It’s all in your choice of ingredients.
There are two things that come to mind when trying to create the perfect grilled cheese sandwich. First, I like to include a protein factor. This guarantees my meat-loving family will gobble it up. Secondly, I try to match the meat with a perfectly, paired melty cheese.
When using stellar ingredients, you only need to include a few to make a great tasting meal. Since I knew I was going to be using Boar’s Head SmokeMaster Beechwood Black Forest Ham, finding the perfect cheese to match the rich, smooth and distinct flavor of the ham was paramount to creating an epic, tasting sandwich.
The ham is naturally smoked with imported German beechwood, a flavor we rarely taste here in America. Have your grocery store deli slice the ham very thin, which is going to allow you to pile on as much as you possibly can between the bread slices.
I decided on smoked Gouda cheese to pair with the smoked ham. Its creamy texture and salty taste elevated the distinct flavors in the smoked ham. Together, on sourdough bread, they are a taste powerhouse and something you need to experience for yourself.
My number one smoke house rule includes pairing food with enough distinction in each bite. This way one flavor is not lost on the other. You will experience that with this grilled cheese sandwich. It’s a smoked food lover’s delight.
Boar’s Head also has their own set of smoke house rules when it comes to creating perfectly smoked meats. It’s one of the reasons this sandwich tastes so darn good!! Starting with such a great product makes my job in the kitchen so much easier, not to mention delicious. They do all the work so I don’t have to.
Do you have your own set of “Smoke House Rules”? Maybe you love to smoke your own meat or you have someone do it for you?
A fancy sandwich maker is not necessary when it comes to making a grilled cheese sandwich. I use this little press to help flatten my sandwich down, but it’s not required either. However, it really is a useful kitchen tool.
Whether you’re watching the game this weekend or you need a quick, but delicious weeknight meal, this sandwich is going to pack on the flavor punch. Fair warning.
You don’t want to miss out on something so easy to put together. Make sure to stop by the deli counter and pick up your ham today.
How could you even pass this stack up? Swoon.
Epic Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich
- 8 slices sturdy sourdough bread
- butter, softened
- shredded, smoked Gouda cheese
- 24 slices Boar’s Head SmokeMaster Beechwood Smoked Black Forest Ham
- Butter slices of sourdough bread, one side only. Build each sandwich by layering cheese, 6 slices of ham and more cheese to the unbuttered side of half of the bread. Top each sandwich with remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over low heat, adding a small amount of butter to the pan. Heat sandwich until bread is golden brown and cheese begins to melt. Flip sandwich over and repeat. Remove from pan when sandwich is heated through. Serve immediately.