There is something so delicious about this mushroom loaded and extra cheesy pizza! Two types of fresh mushrooms, button and baby bellas and two types of dried mushrooms, porcini and shitake make of every bite of this pizza favorite.
We definitely have some mushroom lovers in our household, and any chance we get to enjoy them, we go for it. White pizza sauce has also been on my mind lately, it’s a nice change from the regular red sauce variety I tend to make.
If I had to pick a favorite pizza recipe, Hawaiian, with lots of pineapple would win hands down. However, no one in my family really likes it (not sure what that’s about). It’s rare I get to enjoy it so I am always coming up with other pizza concoctions I know I will love. This one is no exception.
I used four types of mushrooms for this recipe. All have different textures and flavors, which gives this pizza a nice complexity and meatiness. My oldest son loves mushrooms and he went crazy for this version. He asked for it two days in a row…imagine that.
I highly suggest making my Quick-No Fail-Pizza Dough for this recipe. While store-bought is perfectly acceptable, homemade dough is just so much better. I know you will be a convert once you try it.
I used two types of fresh mushrooms, button and baby bellas and two types of dried mushrooms, porcini and shitake. I rehydrated the dried mushrooms in boiling water. First, I sautéed the fresh mushrooms in butter, adding the rehydrated mushrooms to the pan a little later. Pre-cooking the mushrooms removes lots of their water content so your pizza crust doesn’t get soggy.
Don’t these look amazing?
To the pizza crust I added a layer of rosemary infused ricotta cheese, then mozzarella, then the mushrooms with more mozzarella cheese on top. I also drizzled the pizza with olive oil before placing it in the oven.
The mild flavor males this dish kid-friendly. My husband and I sprinkled red pepper flakes and freshly ground pepper over our slices for a kicked-up taste.
White Four-Mushroom Pizza
- 12 oz pizza dough, homemade (recipe link above) or store-bought
- 1-1/4 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 Tablespoon chopped rosemary, fresh
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic salt (such as Lawry's)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sauteed, sliced assorted mushrooms (such as button, baby bellas, porcini and shitake
- 2-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- red pepper flakes, optional
- freshly ground black pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, rosemary and garlic salt. Set aside.
- Add butter to a nonstick saute pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until cooked through. If you are using any dried mushrooms, first cook any fresh mushrooms, adding the dried (rehydrated) ones at the end. This helps remove any excess water. Salt mushrooms to taste.
- Spread ricotta cheese mixture evenly over pizza dough. Sprinkle on half of the mozzarella cheese. Add mushrooms in a single layer and follow with remaining mozzarella cheese. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until done. Let sit for 2 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and freshly ground pepper.