Charred Corn Crostini with Feta and Lime

Charred Corn Crostini with Feta and Lime
Are you looking for the perfect weekend appetizer? You’ve found it!! I made these for a dinner party last week and they were such a hit I just had to make them again for all of you.

Late summer sweet corn is overflowing in all the grocery bins and especially at the farm stands and farmer’s markets. It’s my favorite time of year to enjoy it, more so than during the middle summer months. It’s almost like eating sugar which gives this recipe great balance with the tart lime and tangy creme fraiche.

Have you ever charred corn on the stove and not on the grill? It’s really easy, just slice the kernels off the cob and place them in a dry skillet (not nonstick) over medium heat. Let them sit without disturbing for a couple of minutes and stir with a wooden spoon. Let them sit for another minute or so and the corn will start to char. Continue doing that until you’ve reached the desired doneness.

Charred Corn Crostini with Feta and Lime Vermont Creamery Creme Fraiche
I decided to use the creme fraiche Vermont Creamery sent to me instead of sour cream. I love the richness of creme fraiche and its creamy texture. It’s a useful staple in the kitchen when it comes to thickening sauces made on the stove. Creme fraiche does not split like sour cream when heated. That does not matter for this recipe but it’s a good thing to know!!

Print Recipe

Charred Corn Crostini with Feta and Lime

Recipe from: Created by Cathy Pollak for NoblePig.com | Serves: 16 slices

Ingredients

• 1/2 baguette sliced in16 slices
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 2 ears corn, shucked and kernels removed
  • 8 oz creme fraiche (such as Vermont Creamery)
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta
  • 2 limes, sliced in half
  • cilantro leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder

Directions

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place bread on a rimmed baking sheet and with a pastry brush paint olive oil on one side of the bread. Place in the oven for 7-8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and immediately rub garlic over the bread. The garlic will easily melt over the hot bread.
  • Meanwhile, place a skillet (not nonstick) over medium heat. Add corn and do not disturb for two minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon and let sit for another minute before stirring. Repeat until desired char is achieved.
  • Stir together creme fraiche and feta cheese, dolloping some over each piece of bread. Top with corn and squeeze lime juice over the top. Garnish with cilantro leaves and sift a touch of chipotle chili powder on top. Serve immediately.

Charred Corn Crostini with Feta Lime a late summer treat
Perfect before-dinner bites.

Disclosure: Vermont Creamery did send me their products but as always all opinions are my own.

One Year Ago: Take Five Candy Bar Brownies
Two Years Ago: Healthy Snack
Five Years Ago: Blueberry Coffee Cake

12 Comments and 4 Replies

1. Oooh! This appetizer looks super-scrumptious, Cathy! Love that you used feta, lime and cilantro along with the charred corn and creme fraiche on your garlic crostini. Nom! I think this would work for breakfast, don’t you? Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Labor Day holiday weekend!

2. Ashley 3

I love roasting corn on the stove – I tend to hurt myself when I use the outside grill so whenever my husband isn’t around I use the stove! haha These crostini sound delicious – love the lime and feta too.

3. As I opened this post, I literally exclaimed “Oh yum!” even though I’m reading this post first thing in the morning (when breakfast should really be what’s on my mind). But these look so flavorful and summery. They’ll be just perfect for our Labor Day barbecue! I can’t wait to make these this weekend. I’m keeping my fingers crossed we get a few ears of corn from our CSA tomorrow!

4. Mmm! I love charred corn and this Crostini is just calling my name!! So pretty and such awesome flavors!

5. Karly 9

Ooh, I bet this is just amazing! Sweet corn, lime, and creme fraiche?! Such a perfect summer app!

6. GAWSH! These look great!
    That combination of corn, feta and cilantro sounds amazing!

7. Oooh, I love this, Cathy! I always need fresh, fast appetizers for get-togethers and these crostini would be a big hit!

8. I am loving this, I would eat so many of these! This looks amazing, thanks for sharing!

9. NancyC 13

I love corn–this sounds really good!

10. Maegan @ The BakerMama 14

I can always count on you for the best appetizer ideas! The flavor combinations in this crostini sound amazing! They would be a great start to any meal!

11. I like most of your recipes, but I LOVE this one. I’m making it tonight for a picnic and will make it again this weekend for a dinner party, and probably keep making it until the corn is gone for the year.

Keep up the great work, I love finding your emails/recipes in my inbox in between meetings.. makes my work day go by so much faster.

I wanted to stop in and say hi after the Wine Country Half, but was a bit dehydrated and full of wine… I’m coming out for a few pick up parties in the next few weeks.. I’m not sure if you’re ever in the tasting room, but I’ll be sure to drop off a jar of pickles or some of the salami or charcuterie I make to say thanks for all the inspiration.

Cheers.

Todd

12. Made this yesterday and it was delicious!! The garlic rub on the hot toast was perfect to add just a hint of garlic goodness and the lime added that acid touch. Could eat WAY too many of these by myself!!