These Streuseled Pumpkin Buttermilk Muffins are the perfect answer to a Fall season breakfast. Tangy, moist and with big hunks of crunchy streusel, I can’t think of a better way to enjoy my morning cup of coffee.
I would seriously eat muffins every day given the opportunity. Let’s face it, they are the perfect bite with morning coffee or tea, especially when they are not too sweet (like these). My absolute favorite muffin on the planet are these Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. They are pretty amazing and another one you must try after making these.
Pumpkin muffins are a welcomed treat during the Fall season, the whole house smells like the holidays when they are baking. I love waking up to that, especially when there’s a little ginger in the list of ingredients.
The batter for these muffins is stiff or maybe thick is a better word. You don’t want to overmix the batter once you add the flour. A stand mixer gives the best result when it comes to not overmixing.
About 2/3 full for the batter in each muffin tin, leaving room for the streusel to be placed on top.
Divide the streusel evenly among the unbaked muffins…more is always better.
They are perfectly rustic looking, especially if you have an old, beat-up muffin tin to display them in.
These muffins disappear quickly too.
As the muffins bake and rise, the streusel spreads over the muffin and creates the perfect crunchy topping. Every bite has a nice hunk of sugar crunch that you are going to appreciate…trust me.
The buttermilk adds in a nice tangy background flavor that balances the sweet. It’s perfection!
Streuseled Pumpkin Buttermilk Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and ginger. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy; about 3 minutes. Add eggs, pumpkin, buttermilk and vanilla. Add flour mixture and mix together only until combined. The batter will be thick.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full with batter.
- For the topping, combine all of the ingredients and use your fingers to create a crumb like mixture. Scatter evenly over the top of all muffins.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for 22-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when stuck in to the center.
- Cool muffins in the tin for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove and let completely cool, but they do taste good warm.
Other Pumpkin Muffins You Might Enjoy:
- Streusel-Topped Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Donut Muffins
- Pumpkin Crumb Muffins
- Pumpkin Brown Sugar Muffins