I have always had this over-the-top enthusiasm for Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. They were the first candies eaten out of my Halloween bag and the candy bar I always chose when we were allowed to buy a treat at the market. There is just something about them, I guess it’s that perfect ratio of chocolate and peanut butter in every bite.
At first I thought maybe Reese’s, chocolate chips and cake mix would be too much together…too sweet…too cloying, but I’m happy to report it’s not. And geez I added oatmeal so it’s almost healthy.
I will admit it’s hard for me to have cookies with my favorite candy sitting around. This is especially true since I drink coffee all day long and nothing goes better with black coffee than a sweet treat.
This batter must be chilled before you bake, otherwise you’ll have cookies that run into each other on the pan. I roll them into balls and chill overnight. I do this with almost every cookie but it’s really important with this mixture.
Reese's-Chocolate-Oatmeal-Cake Batter Cookies
- 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow or white cake mix
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz) bag Mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- 1-1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cake mix, oats and baking soda. Set aside. Cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture until to the wet ingredients and mix until fully combined but be careful not to overmix. Stir in peanut butter cups and chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into balls, about one Tablespoon each. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake cookies in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. They will still be slightly soft in the middle but will finish cooking on the pan. Let them sit for at least 10 minutes before moving them to a rack to cool completely
Have entered my giveaway to win a Weelicious Lunches cookbook? Don’t miss this great opportunity!