Even if you’re a red sauce devotee, this White Pizza Sauce recipe just might enlighten your taste buds to the tasty power of a white sauced pie – especially when an alliance of the perfect cheese and toppings are chosen accordingly.
White Pizza Sauce Recipe
Everyone deserves great pizza and my preference for sauce has always been this garlicky white version.
If you’re more partial to a tomato based sauce, I highly suggest making my homemade pizza sauce with fennel seed. It’s really, really good and always my choice if it’s going to be a night for red sauce.
Regardless of what sauce you choose, make sure to give my no fail pizza crust recipe a try. You’ll find it comes out perfect every time.
White Garlic Pizza Sauce Ingredients
salted butter – I like the extra flavor from salted butter, but if you prefer or only have unsalted, that is fine too.
minced garlic – an absolute must for this garlicky white sauce
cornstarch – arrowroot powder or tapioca starch are great replacements if you are avoiding this ingredient
half-and-half – heavy cream or whole milk can be substituted, but I find half-and-half gives the perfect mouthfeel
Parmesan cheese – you want to use fresh cheese so it melts well and blends into the sauce. Pre-grated or pre-shredded cheese contains additives that keeps it from melting well and would causes the sauce to be somewhat gritty and clumpy.
sea salt -if you use regular table salt, reduce the amount by half
dried oregano leaves, Italian seasoning, black pepper and onion powder – flavor boosters
GET THE FULL (PRINTABLE) RECIPE FOR WHITE PIZZA SAUCE BELOW. ENJOY!
My Favorite White Sauce Pizza
If I have a choice, I will always choose a white-sauced pizza over red any day! Even if it’s a pepperoni kind of night, white sauce is still my first choice. And if you’re team pineapple pizza like me, it’s one of the best combinations hands down!
My ultimate pizza includes my homemade dough, this white sauce, a three cheese trifecta that includes Gruyere, a young Tuscan Pecorino and Buffalo Mozzarella.
When it comes out of the oven I top with some arugula that’s been tossed in olive oil and a few shreds of prosciutto.
It’s absolutely delicious!
If you aren’t planning to use the sauce immediately, store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze the sauce in a freezer-safe container for 4-6 months. When you’re ready to use, allow the sauce to thaw in the refrigerator and then gently heat with a bit of fresh cream or milk and whisk to combine.
Can I Use This Sauce For Anything Else?
This makes a great dipping sauce for breadsticks, crackers, or vegetables. You could even use it as a small batch of pasta sauce or serve over cooked chicken.
Other Kinds of Pizza Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Dill Pickle and Hot Pastrami Deli Pizza
- Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Salad
- Hawaiian Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Mini Pepperoni Pizza Pancakes
- Pepperoni Pizza Puffs
- Cheesy Four Mushroom White Pizza
- Pizza Potatoes
- Penne Pasta Pizza Bake
FYI: Please join our NOBLE PIG FACEBOOK GROUP for a more in depth look at recipes, cooking tips and other member contributions.
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
White Pizza Sauce
White Pizza Sauce:
- 2 tbsps (28 g) butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 2 tbsps (1 g) cornstarch
- 1 cup (250 ml) half and half
- 1/2 cup (29 g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsps Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp finely ground sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
White Pizza Sauce:
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the garlic and heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in cornstarch a little at a time so you don't get any lumps.)2 tbsps (28 g) butter, 1 tbsp minced garlic (about 4 cloves), 2 tbsps (1 g) cornstarch
- Pour in half-and-half and whisk until combined. Reduce heat to low and simmer; stirring often, for 3-5 minutes or until sauce is thickened to your liking. (Cook a few more minutes if your sauce is too thin. If your sauce is too thick, add a bit more half-and-half.)1 cup (250 ml) half and half
- Turn off heat and add Parmesan cheese. Whisk until melted and smooth.1/2 cup (29 g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Stir in Italian seasoning, sea salt, black pepper, oregano and onion powder.2 tsps Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp finely ground sea salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves, 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Spread on your pizza crust immediately. If you do not plan to use the sauce right away, allow it to cool before placing in an airtight container into the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.