This Overnight (make-ahead) breakfast casserole with biscuits, bacon, sausage and tater tots is the perfect back-pocket recipe for when you’re hosting brunch or overnight guests. This easy breakfast casserole recipe treats you to all the best parts of a breakfast plate in a single bite.
Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole
I remember eating a lot of breakfast casseroles growing up. If there was a group to be fed before the noon hour, some version of a baked dish of eggs, sausage, bacon, cheese and day-old bread would make its way from the oven. However, as an adult, I’ve noticed that the classic and beloved breakfast casserole is something not many of my peers grew up with. What?
The appeal of a make-ahead version of breakfast casserole is this… everything is thrown into a baking dish the night before, which allows the biscuits or bread to soak up the egg-and-milk mixture overnight and you bake it off in the morning. No one is left standing at the stove making individual omelettes or batches of pancakes. And this beats standing in line outside at a crowded restaurant.
This particular overnight casserole is reminiscent of the gooey cheddar and sausage casseroles of my youth. You could use a more sophisticated cheese if you’d like, but I promise it’s delicious as is!
Recipe Variations For This Simple Breakfast Casserole
- Feel free to use a different flavored sausage, just make sure it’s seasoned.
- You can use a mixture of bell peppers – red, orange, yellow, or just stick with green.
- The cheese is absolutely interchangeable, Colby Jack works well or fontina for a more complex taste.
- You can substitute whole milk, but the half and half really does add a nice richness to this recipe.
Here Are Some Breakfast Casserole Recipe Pointers To Keep In Mind
- Using a seasoned sausage, like Jimmy Dean means you don’t have to add a lot of other seasonings to this recipe. I used a spicy version, but you can use regular/mild if you prefer.
- Your baking dish will be full. I find that a 9 x 13 with 3″ high sides works best.
- While this recipe is perfect for the holidays like Christmas or Thanksgiving morning or Easter, it’s also great for any weekend family get-together or kids home from college. This is great if you have houseguests and prefer to have breakfast prepared ahead of time.
- This recipe is packed with flavor, only top with additional salt and pepper after it has been baked and you have tasted it.
- Hot sauce makes a great garnish for this dish.
- My favorite way to serve this overnight breakfast casserole is with a fresh fruit salad and coffee cake or sweet rolls. It’s the perfect breakfast or brunch meal!
Can You Freeze An Overnight Breakfast Casserole?
To freeze your make-ahead breakfast casserole, prepare the complete recipe, but avoid baking it. Cover the pan with plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil, and store in the freezer for two to three months. When you’re ready to use it, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and let come to room temperature before baking according to the recipe instructions.
Wake Up And Smell The Casserole
With breakfast casseroles, you can have your breakfast and eat it too – no need to choose between savory or sweet, or between eggs or bacon. They are the ultimate breakfast powerhouses, packing a punch of flavor, protein, and comfort in every bite.
- This hassle-free cinnamon roll casserole, with its flaky layers and sweet, rich flavor, is the perfect way to start your day off right.
- Kielbasa-bagel breakfast casserole – the perfect marriage of savory and satisfying.
- Indulge in a heavenly breakfast experience with this bacon, tomato, and cheddar breakfast casserole, complete with perfectly baked eggs.
- Prepare for a decadent holiday breakfast with ease by assembling this panettone French toast casserole the night before.
- Apple pie French toast bake, a mouthwatering dish requiring minimal effort and boasts deliciously comforting flavors of warm apple pie and custardy French toast.
- Streusel-topped overnight French toast you’ll savor with the sweet, cinnamon-spiced flavors in every bite.
- A decadent and sumptuous brunch recipe, this savory egg casserole will have you wondering why you make eggs any other way.
Breakfast Fairy Godmother
When you decide to wave your whisk and magically transform a few simple ingredients into this delicious breakfast casserole, feel free to snap a photo and tag @NOBLEPIG and #noblepig on INSTAGRAM. I’d love to see you enjoy this gift from your past self to your future self – a delicious breakfast without any of the morning rush!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Overnight Breakfast Casserole
- 1 tube (16.3 oz.) Pillsbury Grands, Southern Homestyle Biscuits, Buttermilk
- 1 (32 oz.) bag frozen tater tots
- 2 cups seasoned sausage, browned and drained, (I used Jimmy Dean Hot sausage)
- 2 cups chopped, green bell peppers
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 slices bacon, fully cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup sliced green onion
- 7 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp finely ground black pepper
- Using a sharp knife, cut each biscuit into quarters. Set aside.1 tube (16.3 oz.) Pillsbury Grands, Southern Homestyle Biscuits, Buttermilk
- Place tater tots on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.1 (32 oz.) bag frozen tater tots
- Top tots with cooked sausage, bell peppers, biscuit chunks, cheese, bacon and green onion.2 cups seasoned sausage, browned and drained, (I used Jimmy Dean Hot sausage), 2 cups chopped, green bell peppers, 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, 10 slices bacon, fully cooked and crumbled, 1/3 cup sliced green onion
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half and seasonings. Pour egg mixture evenly over the casserole.7 large eggs, 1-1/2 cups half and half, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp table salt, 1/4 tsp finely ground black pepper
- Cover casserole tightly with saran wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- While is oven is preheating, remove the chilled casserole from the refrigerator so it is not so cold going into the oven.
- Bake casserole for 50-55 minutes or until eggs are cooked through, especially in the middle of the casserole. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.