Without hesitation, this buffalo chicken mac and cheese takes a prime spot on my list of most-loved recipes for bursting-with-flavor pasta comfort dishes. The chicken and pasta combined with the creamy, velvety cheese sauce with a kick is one you soon won’t forget.
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
Buffalo chicken macaroni and cheese – when comfort food gets a spicy makeover and becomes a fierce, fusion of flavors.
If you adore buffalo sauce, it’s time to expand your horizons beyond wings. This chicken mac and cheese remix features an abundance of hot wing sauce, a trifecta of cheeses, and a crunchy topping to finish it all off.
Related: Buffalo Chicken Dip
As tailgating season approaches, this is the perfect macaroni cheese to serve with all your other football party food. Just imagine the cheers from your fellow fans as they devour every bite.
Related: Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Why You’ll Love It
- The use of rotisserie chicken makes this dish incredibly convenient and time-saving.
- The combination of extra sharp cheddar, pepper jack, and blue cheese results in a harmonious blend of flavors.
- A satisfyingly spicy kick with the incorporation of Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce.
- Creaminess galore thanks to the addition of half-and-half and sour cream.
- The inclusion of blue cheese in the crunchy topping adds a touch of depth and boldness.
- Visual and textural appeal with the contrast of smooth, creamy mac and cheese with the crispy panko and cheese topping.
- As tailgating season approaches, this recipe is an absolute showstopper to share with your fellow football enthusiasts.
See the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions, this list is just an overview.
- Unsalted butter: Provides richness and flavor to the cheese sauce.
- Kosher salt (for the pasta water): Enhances the pasta’s flavor as it cooks.
- Elbow macaroni: The main pasta component, creating the base for the dish.
- Yellow onion: Adds aromatic and savory depth to the overall flavor.
- Celery: Provides a subtle crunch and additional flavor.
- Rotisserie chicken: Adds protein and a savory dimension to the dish.
- Garlic: Infuses a delicious aroma and taste.
- Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce: Introduces tangy, spicy buffalo flavor to the dish.
- All-purpose flour: Used to thicken the sauce.
- Dry mustard: Adds a hint of tanginess and depth to the flavor.
- Half-and-half: Contributes creaminess to the sauce.
- Extra sharp cheddar cheese: Melts into the sauce, creating a rich and cheesy texture.
- Pepper jack cheese: Adds a touch of heat and creaminess.
- Sour cream: Enhances creaminess and tanginess.
- Panko: Creates a crispy topping for texture contrast.
- Blue cheese: Offers a bold and tangy flavor profile.
- Fresh parsley: Adds a fresh, aromatic element to the final presentation.
Reheating can alter the texture slightly, but macaroni and cheese is still enjoyable even after storage.
- Refrigeration: If you have leftovers, let the macaroni and cheese cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Place it in an airtight container to prevent moisture loss and absorption of other odors in the fridge.
- Use Within 3-5 Days: Consume refrigerated macaroni and cheese within 3-5 days to ensure freshness and optimal flavor.
- Reheating: To reheat, gently heat portions in the microwave or on the stovetop. Adding a splash of milk will help maintain creaminess.
- Freezing: If you want to freeze macaroni and cheese, do so before baking. Portion it into smaller containers or freezer-safe bags for easier reheating later.
- Thawing: When ready to enjoy frozen mac and cheese, transfer it from the freezer to the refrigerator to thaw overnight.
- Reheating from Frozen: Reheat frozen macaroni and cheese in the oven or microwave. Cover it with foil to prevent excessive drying or burning while reheating.
- Texture Consideration: Keep in mind that frozen and reheated macaroni and cheese may have a slightly different texture than freshly made. However, the flavors should still be delicious.
- Add Freshness: For a quick freshness boost, consider adding a small amount of milk or cream when reheating to restore some of the creamy texture.
More Cheesy Mac and Cheese Creations
I’m positive macaroni and cheese contributes to our emotional well-being through its nostalgia and warmth. It’s both soothing and indulgent and so easy to prepare!
- Gnocchi mac and cheese – a mouth-wateringly complex blend of flavors. and pure comfort food.
- Sneak more veggies into your weekly meal plan with this pumpkin mac and cheese.
- Cheeseburger mac and cheese that’s absolutely delicious!
- This mac n’ kim-cheese tastes like you got it straight from your favorite food truck.
When this flavor explosion gets made in your kitchen, don’t forget to snap a photo and tag @NOBLEPIG and #noblepig on INSTAGRAM. I want to see how yours turned out.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
How to Make It
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese:
- 7 tbsps. unsalted butter, (divided) plus more for the baking dish
- kosher salt
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce, divided
- 2 tbsps. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps. dry mustard
- 2-1/2 cups half and half
- 1 lb. extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tbsps. chopped fresh parsley
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese:
- Preheat oven to 350 °F and butter a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain.1 lb. elbow macaroni, kosher salt
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken and garlic and cook 2 minutes, then add 1/2 cup wing sauce and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 more minute.7 tbsps. unsalted butter, (divided) plus more for the baking dish, 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped, 2 stalks celery, finely chopped, 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 3/4 cup Frank's Buffalo Wing Sauce, divided
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mustard with a wooden spoon until smooth. Whisk in the half-and-half, then add the remaining 1/4 cup hot sauce and stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, then whisk in the sour cream until smooth.2 tbsps. all-purpose flour, 2 tsps. dry mustard, 2-1/2 cups half and half, 1 lb. extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, 8 oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded, 2/3 cup sour cream
- Spread half of the macaroni in the prepared baking dish, then top with the chicken mixture and the remaining macaroni. Pour the cheese sauce evenly on top. Put the remaining 2 Tablespoons butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until melted. Stir in the panko, blue cheese and parsley. Sprinkle over the macaroni. Bake until bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Drizzle with some wing sauce for color.1 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, 2 tbsps. chopped fresh parsley
- Garnish with even more wing sauce, blue cheese and sour cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.