Watermelon Feta Mint Salad, a vibrant combination of juicy and sweet watermelon, the creamy saltiness of feta cheese, and the refreshing aroma of fresh mint. With a drizzle of honey-lime dressing, this watermelon salad is a burst of flavors that embodies the essence of summer.
It’s no surprise that everyone adores watermelon! With its ripe and juicy goodness, this fruit always steals the show.
In general, watermelon and cucumber are the perfect pair and have always been one of favorite combos. Watermelon’s juicy and tender flesh goes perfectly with the crisp and refreshing texture of cucumbers. Not to mention they are both hydration powerhouses.
Related: Honey Lime Fruit Salad
This watermelon feta salad is an absolute showstopper at summer gatherings and I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do.
Why You’ll Love This Watermelon Feta Salad
- The colors are eye-popping! It is such a bright and fresh tasting salad.
- It will take you only 15 minutes to put this watermelon salad together.
- It’s a great salad to take to parties, potlucks, cookouts, and barbecues.
- This is a super healthy watermelon recipe that everyone loves.
- This is a gluten-free and vegetarian dish.
Related: Fruit Salad with Ginger-Mint Syrup
Watermelon Mint Salad Is the Perfect Marriage of Flavors
Watermelon, feta cheese, and mint leaves might seem like an unconventional combination, but they come together deliciously in this refreshing salad.
- Watermelon: The star ingredient of this salad, watermelon brings a sweet and juicy element that provides a refreshing base for the other flavors. Its vibrant color and high water content make it the perfect fruit for hydration during the summer.
- Feta Cheese: Known for its tangy and salty taste, feta cheese adds that savory element to the salad. The creamy texture and saltiness of the cheese provide a contrast to the sweetness of the watermelon. It’s the sweet-savory combo everyone loves.
- Fresh Mint Leaves: Mint leaves are the burst of freshness and subtle hint of coolness this salad needs. Their aromatic flavor enhances the overall taste and adds a refreshing touch.
Choosing the Best Watermelon
There is nothing worse than cutting open your watermelon only to find it’s not ripe. If you want the perfect watermelon salad, selecting a ripe and flavorful watermelon is crucial! Here are my tips to help you choose the best watermelon:
- Look for Uniform Shape: Opt for a watermelon with a symmetrical and uniform shape. Irregularities or lopsidedness may indicate inconsistent ripening. I prefer small watermelons too.
- Check the Field Spot: The field spot is the area where the watermelon rested on the ground. Look for a creamy yellow or orange field spot, which indicates the watermelon is ripe and ready to eat.
- Weight Matters: A ripe watermelon will feel heavy for its size. When comparing different watermelons, choose the one that feels the heaviest.
Enhancing this Watermelon Feta Mint Salad
While the classic combination of watermelon, feta cheese, and fresh mint is already a winning combination, here are a few additional ingredients you can add if you’re felling it.
- Red Onion: For an extra layer of flavor, thinly slice some red onion and toss it into the salad. The mild pungency of the onion adds a nice zing without overpowering the other ingredients. I do recommend soaking your sliced red onions in ice water for 15 minutes before adding them to the salad to keep their flavor mild. You can add pickled red onions too.
- Kalamata Olives: If you’re a fan of olives as I am, try adding some pitted Kalamata olives to the salad. Their briny and rich taste pairs exceptionally well with the sweetness of the watermelon and the saltiness of the feta.
- Avocado: Creamy avocado adds so much here. If you’re thinking about adding it, dice it up right before serving and sprinkle with some extra lime juice to keep it from browning. Arrange avocado on top of the salad without mixing it into the prepared salad.
- Balsamic Glaze: Add a drizzle of balsamic glaze over the salad right before serving for an extra layer of tangy-sweet flavor.
What to Serve With Watermelon Salad
The possibilities are endless since this refreshing salad goes well with so many things!
- Grilled meats: The light and refreshing flavors of the salad complement grilled meats beautifully. Serve it alongside grilled chicken, steak, or grilled pork chops for a satisfying and well-rounded meal.
- BBQ favorites: If you’re hosting a summer barbecue, consider serving the watermelon salad with feta alongside classic BBQ dishes like salmon burgers, hot dogs, or grilled vegetables. The salad’s vibrant flavors provide a refreshing contrast to the smoky and savory flavors of the barbecue.
- Mediterranean-inspired dishes: The Mediterranean flavors in the salad make it an excellent accompaniment to other Mediterranean-inspired dishes. Serve it alongside grilled fish, tzatziki sauce, pita bread, hummus, and other Mediterranean salads for a complete and cohesive meal.
- Light and fresh appetizers: The salad works well as a side dish for light and fresh appetizers. Consider serving it alongside a platter of bruschetta, fresh vegetable crudités with dip, or a selection of cheeses and cured meats.
- Picnic fare: It’s the perfect addition to a picnic spread. Pack it alongside sandwiches, wraps, or chilled pasta salad for a refreshing and portable meal.
- Summer soups: If you’re serving a chilled summer soup, such as gazpacho, vichyssoise or cucumber soup, this salad makes a fantastic side dish. The cooling watermelon flavors complement the soup’s refreshing nature perfectly.
- Mixed greens: If you want to create a more substantial meal, serve this watermelon salad on a bed of mixed greens or arugula. The combination of the salad and greens adds extra texture and nutrients to the dish.
Summer’s Symphony of Flavors
After you dive head first into this refreshing pool of sweetness, tanginess, and minty coolness, make sure to snap a photo and tag @NOBLEPIG and #noblepig on INSTAGRAM. I want to see how beautiful it turned out.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
How to Make Watermelon Feta Mint Salad
Watermelon Feta Mint Salad
- 6 cups cubed, seedless watermelon, 1-2" cubes (best if it's cold)
- 2 cups sliced, English cucumber
- 15 fresh mint leaves, julienned
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Watermelon Salad Dressing:
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsps. fresh lime juice
- 1.5 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. table salt
- Add watermelon, cucumber, mint and feta cheese to a serving bowl. Gently toss until all ingredients are evenly distributed.6 cups cubed, seedless watermelon, 1-2" cubes (best if it's cold), 2 cups sliced, English cucumber, 15 fresh mint leaves, julienned, 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Watermelon Salad Dressing:
- In a small bowl add all dressing ingredients and whisk together until fully combined. Pour dressing over your salad.1 tbsp. honey, 2 tbsps. fresh lime juice, 1.5 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 tsp. table salt
- The salad can be served immediately or can be made a few hours before. Add your mint leaves right before serving if not serving right away.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.