This Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze will have your family and friends up in arms and begging for seconds. Maybe you should make two.
Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze Recipe
Not every dessert recipe needs to be complicated. No one has time for that. This particular concoction gives new meaning to word simple and could even be called pumpkin dump cake in a pinch.
This canned pumpkin and yellow cake mix recipe is the perfect way to doctor up a cake mix. On its own it’s a moist and delicious cake, however, it’s the apple cider glaze that takes this two ingredient cake to a whole new level.
It’s by far the perfect quick and easy recipe to make on a weeknight, for book club or a potluck. It just tastes good.
For those that an aversion to baking from scratch, you just can’t wreck this since a cake mix is involved. It comes out perfect every, single, time.
Ingredients for Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze
- yellow cake mix – any brand will do
- pumpkin puree -this is not “pumpkin pie mix” ` you want the unsweetened/non-spiced version
- confectioners’ sugar – otherwise known as powdered sugar
- apple cider – this does not need to be fresh apple cider, regular bottled apple cider works
- pumpkin pie spice – found in the spice aisle during the fall season or make your own
How to Make Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake With Apple Cider Glaze
Step one: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Step two: Empty the contents of the boxed cake mix and pumpkin puree into a large bowl. Using a hand-mixer or stand mixer beat until well incorporated. The batter will be very thick, but will come together nicely.
Step three: Pour batter into a greased 7 x 11 X 2 pan. (This is the small, rectangular-sized pan from your Pyrex set.)
Step four: Bake for 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not overbake.
Step five: Let cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan, then flip onto a platter.
Step six: Make the glaze while you’re waiting.
Step seven: Combine powdered sugar, apple cider and pumpkin pie spice. Glaze should be thick but pourable. Add more sugar or cider if needed. Pour over the cake while still warm. Reserve some to pour over each slice when served.
Step eight: Serve warm or room temperature.
Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice
If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice on hand, you can make your own with a few ingredients you likely have on hand.
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Mix all ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place up to 6 months.
May be used as a substitute for store-bought pumpkin pie spice and to prepare the recipe for the apple cider glaze.
Can I Use Fresh Pumpkin Puree?
By all means yes!
If you have gone to the trouble of making fresh pumpkin puree, then absolutely use it in place of canned pumpkin puree.
Sugar pumpkins or pie pumpkins are the best for making puree.
As a rule of thumb, a 3-pound pumpkin should yield the same volume as one can of store bought puree. It can vary based on the meatiness of the pumpkin.
- While this recipe calls for a yellow cake mix, it’s also amazing with a spice cake mix.
- This recipe calls for a 7 x 11, rectangular baking pan. If you make it in another size pan, baking times are going to change.
- Before removing your cake from the oven, make sure to check that the middle is set. Use a finger to press down in the middle. It should bounce back, not feel like much.
- Everyone’s oven is different. Your baking time might be different.
- The glaze should be thick, but pourable. If it’s too thin, add more sugar. If it’s too thick, add more cider in small increments.
- Serve while warm….it’s the best.
Pour that glaze over the top and slice when ready. It’s truly the best!!
Other Fall Desserts You Might Enjoy
- Upside Down Apple Pie
- Fresh Apple Spice Bars
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
- Air Fryer Apple Pie Chimichangas
- Mini Pumpkin Pies
Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Cake with Apple Cider Glaze
Two- Ingredient Cake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tbsps apple cider
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Empty the contents of the boxed cake mix and pumpkin puree into a large bowl. Using a hand-mixer or stand mixer beat until well incorporated. The batter will be very thick, but will come together nicely.
- Pour batter into a greased 7 x 11 X 2 pan. (This is the small, rectangular-sized pan from your Pyrex set.)
- Bake for 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan, then flip onto a platter.
- Make the glaze while you're waiting.
- Combine powdered sugar, apple cider and pumpkin pie spice. Glaze should be thick but pourable. Add more sugar or cider if needed. Pour over the cake while still warm. Reserve some to pour over each slice when served.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #NOBLEPIG on INSTAGRAM so we can see what you’ve made. FOLLOW Noble Pig ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER to keep up with all our latest recipes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.