Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes are here and ready for summer dessert season. These from scratch treats have a delicate crumb and are infused with the sweet flavor of fresh cherries. Each cupcake is finished with just enough of a perfectly (not-too) sweet cherry buttercream and embellished with a cherry on top.
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes with Cherry Buttercream
I made this sweet treat just for you, chocolate-cherry lovers! These cupcakes leave out solid chocolate in favor of cocoa powder, but trust me — they still have that intense chocolate flavor. Cocoa powder really does bring on the rich, deep, and intensely flavored chocolate cupcake you want.
And because every good cupcake deserves an equally good frosting, the pillow of cherry-scented buttercream on top is just the right crowning touch.
Related: Cocoa Mocha Cupcakes
Since this recipe relies on cocoa powder for its intensely rich, chocolate flavor, it’s so simple to put together. Cocoa powder is mostly made from cocoa solids, has a concentrated flavor, and ounce for ounce has the ability to bring more chocolate flavor to baked goods than its solid counterpart. You’re going to love every bite.
The Perfect Combination of Chocolate and Cherry
What is it about chocolate and cherry that goes together so well? I find it’s the perfect blend, especially when it’s dark, rich chocolate and fresh, slightly tart cherries.
- Contrasting Flavors: Chocolate’s inherent sweetness balances with the natural tanginess of cherries. This combo creates such a good contrast that keeps each bite intriguing.
- Textural Harmony: The smoothness of chocolate and the juicy, slightly firm texture of cherries has a good interplay. The velvety chocolate coats your palate, while the cherry flavor adds the unexpected pop.
- Visual Appeal: The dark color of chocolate complements the red cherries. They are so striking together.
- Nostalgia: So many memories. Who remembers the boxes of cherry cordials from the drug store? Or chocolate cherry milkshakes from the drive-in? The best!
Cupcakes Made With the Best Ingredients
Full recipe can be found at the bottom of the post.
For the cupcakes:
- All-purpose flour: This flour provides structure to the cupcakes while ensuring a tender crumb.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: Adds the rich chocolate flavor to the cupcakes.
- Baking soda and baking powder: These leavening agents help the cupcakes rise and become light and fluffy.
- Salt: Enhances the overall flavor and balances the sweetness.
- Granulated sugar: Provides sweetness and helps to create a moist texture.
- Vegetable oil: Adds moisture and contributes to a tender crumb.
- Eggs: Bind the ingredients together and add structure to the cupcakes.
- Vanilla extract: Infuses a warm and aromatic flavor.
- Milk: Keeps the cupcakes moist and tender.
- Fresh cherries: The star of the show! They bring their natural sweetness and a burst of cherry flavor to every bite.
For the cherry buttercream:
- Unsalted Butter: The rich and creamy base for the frosting.
- Confectioners’ Sugar (Powdered Sugar): Sweetens the frosting and creates a smooth consistency.
- Cherry Preserves: Adds a concentrated burst of cherry flavor to the buttercream.
- Fresh Cherries (for topping each cupcake): A visual and fruity surprise.
More Cupcake Recipes to Sweeten Your Day
Cupcakes are small bundles of joy that make the world a sweeter place! Happiness would be a cupcake in each hand.
- Key Lime Cupcakes
- Dreamy Orange Cupcakes
- Pina Colada Cupcakes with Coconut Whipped Cream
- Zucchini-Pistachio Cupcakes
- Coconut Overload Cupcakes
- Funfetti Firecracker Cupcakes
- Coconut-Pineapple Cupcakes with Pineapple-Cream Cheese Frosting
- Angel Food Cupcakes
Cherry On Top
When life gives you cherries, and you decide to make these cupcakes, don’t forget to snap a photo and tag @NOBLEPIG and #noblepig on INSTAGRAM. These cherry cupcakes are the ultimate sweet escape.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
How To Make Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes:
Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F, and prepare a 12 count cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and granulated sugar.1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp table salt, 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Add vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract and milk. Beat together until completely combined. Fold in chopped cherries.1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 large eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/3 cup milk, room temperature, 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle returns clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until smooth and creamy. Add the confectioners' sugar gradually, until completely combined. Add cherry preserves, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the desired flavor and color is reached.1 cup unsalted butter, softened, 3 cups confectioners' sugar, 1/3 cup cherry preserves, 12 fresh cherries for topping
- Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag and frost each cupcake. Top with a cherry. (Using a piping bag is optional and just for presentation.)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.