Yes...literally...heart-shaped watermelon...aren't they adorable? I'm telling you, my summertime watermelon obsession is in full gear and sees no signs of slowing down. Don't be alarmed, it happens every year. But now that I have discovered minted sugar..well let's just say I am typing this with sticky fingers, as I can't keep my hands out of the minted sugar bowl. I guess my troubles could be worse.
Basically, I can eat a whole watermelon, by myself...daily. I'm sure it's not normal, BUT, taking in that much watermelon leaves very little room for other calorie-laden snacks so it's a win-win! Right?
Anyway, if you are having one of those fancy dinner parties, where everyone gets a little fruit bowl next to their plate, serve everyone one of these instead. Put on a little plate and voila...you have a beautiful, unique fruit salad. Or, if you are having a buffet, place lots of these on a large platter and use a spatula to serve them from the platter. They are really gorgeous when plated this way.
Also, if you have a plethora of mint in garden, as I do, this is a great way to use it up. I think a basil sugar would be good too, or a mixture of mint and basil. Use this mint sugar to rim cocktail glasses, or stir into iced tea...yum.
And remember, your hearts don't have to be perfect, the more rustic looking the better!!
Watermelon Heart Stacks with Minted Sugar
- 1 large seedless watermelon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh, tender mint leaves plus more for garnish
- Slice watermelon into large slices ( as thick or slightly thicker than your cookie cutters). Using heart-shaped cookie cutters (one larger than the other) cut out heart shapes from the watermelon, as many as you want to make.
- In a food processor, add sugar and mint and pulse until mint is finely ground and mixture is well combined.
- Stack watermelon hearts and garnish with mint leave and a dollop of minted sugar.
Other Watermelon Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Incredible Watermelon Salad
Watermelon Aqua Fresca
Two Years Ago: Five-Spice Tilapia