If you’re looking for a delicious, but low-effort weekend breakfast or a make-ahead quick treat for school or a busy work day, this apple pie French toast bake is for you.
Overnight French Toast Bake Recipe
Whether you are looking for the perfect holiday breakfast or just a cozy weekend meal, this breakfast bake is for you.
This casserole comes together quickly and with little effort. It has also been kid-tested (many times) and loved!
This French toast bake is guaranteed to please. It’s great with homemade or canned pie filling. While you can purchase a loaf of brioche or sourdough, I keep a large bag of bread in the freezer that’s on its way to getting to stale. I cube the bread as necessary and keep it on hand for this yummy breakfast bake.
Ingredients You’ll Need For This French Toast Casserole
Regular ingredients that come together into the most delicious breakfast.
bread – any bread works, but if you need to purchase bread to make this I would suggest brioche, sourdough or challah
eggs – make sure they are size large
milk – it’s best made with whole milk, but any milk will do
sour cream – adds a creamy texture and tanginess, use the full-fat version
vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt– flavor boosters
apple pie filling – using canned filling makes this easy to get on the table quickly, however, homemade filling also works well (use approximately 2-1/2 cups)
all-purpose flour – gives your topping the texture you want
butter – use European butter for the best flavor
brown sugar – golden or dark works for this recipe
GET THE FULL (PRINTABLE) OVERNIGHT APPLE PIE FRENCH TOAST BAKE RECIPE BELOW. ENJOY!
SIDE DISH SERVING SUGGESTIONS
There are so many delicious things to enjoy with this breakfast bake starting with hash browns and bacon!
Home fries are a crunchy breakfast staple that pair perfectly with this breakfast bake.
Coffee anyone? A homemade caramel macchiato is always a welcome treat and a money-saver.
A fresh fruit salad is the perfect side dish to this delicious breakfast casserole.
Add some protein to this meal by serving it alongside this sausage and sweet potato hash.
Making toast? Smokey bacon jam is going to elevate any slice of bread you might be serving alongside this casserole.
And don’t forget these bacon and eggs and toast made in a muffin tin. Not only are they visually appealing but they taste good too.
Whatever you decide to serve on the side, I’m sure it will be delicious!
Use extra sandwich bread you have on hand, whether it’s stale ends of the loaf or leftover hamburger buns. Whenever you have extra bread, keep it in a large bag in the freezer until you have a enough for a full recipe.
Cut any leftover bake into single serving squares, wrap them individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze. Everyone can heat up their own breakfast in the mornings when they are wrapped this way.
Feel free to adjust the sugar level in the topping or add a few tablespoons of sugar to the bake to your desired sweetness
You can easily make this during the day (or before I make dinner) and then bake in the evening to cut down on cooking time in the morning!
OTHER BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPES TO ENJOY
- Kielbasa-Bagel Breakfast Casserole
- Bacon, Tomato and Cheddar Breakfast Casserole with Eggs
- Overnight Panettone-Eggnog French Toast
- Streuseled Overnight French Toast
- Mouthwatering Oven Omelet
- Cinnamon Roll Casserole
FYI: Please join our NOBLE PIG FACEBOOK GROUP for a more in depth look at recipes, cooking tips and other member contributions.
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
Apple Pie French Toast Bake
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes and add bread to a well-greased baking dish. (Stale bread works great too.)
- Add eggs, milk and sour cream to a large bowl or blender, whisking well or blending on low until fully incorporated. Add vanilla, cinnamon and salt and continue mixing together until fully blended homogenously.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes and make sure that all pieces of bread are in contact with the egg mixture; press down on bread with a large spoon as needed to coat.
- Spread apple pie filling over bread evenly.
- For the topping, in a separate bowl, combine flour, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut ingredients together until mixture is crumbly. (You can also use your hands to do this.)
- Spread topping evenly over the apple pie and bread mixture.
- Cover pan and place in the fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- THE NEXT MORNING: Remove pan from refrigerator.
- Place cold French toast bake in the oven and then turn oven on to 350 degrees. (Yes you are starting from cold.) Bake approximately 50-60 minutes. You are looking for the top to be golden brown and the middle to be firm. Bake in additional 5-minute increments until done, adding foil if the top appears to be done or browning too quickly.
- Serve with jam or maple syrup if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.