it. Oh, carrots are good for dipping too. But pretzels...yay!

And you know what else? Serve this as a relish or a tartar sauce next to salmon. Oh my gosh, you will be so happy you did. It's somehow the most delicious combination of all times.

Dill Pickle Dip more sliced pickles
Chop your pickles into little bits like you see here. You could even go finer. I'll leave it up to you to decide on the texture you want to experience. It's your mouth!

Dill Pickle Dip pretzels are the perfect dippers
Enjoy every bite. Every. Single. One. It will be your new go-to appetizer. Smother it on toast too...I mean why wouldn't you?

Dill Pickle Dip its over the top delicious
Don't wait for game day or some silly occasion to make this...just do it....soon! Bring it to your next gathering, but I would make a double batch.

Dill Pickle Dip impossible to eat just one bite
Ummm..want a bite?

Dill Pickle Dip
This will be your new, favorite, go-to appetizer.....pinkie swear.

Can't get enough pickles? Try our:
Dill Pickle and Hot Pastrami Pizza
Dill Pickle Popcorn
Fried Pickles
Antipasto and Cheddar-Pickle Skewers
The Best Dill Pickle Sandwich
Dill Pickle Butter
Dill Pickle Soup
12 Mouth-puckering-Dill Pickle Recipes

One year ago I made this Melty Ham, Brie and Peach Grilled Cheese and my family almost keeled over in a delicious coma. Three years ago this unreal Zucchini-Shallot Roasted Red Pepper Pie came out of my oven and I've made it a hundred times since. Five Years Ago this Chocolate Mint Fondue graced my dessert table for the first time. Get these recipes on your table soon. They are all super popular!

And while this Dill Pickle Dip is so delicious, there are so many great dip recipes out there to try. I mean, who wouldn't want to try their hand at making Hissy Fit Dip for the name alone. Sloppy Joe Dip doesn't sound like a bad idea either. And I'm kind of waiting for the right moment to make this Slow Cooker Spicy Bacon Corn Dip because I know I'm going to eat it all myself. And who else's mouth is watering at the thought of this King Ranch Chicken Dip? I know mine is.

Print Recipe

Dill Pickle Dip

Recipe from: Created by Cathy Pollak for NoblePig.com. | Serves: 3 cups

Ingredients

• 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/3 cup diced red onion
  • 1/4 cup pickle juice
  • 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
  • 2 cups diced pickles

Directions

• In a large bowl add cream cheese, red onion, pickle juice, garlic, Old Bay seasoning and pepper. Combine with a hand mixer. Add pickles and continue mixing until fully combined. Refrigerate at least 3 hours and up to three days before serving.

59 Comments and 47 Replies

You are my new best friend.

2. Nanci Simmons 2

Ohhh I so love dill pickles also Love them cannot wait to try the dip.
    So what is your favorite brand of Dill Pickles to just eat out of the jar!!!
    We love all your receipes!!
    Thanks
    Nanci

3. Rebeca 6

What is Old Bay seasoning? I am in Ontario and have not heard of it. Is there some sort of substitute?

• Cathy 7

Old Bay is a very common seasoning found in the U.S. I would Amazon for some and then search Google for some possible copycat recipes. I can’t say the recipes will be as good as the original. And this seasoning gives the dip a unique taste so there is not a substitute.

• Elizabeth 12

Wal mart Canada has Old Bay in the spice section

• Diana Mansell 13

You can purchase Old Bay Seasoning at Thrifty’s grocery store, in the spice isle. It is in a yellow can. I am not sure if you have Thrifty’s in Ontario it may be called Sobeys in your province. You can also find the ingredients on line to make a mix of it but it is less expensive to buy it pre done.

• alexandra strickland 14

Merivale fish market-restaurant has it

• Destiney 15

You can get it at sobeys!

4. Jule 16

This dip looks amazing! also, where did you get the green dip bowl??

5. Karen L. 18

Made this last night and brought to a work function. Rave reviews by all. Easy and delish!

6. Forrest 20

I am also dill pickle crazy . I love your dill pickle recipes. Have tried a few. Eating it with pretzel thins is genius!! Going to try this for sure. Love your blog, Big fan!!

7. Cindy Thornlow 21

I use 16 oz sour cream, 1 pkg Ranch dip and 1/2 jar of dill pickle relish and mix it all together and let it sit for a few hours or over night. We love it!

8. I’m so making this tonight for our party tomorrow night.

9. I found this recipe via Pinterest and just made this for our party tonight. You are a genius!

10. Dill Pickle Dip has been a staple in my diet since I was a kid… my absolute favorite dip!

11. Jenn 26

Wow, just made this for a super bowl party tonight. I hope the dip makes it to the party. I keep “test tasting”. Wanted to make something a little different so I decided to give your recipe a try. So easy and delicious! Thank you.

12. Debbie Pulley 27

I just discovered your dill pickle page. I, too, love dill pickles. I must say I am surprised to see you use store bought pickles when home made are so far superior. I grow my own pickling cucumbers, dill, and jalapeno peppers and make over 100 quarts of dilly deliciousness every year. They are not hard to do at all. I have made dill pickle soup which is so amazing!

• Lynn Steele 28

Got to ask…what’s in dill pickle soup?

• Vivian Parramore 30

Oh yes, dill pickle soup is so good. Two members of my family loves dill pickles; the other two are sweet pickle people. I love anything that has dill in it.

13. Janet 31

Delicious…what a wonderful change from all other dips. Great on crackers, also used as a spread for a sandwich, yummy. I used dill pickles that I did not like, and it was wonderful, good way to get rid of yucky pickles.

14. Becki 32

I disagree that pickle fans will not like this dip. I am not a pickle person at all, but I recently made dill pickle soup and loved it. I am very much looking forward to trying this – just have to do it on a “salty craving” day.

15. Kat 33

I just made some of this for a pot luck. This stuff is like CRACK!! Everyone raved that this is amazing. I added a couple of dashes of cayenne pepper to spice it up a little more, but besides that, I stuck to the recipe. Also used Best Maid pickles (my favorite). Thanks for the recipe!

16. Jean Anne 35

Where did you get your serving dish? I love it!

17. Childer 37

I make a dilly dip but it calls for the spice ” Dill Weed “. It is really good !! I am going to make this for my Granddaughter…She loves Dill and Kosher Dill pickles. Thank you!!!

18. Allyson 38

What kind of dill pickles do you use? I have a batch of sour kosher dills fermenting on my counter as I write this. Will they work? Or will they be too sour? Because I really need to make this dip. Now.

19. Sherry 42

Sounds good but I’m not a fan of Old Bay seasoning. Any suggestions for a suitable substitute?

20. Linda M Forsyth 45

Can’t wait to try this dip!
    I love dill pickles! Thank you for sharing!

21. Bobbie 46

Can this be modified using yogurt rather than cream cheese?

• Cathy 47

You are welcome to try anything you want. It won’t be as good with yogurt though and might be too runny.

22. Megan 48

Looks amazing! For some reason, I see the pictures and want to add tiny shrimp to it. You think that would ruin it?

23. Mike 50

Made this today. The garlic seemed to overpower everything else so we’re going to try it again with no more than half the garlic. Can’t wait to try it then! ?

24. Cyndi 51

I have family members with chewing difficulties (not babies), and we all love dill. I wonder if this would work with dill relish, just as easliy? Thoughts?

25. Lisa Goldsmith 54

A friend sent me a recipe of yours because she knows how much I love dill pickles! I LOVE your site and will start trying all of your recipes! However, A peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich on toasted bread is going to be hard to beat, but I will try your version also! Good Luck!

26. Patty 56

Original recipe posted: curious if you used real dill pickles or Kosher?
    Thanks!

27. Barbara Harwart 57

I will be making this for the weekend…I LOVE dill pickles! My favorite sandwich ever, involves dill pickles…..:) YUM!!!

28. Mike 58

The trick to this is chop the pickles up as much as possible. Not relish size but small. Makes it easier to dip and eat.

29. marj 59

what would you use in lace of old bay seasoning….. i have never heard of that.

• Cathy 60

Old Bay is available everywhere, Spice aisle of your grocery store and often in the meat/seafood section of the market too. It has a very distinct flavor which it adds to this dip.

30. Teri 61

Accidently bought sour cream instead of cream cheese so I made it anyway and just didn’t add the pickle juice ….just put it in refrigerator to develop overnight…I sampled it and know it is going to be scrumptious when served tomorrow…

31. MrsC 62

How important is the red onion? I hate them. I don’t much care for yellow or white onions either but can use the in dips and stews if cooked enough. Can I 86 the onions and still get a good dip?

32. Brenda 64

I’ve never heard of a pickle dip before and I love pickles. I made this and took it to work and it was a hit! Best of all I love it too! Great recipe!! Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I’ll be making it to serve with fish dishes too.

33. Diane Packer 65

I saw this dill pickle dip recipe and wanted to try it. My first attempt is sitting in the fridge ‘maturing’. Allow that in Australia we can’t get, or I haven’t been able to find, Old Bay Seasoning, so I looked for an on-line recipe for a home made version. Grinding up the bay leaves took a bit of time. My initial reaction is that next time I would use less celery salt as I found everything a bit salty. However, as I was mixing I thought a pinch of fennel seed would be a good addition and so it proved.

My initial taste reaction was that this was yummy.

Do you have a recipe for your pretzels? I’ve made some at home, but yours looked good.

Diane

• Cathy 66

They are store bought, sorry.

• Diane Packer 67

Next day verdict is that this recipe is rather good, though I would prefer less saltiness. I had some on toast for breakfast. My husband tasted and thought they would go well with just about anything. I used bought dill pickles as I didn’t have home made. I look forward to trying it again with my own pickles. I also make a zucchini bread and butter pickle which is rather nice and think that this would lend itself well.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Re the pretzels – I’ll just play around with the way I made them before.

34. Sondra Hall 68

Cathy, we love pickles in this house. My oldest daughter started eating pickles and cheddar cheese at age two, we all like to cut a good size dill in half lengthwise and cut a slab of a good cheddar, make a sandwich with the two and chow down. Think you will love it!

35. Shari 69

What kind of onion would you suggestive I don’t have purple onion. I just bought white & yellow onion….Which one should I use in place of the purple?

36. Mary Lynne Madzy 71

Oh my gosh! My friend made this dip for our annual knitting party last night. It was SO good I just had to get online this morning to see if I could find the recipe from what she indicated was in it. I will be having New Year’s Day dinner for my family and this will most certainly be my appetizer.

37. marj 72

I have looked everywhere and I cannot find the Old Bay Seasoning. What can I use in place of it.

38. Diane Packer 73

You can’t get it here in Australia, but I found a couple of ‘copycat’ recipes on line, so you might want to look for those. As I have never tasted the original I can only go by how this turned out. The first time, it seemed way too salty – too much celery salt for me. So second time around I just added used what was left of the mix in the jar and added the same quantities of mustard, pepper, paprika nutmeg all spice, cardamom, cloves and ginger. I had added a pinch of fennel (my touch) and liked it, so repeated this. I liked this second batch much better. A more mellow, rounded flavour, so that’s what I will do for repeats in the future. By the way, I couldn’t get ground bay leaves. Trying to chop them I the blender didn’t work, so I put them in the mortar and pounded with the pestle to break them up as much as possible, then pushed the result through a sieve. That worked quite nicely.

39. Marty 74

This sounds delicious can hardly wait to try it.
    Love love love dill pickles

40. Mary 75

A coworker made this for pot luck lunch and I’m hooked! Delish! However, she used one cup of pickles.

• Diane Packer 76

I’ve always made it with the two cups of pickles and I think it needs that amount. However, last time, I omitted the juice and that was rather nice. I’ve found that the taste in different brands of dill pickles varies. Worth checking out.

41. Lydia 78

I had this recipe already and the person I got it from had Seasoning Salt as a substitute for Old Bay so that is what I have been using. Also, just a tip for people who don’t like onions…..Just get out your grater and grate them on the finest grate ..That way you will get the juice , almost a paste, for your dip but no pieces of onion…just the flavour and in my opinion, you really do need it in this dip. It makes such a difference. Just give it a try……This is such a great dip recipe.. Thank you for sharing all the other pickle recipes to…

42. G 80

I’m making it tonight. For our Daytona race day potluck. Couldn’t find the seasoning at my Lucky store tho. So going to wing it.

43. What is old bay seasoning? We love dill pickles and I want to make this.

• Cathy 82

A seasoning made originally for seafood and available in almost every grocery store. If not in the spice aisle check the meat and seafood department by the counter. Ask a store employee…

44. Rose 83

How far in advance can this be made? How long does it keep?

45. Vicky 85

The pickles you show on this page for the dill pickle recipe look really small, like gerkins. As long as I use a good dill pickle(and is there such a thing as a bad one?)will my recipe come out great???

46. Amanda J. 87

I made this yesterday! It was delicious.

47. Michelle 88

What are some good grocery store brands that pair well with this dip? Mind you, I’m in Oklahoma. Suggestions?

48. Lisa 90

If you are looking for a great pickle, try Vlassic Snackum’s. They are small and when quartered lengthwise are just the right size to chop up for this dip. I also used the Tony Chachere’s seasoning someone else mentioned. It gave it a bit of a kick that we loved! Thanks for the great recipe!

49. Leanne 91

You can purchase Old Bay in Ontario. I just bought some. Check Zehra Walmart. It’s in the spice isle.

50. Michele 92

Im on weight watchers so im always looking for new recipes. Do u think that i could use greek yougurt in place of the cream chrese

• Cathy 93

It might be fairly runny. You can always try it though.

• Diane Packer 94

There is a low fat Philly cream cheese (at least here in Australia) which is what I often use. Be wary of Greek Yoghurt as it is relatively high in fat. There are low fat yoghurts.

51. Kimmy Tejeda 95

I want to add a can of tuna

52. Marissa 96

How many is this recipe supposed to serve?

53. Christina LoBello 98

Do you use dill pickles or gherkins which are sweeter!
    I love pickles and have a wonderful recipe for refrigerator dills…you make them and they are ready the next day…no processing so last a few wks in the fridge..altho I go thru a quart in a few days❗️
    I will be on HH in early November ..will stop by and try❗️

54. Pat 99

That all sounds so good!! What do you think about substituting old bay seasoning with Knorr vegetable soup mix? It goes so well with spinach.

55. Diane Packer 101

I agree with Cathy. If you use something else you’ll end up with a completely different taste. Allow that here in Australia, I can’t buy Old Bay, so I have made a copy cat recipe to which I add a bit of fennel. The only way I vary Cathy’s recipe is that if I use low fat Philly (which is softer) I use a bit less pickle juice, and I do like to add half a chopped jalapeno.

56. kristen 102

Hi!

I love this dish – can you tell me where it is from???

57. Ann Fichtner 104

My family loves those pickle-ham roll up things, I think it’s a lot of work. So I cut up ham and put it in this pickle dip! I had accidentally grabbed low salt Old Bay, so it worked out fine with the saltiness of the ham. It was a hit at my niece’s baby shower. Only thing was I used about 12 oz. of cream cheese (adjusted all else to match) to make it go further, so I ran out of pretzel chips. Tastes pretty good on tortilla chips, in a pinch!

58. Donna 105

What is Old Bay Seasoning, and where can I find it?

59. Kim 106

Does it thicken over time?? My came out very thin