Have you ever roasted asparagus? It intensifies its woodsy flavor and makes each stalk succulent and flavorful. If you haven’t tried this method before, This Roasted Asparagus with Bacon and Parmesan Cream is your chance to experience something really outstanding.
I have loved asparagus since I was a little kid. My dad hooked me on just dipping his steamed asparagus in mayonnaise and enjoying it that way. I can hardly imagine eating it like that now. I prefer roasted and a sauce that is a little more appetizing and appealing than a big dollop of plain mayo. You’ll probably agree with me on that one. Makes me kind of chuckle just thinking about all of it. But I did love it prepared that way, save your judgement for later.
As an adult, I realized a lot of people will not eat asparagus because of the odor it causes when they go potty. I love asparagus too much to hold that against this delicious spring vegetable.
However, I do know how hard asparagus can be to pair with wine. Another adult problem! Luckily for all of us, I have written about the whole wine and asparagus debacle so you too can know what to expect when it comes drinking adult beverages with your beloved asparagus. Your welcome.
And this sauce…it’s so easy to whip up and will forever change the way you serve and eat this veggie. I’ve come a long way since the mayonnaise dipping.
Serve this at your next brunch for lots of oohs, awes and eye-rolling deliciousness.
Roasted Asparagus with Bacon and Parmesan Cream
- 2 bunches asparagus, fibrous ends removed
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 large egg yolks, room temp
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk, slightly warmed on the stove
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon finely grated nutmeg
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Toss asparagus with olive oil, salt and black pepper to taste. Place on a large, rimmed foil-lined baking tray and roast in the oven for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, ⅛ cup warmed milk and Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Whisk this mixture into the remaining warmed milk.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the flour. Continue to whisk for 1 minute, to help remove the flour taste. Turn down the heat if it starts to brown. Slowly add the egg mixture, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Continue to cook until the sauce has thickened and will coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan, lemon zest and cayenne. Add salt to taste.
- Drizzle sauce over asparagus and sprinkle with bacon crumbles. Serve.
Other Roasted Asparagus Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Roasted Asparagus with Mustard-Dill Vinaigrette
Garlic Roasted Asparagus
Roasted Asparagus with a Honey-Citrus Dressing
Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
Balsamic Parmesan Roasted Asparagus and Tomatoes