I’m channeling cookout weather! If I continue to make side dishes perfect for a weekend barbecue, maybe mother nature will play along. While we have had a few scattered 80-degree days, the rain and clouds keep inserting themselves into the mix. Let’s face it, the weather in the Pacific Northwest is really not summer-like until July, but I can always hope and continue to eat like the season has arrived.
Anyway, let’s talk about horseradish. Do you love it or hate it? I know I dislike when horseradish is so overwhelming that my nose starts to run. It can really be overpowering. So, don’t worry, this salad is not like that. The horseradish is more of a background flavor. You will know it’s there but it will not assault you.
In fact this salad has so many lovely flavors to celebrate. I absolutely love the way it turned out. I couldn’t help but add some fresh oregano from the garden. Fresh herbs make a regular salad “pop” when it comes to taste. This salad will easily accompany many of your summer favorite grilled foods. Think of serving it on the side with bbq chicken, juicy burgers or thick pork chops. Wow, I’m getting hungry just mentioning all of those things.
Time to make another batch!! Enjoy my friends and until next time….
Spicy Horseradish Macaroni Salad
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup horseradish
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped peperoncini
- 1/3 cup peperoncini juice (from the jar)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked al dente and cooled
- 4 large hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large bowl combine mayonnaise, horseradish, sour cream, Parmesan, peperoncini, peperoncini juice, lemon juice, oregano, black pepper and red pepper flakes. (You can easily make this part a day ahead. Don't worry if the consistency is thin, the pasta will soak it all up.)
- Add pasta, eggs and peas to the mayo-horseradish mixture; combine well. Place in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
Chill for a few hours before serving this flavorful dish.