This Mediterranean-inspired Cucumber Feta Salad is a refreshing, healthy and delicious side dish to serve alongside any meal. Don’t be fooled by the simple and humble ingredients, this salad always steals the show.
Let’s Lighten Up!
I’ve always considered the mildly-flavored cucumber to be the chameleon of the vegetable world – tasty with just a splash of oil and vinegar, but can be dressed up nicely in sour cream, cream cheese and herbs, while also thriving with unexpected flavor pairings like pineapple and all sorts of melons.
During the warmer months, it’s hard to get enough salads in my life and this simple cucumber one is a favorite. What is it about that cool, crunch of cucumbers that goes so well with summer pastas, grilled foods and pizza!
While I often go very maximalist with my salads, this minimalistic salad is truly a keeper. All the proportions are just right, and the look is so bright and beautiful.
The Best Kind of Cucumbers for This Salad
While any cucumbers will work for this cucumber salad, my very favorites are English cucumbers (aka Persian cucumbers).
It’s not just that these cucumbers are seedless, but it’s their paper thin skin that doesn’t need to be peeled that makes them so versatile. English cucumbers are much sweeter than the regular variety, not bitter, which is always a plus.
If your garden is bursting with standard cucumbers, you’ll need to peel them first and I would slice them lengthwise and scoop out some/most of the seeds. This will ensure only the crunchiest parts of the cucumber are in your salad.
This is definitely a go-to summer dish for me — quick, filling, nutritious, and so versatile!
- This feta cucumber salad is extremely similar to what a lot of us refer to as Greek salad. If you added Kalamata olives and bell peppers you would be closer to that distinction.
- If you prefer your vinaigrette a little more creamy or herby, go ahead and add a 1/4 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, fresh chives, basil dill or oregano – they all work. While I prefer fresh lemon, you could substitute with white or red wine vinegar.
- Who doesn’t love the briny, tangy and sharp taste of feta cheese? And while already crumbled feta is highly convenient, I do prefer the block feta I crumble myself. Already crumbled feat has a caking agent applied so it doesn’t stick together. I just like the texture of block feta much better.
- If you’re in to spicy, add one or two fresh diced jalapeños for the perfect kick.
- This salad is perfect for reunions, picnics and summer barbecues. There are never leftovers.
- Make this easy cucumber feta salad heartier by adding cold pasta or leafy lettuce. Or serve on the side with grilled chicken, salmon, shrimp or steak.
More Refreshing Salads To Make All Season Long!
As the weather begins to warm up, it’s a great time to enjoy refreshing salads packed with seasonal ingredients. Salads have a way of helping you stay cool and hydrated during the warmer weather.
- This healthy shrimp avocado salad is bright, flavorful, zesty and can definitely masquerade as a seafood taco salad. You’re going to love it.
- Spinach salad with strawberry vinaigrette is always the first salad to make an appearance in my kitchen when those spring bulbs began to bloom.
- There is something about the combination of orange avocado together in a salad that makes it so delicious.
- Imagine a cherry salad with fresh corn, peppery arugula and salty feta cheese. Every bite is a summer celebration.
- Two salads you need to bring to every barbecue or potluck this season, bacon broccoli salad and bacon ranch tortellini. There are never any leftovers of either.
- Cucumber edamame salad with ginger-soy vinaigrette is perfectly balanced over these spiralized cucumber noodles and protein rich edamame.
For the Love of Feta Cucumber Salad
Enjoy your refreshing and flavorful cucumber feta salad!
IF YOU DO MAKE THIS SALAD, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT and who you fed it to! Snap a photo and tag @NOBLEPIG and #noblepig on INSTAGRAM so I can see it in all its glory.
DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW.
Cucumber Feta Salad
- 1 English cucumber (3-4 cups), sliced
- 10 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup cilantro or Italian flat-leaf parsley, shopped.
- 3 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsps. fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon or 2 small lemons)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- Slice the English cucumber into coins and place into a large serving bowl. Add cherry tomatoes.
- Slice onion into moon shaped pieces and add to bowl along with the crumbled feta cheese. Add cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinaigrette ingredients or add them to a mason jar and shake until fully combined.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the cucumber mixture and gently toss until the vinaigrette has coated the salad.
- The salad can be served immediately or placed in the refrigerator to chill for 2-3 hours. This can also be made the day before and kept in the refrigerator, but add cilantro right before serving so it's bright green.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.