Mixed Berry & Cherry Clafoutis

I love cherry season.  I have such great memories as a kid going cherry picking.  My brother and I would sit in the trees and just eat until we couldn't possibly be any stickier.  Of course it was always hot which seemed to just compound the stickiness factor.  However we never seemed to care.

My friend's Loran
 and Mike dropped a giant bowl of cherries off the other day picked fresh from Mike's father's tree.  I couldn't resist using them for something good.

The first thing that came to mind was a Mixed-Berry and Cherry Clafoutis.  This is a traditional custard-like French dessert.  I love it because it is very rustic.  As the clafoutis bakes the berries and cherries burst into the batter flavoring the custard with their juices.

When topped with a sweet whipped cream, it's perfect since the clafoutis itself is not overwhelmingly sweet.

A traditional French clafoutis often leaves the cherry pits in the fruit but I prefer them out.  It's just more enjoyable for me to eat that way.

You won't believe how easy this is to make.  It's also the perfect way to use up all that summer fruit.

Let's make it together...I promise simplicity.

Here's the ingredients you will need:  Mixed berries, cherries, whole milk, superfine sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, salt, white flour and powdered sugar.

This is one of my favorite kitchen tools, a cherry pitter.  It makes de-pitting a heck of a lot easier.  You will need to de-pit 2 cups of cherries.  Hmmm.....I can think of other uses for this device.  But I won't go there.

In a large pouring vessel (this is an 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup) whisk together 2-1/2 cups whole milk, 1 cup of sugar (with 8 Tablespoons removed), 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 6 eggs, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 cups all-purpose flour.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place eight 1/4 cup capacity heat proof dishes in the oven to preheat, at least 5-10 minutes. Creme brulee dishes work great.

After dishes are preheated divide the 2 cups of cherries and 2 cups of mixed berries (raspberries and blueberries) evenly between the eight dishes.

Sprinkle each dish with  1 Tablespoon superfine sugar that was set aside.

Evenly ladle the egg mixture into all eight dishes.  Quickly return to the oven and bake individual dishes for 25-35 minutes or until no longer runny.

The batter will really puff up in the oven.

Right out of the oven, see how tall they are?  They will deflate soon after removing them.

Then you will have these gorgeous things.

It's the oozing berries that really get me with this dessert.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar...

Or just add a very large dollop of sweet whipped cream.  You will love it.  You really will.

Mixed Berry and Cherry Clafoutis
adapted from Bron Marshall

2 cups mixed berries (I used raspberries and blueberries) fresh or frozen
2 cups whole cherries, pits removed
2-1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup superfine sugar (known as Baker's or caster sugar)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups plain white flour
Powdered sugar to dust
Whipped cream to serve with

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Place eight, 1 cup capacity, strong heat proof dishes onto a baking sheet and into the oven to preheat.

Remove eight Tablespoons of the superfine sugar from the 1 cup of sugar and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large pouring vessel, whisk together the milk, the remaining sugar, vanilla, eggs, salt and flour.

Remove the heated dishes from the oven and divide the cherries and berries evenly between them.

Sprinkle with the sugar that was set aside, one Tablespoon per dish, and evenly ladle the egg mixture over the fruit.

Quickly return to the oven and bake the individual dishes on a baking sheet for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the center is no longer runny and dishes are puffed up and golden brown.  You will need to watch your oven.  Cooking times will vary depending on your oven.

Dust with powdered sugar and serve with a dollop of sweet whipped cream. Enjoy!

Serve at room temperature.

1. Lori 1

Wow, this looks so good! I was doubting a little in the beginning but you’re right…this does look really simple to make – my kind of recipe! :)

2. Neen 2

The consistency looks a little like bread pudding… am I off on that? Sigh, oh for a cherry pitter. Another cool gadget to put on my ‘list of things to covet.’

By the way, I’ve given you an award! Step by my blog to check it out.

3. I come from a family where chocolate reigns supreme, but every time someone makes a fruit dessert everyone decides that it is the only thing to serve.
    I think I’d be queen of the day if I served this. I’m most definitely bookmarking this one, Cathy!

4. While this dish look absolutely delish, I’m not a fan of the cherry, so I’d probably substitute other berries in this recipe. Have you ever tried strawberries? Strawberry and blueberry picking season are coming up back here so I’ll have my hands on a ton of fresh fruit. This might be a good way to use some of it!

5. My gosh, Cathy! Those look great! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

6. That pitter looks very similar to one I had in the past – I used it for olives. :)

This is such a fantastic dessert, Cathy. Did you manage to eat all the dishes? I could help you with one or two… ;)

7. Cherries – love them! Both my dad and I opt for a sour cherry pie as our birthday cake of choice. Mom and dad have SC trees around their home so usually the supply source isn’t a problem. Last year there was a hard freeze after the cherries were in full bloom – not one cherry to be had! Dad and I were bereft! Your clafouti looks delicious and a dessert I might possibly be able to make without screwing up. (Not big on desserts and certainly an abysmal baker – tho I’m a decent cook otherwise.)

Once again you have outdone yourself, Cathy!

Your pictures always look so great! Your kitchen and set up prior to baking looks so organized and neat. Can I come live with you? lol Great post.

9. Amanda 9

Cathy,
    I simply love your site, and what u do here! :) everytime i visit, i will most certainly bookmark your recipes! it is really helpful to have all the steps by step instructions with pictures. *hug* many thanks beautiful!

Amanda

10. This looks amazing. Like you don’t already know that. If I ate that dessert, my butt would grow bigger for sure!

11. Oh those are beautiful! My mouth is literally watering!

12. I have never made clafoutis – it’s such a pretty dish, I should give it a try. Yours are stunning…and if I did make it, I would pit the cherries too. Who needs a broken tooth?

13. Tipper 13

Those look great-and I don’t even like cherries!

14. Daziano 14

OMG!!! I want a cherry pitter NOW!!!

Love your clafoutis!!! They look awsome and I’m sure they tasted wonderful!

15. Greta 15

Me want cherrie bowlies!!!

We are headed out for our annual cherry picking in a few weekends. Can’t wait to try this one out!

17. Beautiful! What a great recipe. I am going to save that last picture to use on my desktop today at work. :)

18. sharon 18

Those are gorgeous! I just bought a bag of cherries.

I feel as if I have ever kitchen gadget imaginable, but I do not have a cherry pitter! Thanks for alerting me to one more thing I should go buy :)

This looks delicious and a good way to use our fruit. What kind of cherries are you using? Are they sour or sweet? We grow pie cherries (Queen Anne or Royal Ann) which are really sour. Are these maybe Bing cherries?

I love cherries and I’m definitely going to make this for July 4th. It will be a hit for sure. Thanks!

That cherry pitter looks like a very kinky… ummm useful tool, lol.

21. Elle 21

Cathy, these look so good! I’ve always wanted to make clafouti. This looks like a great place to start–cherries are one of my favorites!

22. Bravo! I love fabulous food and this clafoutis is definitely fabulous! (The photos aren’t bad either!)

23. Dave 23

Lovely. I’m drooling. Just wish I could find sour cherries here in Phoenix, AZ. Maybe I’ll try this using blueberries instead.

24. i say this only because i care
    please
    toss the mortons iodized salt
    please
    just do it for me

your cherries deserve better

(beautiful recipe)

25. Cathy 25

Thanks for your suggestion however….

Although most foods probably taste better with un-iodized salt – It’s absence in gourmet cooking or some households has potential dire consequences – especially if deficiency develops during pregnancy or in the newborn’s diet.  See these articles on the web – link to newmediaexplorer.org.  This has more information and pictures – link to perchloratesymposium.com.
    < ?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
    I do use varying salts in my recipes but this one only has a 1/4 teaspoon in a large amount of liquid so I don’t believe the taste would be affected.  Of course you can use whatever salt you want.

i’ve seen many a clafoutis lately, but i’m being completely honest when i say that yours is the best-looking one yet. i don’t know if it’s the stellar combination of berries or your cute dishes or if i’m just biased because i think you’re hilarious. lovely. :)

27. giz 27

You cwack me up Cathy – I read the title on the reader and thought – ok..what does that mean. The clafoutis is gorgeous and thanx for the links on salt – really helpful.

28. Hillary 28

Those look so tasty and easy enough! Love cherries!

29. Now that’s my kind of desert. My grandmother had cherry trees but she never made this.

30. Scarpin beat me to it: Pitting olives! Yay.

And Claudia… well, she’s a problem child. But iodized salt is probably more a culprit of mushy food texture than “bad” flavor. It’s up to the cook to choose, depending on the recipe.

31. Jules 31

OMG, this looks so good..I wanna make it right now!!

32. ALF 32

Look at you with your cherry pitter – you’re so high tech!

Mmm. But I hate cherries. (Sorry! Sorry!) May I make it using just big fat blackberries?

34. mmmm, if only I could get my hands on a cherry “depitter” Maybe I need to go to Sur La Table

35. I haven’t made clafoutis for eons… you have me thinking about making it very soon…as I love it.

You know, I’ve must be naive, but I’ve never seen a cherry pitter before – bet it has lots of uses ;0

36. This looks like a nice summer dessert. Actually, I just saw Laura Calder, a Canada Food TV chef make a similar recipe on her show. You can check it out here“>http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=9057″>here.

The cherry pitter is very cool.

37. leslie 37

yes, I guess we had the same idea..Cherry are so yummy. However looks like yours had a happy ending unlike my cherry ricotta muffins did!

38. Jessica 38

Looks great! I love the bright colors! That cherrie pitter is really cool.

39. Linda 39

Just beautiful!

40. Harrie 40

This looks incredible. So colorful.

41. nina 41

I grew up in an area renowned for the cherries, so I share your childhood memory with you. Thanks for the photos and step-by-step guidance to this wonderful dessert.

42. Monkee 42

Oooo baby… this is sexayyyy. I wish it was summer already.

43. Wow this dessert looks so good.

44. barbara 44

Thanks for dropping by my site. Fabulous clafouti.

45. Rick 45

Looks GOOD – very good.

46. jill 46

Wow! These are beautiful and look super easy. What a combo! I’m bookmarking for the th of July :)

47. Kevin 47

Those look really good! I will have to try a clafoutis.

48. Kari 48

Wow! Those are beautiful and look so good!

49. Wow–those look delicious and easy! I’m makin’ ’em!! I have the perfect heart-shaped creme brulee dishes too…

50. I love, love, LOVE Clafoutis…not too over the top about them, am I?? :-)

51. Medena 51

Oh, love just thinking of what it might taste like! Great recipe, so simple; will save, and give it a try!

52. Lore 52

Ooo, I’m so bookmarking this one for the times when Clafoutis will no longer intimidate me :). Looks perfect! I love everything cherry…that might be because I was born during cherry season.
    You should send this over to Nutriferia, for the Berrylicious event.

53. Chris 53

Love the website. I made the cherry clafouti last night and it came out great.

But i do have one minor correction to the recipe. You call for eight 1/4 cup capacity baking dishes. However the recipe calls for at least 10 cups of ingredients. No way 10 cups will fit into 2 cups worth of containers. I had clafouti coming out my ears. (Not a bad thing btw).

54. Cathy 54

I am so glad you caught this error!

It should read 1 cup capacity baking dishes.

Thank you!

55. Deborah 55

These are serious gorgeous!

56. Kristen 56

Oh – I must get one of those cherry pitter things.
    These look great!

57. Ooh, delicious! I love cherries, but I usually just eat/spit. Might have to try to bake with them soon, though. :)

58. Amanda 58

Love the description of your town. I just got a “right on red” ticket there yesterday. Since when can you not turn right on a red? Guess I should have been paying attention! Love your site. great food.