Fresh corn and cherry salad is a delicious celebration of summer flavors. Bright and juicy, thanks to the cherries that pair perfectly with the natural sweetness of the corn. Get this on your summer table!
With fresh corn and cherries in season there are so many possibilities when it comes to cooking with these two very seasonal ingredients. If you’re not making this salad, I can highly recommend these fresh corn cakes or this cherry crumble.
Fresh Corn and Cherry Salad Recipe
I wish there were more savory recipes that feature the cherry. The natural sweetness and texture of the cherry are the perfect contrast for so many flavors. Have you ever made a pan sauce with fresh cherries to pour over pork tenderloin? It’s delicious that way.
Serve this Fresh Corn and Cherry Salad alongside rib eye steak. The contrast of a meaty rib-eye and the texture of this salad is spot on. They are destined to be together.
This cherry salad recipe easily serves eight – perfect for a large gathering of friends and family.
Ingredients for Fresh Corn and Cherry Salad
- extra virgin olive oil – the best quality you can afford
- balsamic vinegar – same as the evoo, the best quality you can afford
- shallot -One shallot refers to an average-sized two-part bulb with two cloves. Use one clove for this recipe.
- fresh garlic
- white pepper -(not black)…white pepper has a different flavor profile than black pepper
- fresh corn – best is from the farmstand
- arugula – the peppery flavor is what’s perfect for this salad
- feta cheese – perfect contrast with its salty taste
- cherries – sweet, fresh cherries
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
How to Make Fresh Corn and Cherry Salad
Step One: Add all ingredients for the vinaigrette to a mason jar and shake until mixed. Vinaigrette can be made 1-2 days ahead, but you will have to bring it to room temperature before using.
Step Two: Add corn, arugula and red onion to a large bowl and toss together gently with vinaigrette right before serving. Transfer to a large platter and sprinkle with feta cheese and place cherries all over the top.
Note: Cut the recipe down if needed as it’s best served the same day. To make it easy on yourself, use a cherry pitter to pit all the cherries.
How to Pick Fresh Corn That’s Sweet
- The husk should be green and wrapped tightly around corn with a slightly damp feel to it.
- Husks should not feel dry or be yellow.
- Check the husk for small brown holes, which means insects are involved and these cobs should be avoided.
- Take a look at the bottom of the corn, where the ear was broken off the stalk in the field. If this area is brown, the corn is probably a couple days old and not really that fresh.
How to Pick Out the Best Cherries in the Supermarket
- the freshest cherries have green stems
- cherries should be firm, no soft spots or bruising
- depending on variety, color should be deep, bright red to mahogany
- free of insect damage and any little indentations caused by dehydration
- stemless cherries do not last as long in the fridge
- the darker the color, the sweeter the cherry
Can I Make the Vinaigrette Ahead of Time?
Yes you can make the vinaigrette up to two days ahead. Keep it stored in the refrigerator, but it will need to come to room temperature before tossing it with the salad ingredients.
Can I Make the Salad Ahead of Time?
This is a salad you want to make and toss right before serving. The arugula with added vinaigrette will not hold up over a long period of time.
The perfect summer salad, I hope you can enjoy it soon!
Fresh Corn and Cherry Salad
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 shallot clove, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 tsps finely minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
For the Salad:
- 4 ears of corn cooked and kernels cut off cob (cooled)
- 5 oz baby arugula
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 lb sweet cherries, pitted
- Add all ingredients for the vinaigrette to a mason jar and shake until mixed. Vinaigrette can be made 1-2 days ahead, but you will have to bring it to room temperature before using.
- Add corn, arugula and red onion to a large bowl and toss together gently with vinaigrette right before serving. Transfer to a large platter and sprinkle with feta cheese and place cherries all over the top.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #NOBLEPIG on INSTAGRAM so we can see what you’ve made. FOLLOW Noble Pig ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER to keep up with all our latest recipes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.