This magical Mermaid Smoothie Bowl is loved by children and adults alike and has the added benefit of health thanks to blue spirulina powder. The diy mermaid tails are made from frozen yogurt mixed with natural colorings and added to silicone molds. This smoothie bowl is incredibly easy to make at home. Your little mermaid is going to love it.
Dive into Deliciousness with a Mermaid Smoothie Bowl
Wake up your little mermaid or ocean loving kid with a mermaid smoothie bowl. Making a mermaid bowl is simpler than you think (even the mermaid tails), and who wouldn’t want to enjoy such a fun breakfast or dessert?
These bowls of oceanic goodness are packed with wholesome ingredients and topped with a touch of mermaid tail magic. These are a fun summer activity for kids of all ages.
Related: Açaí Smoothie Bowl
Whether you’re looking to make a splash for a party or enjoy just make a whimsical breakfast, these bowls are so enjoyable to make and serve.
Why Everyone Loves These Mermaid Smoothie Bowls
- Vibrant Visual Appeal: The colors and presentation make them an instant eye-catcher. They’re perfect for special occasions (birthday breakfast), mermaid-themed parties, or simply adding a touch of magic to your everyday routine. Wait until you see the excitement on your kid’s face when this arrives on the table.
- Wholesome and Nutritious: These bowls are not just about aesthetics; they’re also packed with nutrient-rich ingredients like yogurt, fruits, and superfood powders. They offer a well-rounded combination of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Something to feel good about.
- Easily Customizable: Mermaid Smoothie Bowls provide endless opportunities for creativity. You can experiment with different fruit combinations, toppings, and even add your own mermaid-inspired touches to make each bowl uniquely yours.
- Refreshing and Satisfying: The creamy texture, tropical flavors, and fruity toppings are a refreshing and satisfying treat that will leaves everyone wanting more.
- Age Doesn’t Matter: These Mermaid Smoothie Bowls have broad appeal and are loved by both children and adults. Your five year old and your college student are both going to love this.
Let’s Talk Mermaid Ingredients
Mermaid smoothie bowl ingredients are simple and nutritious. Full recipe can be found at the bottom of the post.
- Yogurt (any flavor but pale in color): The creamy yogurt helps forms the base of this mermaid smoothie bowl and the mermaid tails, adding to the smooth texture of each bite.
- Blue Spirulina Powder: This blue powder gives the smoothie bowl and the mermaid yogurt tails their oceanic hue. It’s also rich in nutrients, including antioxidants and protein.
- Beet Root Powder: Adds a pop of color to the mermaid yogurt tails, beet root powder gives that lovely pink or purple shade. It’s also known for its potential health benefits, such as supporting cardiovascular health.
- Frozen Bananas: Adds natural sweetness and a creamy texture to the smoothie bowl.
- Mango: The tropical flavor of mango adds a fruity twist to the overall taste profile.
- Dragon Fruit (topping): Dragon fruit, with its subtle sweetness, adds visual appeal and flavor.
- Blueberries (topping): These juicy blue gems bring antioxidant power and a burst of sweet-tart flavor.
- Blackberries (topping): Add a touch of tanginess and a contrast of color to each bite.
Popular Questions about Mermaid Smoothie Bowls
Can I use non-dairy yogurt for Mermaid Smoothie Bowls?
Absolutely! You can substitute non-dairy yogurt options like coconut yogurt or almond milk yogurt to make your Mermaid Smoothie Bowl suitable for a vegan or dairy-free diet.
Where can I find blue spirulina powder and beet root powder?
Blue spirulina powder and beet root powder are available in health food stores, online retailers, or specialized superfood shops. Be sure to choose reputable brands and check for quality and purity. I have the ones I used linked in the recipe card below.
Can I prepare the mermaid yogurt tails in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the mermaid yogurt tails ahead of time and store them in the freezer until you’re ready to assemble your Mermaid Smoothie Bowl. This makes it convenient for quick and easy preparations.
Can I use other fruits for toppings?
Feel free to experiment with a variety of fruits as toppings. Raspberries, kiwi, pineapple, or even edible flowers will add some extra flair to your Mermaid Smoothie Bowl.
Mermaid Bowl Recipe Notes
- When I first tried out the silicone mermaid molds, I was absolutely amazed at how easy it is to do and how detailed they are. To keep this recipe extra healthy I used yogurt to make the
decorations, however you could easily use white chocolate if that is your preference.
- Be aware that the mermaid yogurt decorations begin to melt about 30 minutes out of the freezer. Keep them frozen until you are just about to serve this smoothie bowl.
- I colored some of the yogurt for the decorations with the blue spirulina and some with beet powder. You can experiment with any colors you like. Links to everything I used can be found in the recipe card below.
- You can use any flavor yogurt for this recipe. White/cream color yogurts are best as they are easiest to color. Make sure your yogurt is the smooth and creamy version, without fruit.
- FYI: Blue Spirulina powder is known for its health benefits which include reducing blood pressure, lowering sugar levels and it also improves cholesterol.
- The combination of banana and mango in the smoothie bowl is delicious. I have also tried this recipe with just frozen banana and it’s equally yummy.
- Use any fresh fruit to top the smoothie bowls. I balled the dragon fruit with a melon baller (they look like rocks found at the bottom of the sea) and added seasonal blueberries and blackberries too.
- This is best served and eaten right away. It does melt. Chilling the serving bowl is key.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
More Mermaid Themed Food Ideas
If you’re having a little mermaid themed party, here are some things I might consider putting together.
- Mermaid Toast: Create whimsical toast designs with colorful spreads, like blue cream cheese (use the blue spirulina) swirled like water or avocado spread swirled to look like seaweed, and use green or blue edible glitter or sprinkles for a festive look. Edible gold also looks amazing on this fancy toast.
- Under the Sea Fruit Skewers: Thread different fruits, like watermelon, pineapple, grapes, and blueberries, onto skewers to look an underwater scene. You could use a mermaid tail cookie cutter at the top to cut out watermelon or a starfish cookie cutter would work too.
- Seashell-shaped Cookies: Use seashell silicone molds to bake cookies in the shape of seashells and decorate them with icing and edible pearls or sanding sugar for an edible mermaid-themed treat.
- Seashell Mini Muffins: Here is the cutest seashell pan to make mini muffins. Dust them with powdered sugar.
- Ocean Blue Smoothie Shots: Prepare smaller portions of a blueberry or tropical fruit smoothie and serve them in shot glasses to enjoy alongside their Mermaid Smoothie Bowls. Add these cute mermaid swords to each glass.
- Mermaid Popcorn: Toss popcorn with blue-colored candy melts or edible glitter to make a shimmering and salty-sweet snack.
- Pearl Pita Chips: Serve pita chips or tortilla chips alongside a creamy white dip or hummus, garnishing the hummus with edible pearls or small candy pearls to look like oyster pearls.
- Seaweed Salad: Make a “seaweed” salad, to go with the oceanic theme.
- Blue Jell-O Cups: Individual cups of blue gelatin or Jell-O, topped with whipped cream or edible sea creature-shaped gummies.
Make A Splash
When you decide to turn breakfast into an underwater feast with this mer-mazing Mermaid Smoothie Bowl, don’t forget to snap a photo and tag @NOBLEPIG and #noblepig on INSTAGRAM. I can’t wait to see your re-creations.
How to Make a Mermaid Smoothie Bowl
Mermaid Smoothie Bowl
Mermaid Tail Decorations:
- 1/2 cup yogurt, divided (any flavor, but pale color is advisable)
- 1/8 tsp blue spirulina powder
- 1/8 tsp beet root powder
Mermaid Smoothie Bowl:
- 2 bananas, frozen
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mango (starting with fresh mango means your bowl will start of a little more melty)
- 2 tbsps. yogurt (any flavor, but pale color advisable)
- 1 tsp blue spirulina powder
Mermaid Smoothie Bowl Fruit Topping:
- 1 dragon fruit, made into balls
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup blackberries
- Place the bowl you are going to be serving the smoothie bowl in into the freezer. (This help keeps the smoothie bowl from melting right away.)
Mermaid Tail Decorations:
- Split yogurt between two small bowls. Add blue spirulina powder to one and beetroot powder to the other. Mix well until you have a uniform color.1/2 cup yogurt, divided (any flavor, but pale color is advisable), 1/8 tsp blue spirulina powder, 1/8 tsp beet root powder
- Dollop the colored yogurt randomly into the silicone molds. Use a toothpick to mix the colors together slightly. (See pictures in the post.)
- Place yogurt filled molds in to the freezer for one hour. (These can also be made ahead of time without issue.)
Mermaid Smoothie Bowl:
- Put the frozen banana into a blender and blend until smooth. Add mango, yogurt and spirulina powder and blend again, until fully combined. Add more spirulina powder to reach your desired color if you wish.2 bananas, frozen, 1 cup fresh or frozen mango (starting with fresh mango means your bowl will start of a little more melty), 2 tbsps. yogurt (any flavor, but pale color advisable), 1 tsp blue spirulina powder
- Transfer the smoothie to the chilled bowl and add the yogurt decorations.
- Top with fresh fruit and serve immediately.1 dragon fruit, made into balls, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup blackberries
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.