Are you looking for the perfect weekend appetizer? You've found it!! I made these for a dinner party last week and they were such a hit I just had to make them again for all of you.
Late summer sweet corn is overflowing in all the grocery bins and especially at the farm stands and farmer's markets. It's my favorite time of year to enjoy it, more so than during the middle summer months. It's almost like eating sugar which gives this recipe great balance with the tart lime and tangy creme fraiche.
Have you ever charred corn on the stove and not on the grill? It's really easy, just slice the kernels off the cob and place them in a dry skillet (not nonstick) over medium heat. Let them sit without disturbing for a couple of minutes and stir with a wooden spoon. Let them sit for another minute or so and the corn will start to char. Continue doing that until you've reached the desired doneness.
I decided to use the creme fraiche Vermont Creamery sent to me instead of sour cream. I love the richness of creme fraiche and its creamy texture. It's a useful staple in the kitchen when it comes to thickening sauces made on the stove. Creme fraiche does not split like sour cream when heated. That does not matter for this recipe but it's a good thing to know!!
Perfect before-dinner bites.
Charred Corn Crostini with Feta and Lime
- 1/2 baguette sliced in16 slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 ears corn, shucked and kernels removed
- 8 oz creme fraiche (such as Vermont Creamery)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 2 limes, sliced in half
- cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place bread on a rimmed baking sheet and with a pastry brush paint olive oil on one side of the bread. Place in the oven for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and immediately rub garlic over the bread. The garlic will easily melt over the hot bread.
- Meanwhile, place a skillet (not nonstick) over medium heat. Add corn and do not disturb for two minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon and let sit for another minute before stirring. Repeat until desired char is achieved.
- Stir together creme fraiche and feta cheese, dolloping some over each piece of bread. Top with corn and squeeze lime juice over the top. Garnish with cilantro leaves and sift a touch of chipotle chili powder on top. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: Vermont Creamery did send me their products but as always all opinions are my own.
One Year Ago: Take Five Candy Bar Brownies
Two Years Ago: Healthy Snack
Five Years Ago: Blueberry Coffee Cake