Spicy Horseradish Macaroni Salad easily becomes the star of party with its layers of flavor -think creamy noodles, a punchy-pickled veggie addition and fresh herbs. Macaroni salad is the perfect side dish for every gathering from grilling to potluck celebrations and effortlessly add pizzazz to weeknight dinners.
Macaroni Salad with Horseradish
Let’s discuss horseradish. Do you love it, feel indifferent about it or really dislike it? I’m guessing because you’re here, you’re into it on some level.
When horseradish overwhelms a dish, I tend to not enjoy the overpowering result. Luckily, this macaroni salad is not like that, with the horseradish coming through as more of a warming, background flavor. You will know it’s there, but will not take over.
This Spicy Horseradish Macaroni Salad has so many lovely flavors to celebrate. I’m actually obsessed with the way it turned out. The fresh oregano also having a dominant hand in making every bite pop.
Have this salad accompany your favorite grilled foods such as, the best grilled chicken, the juiciest burgers or grilled pork chops. It’s a total winner!
Horseradish Macaroni Salad Ingredients
Ingredients found in this salad work together and complement each other in all the best ways.
Mayonnaise – still with the full-fat version for a full-bodied salad
Prepared horseradish – made with grated horseradish root, vinegar, and salt, this is a different flavor profile than just adding fresh horseradish
Sour Cream – again, stick with the full-fat version for the best mouthfeel
Shredded Parmesan cheese – you can shred your own or buy already shredded
Pepperoncini and it’s juice – this pickled condiment adds so much to the salad
Fresh lemon juice – flavor booster
Fresh oregano – adds so much flavor, do not substitute with dry
Red pepper flakes – adds the heat
Elbow macaroni – or whatever pasta shape you prefer
Hard-boiled eggs – you can leave these out if you prefer
Frozen peas – adds texture and taste
GET THE FULL (PRINTABLE) SPICY HORSERADISH MACARONI SALAD RECIPE BELOW. ENJOY!
Tips For Tasty Macaroni Salad
Here are a few ways to avoid the stumbling blocks of flavorless macaroni salad and to make one that explodes with flavor.
- Don’t forget to season the pasta water…generously. All good pasta salads begin with seasoned water and this macaroni salad is no different. Make sure to add the salt before adding the pasta to the water.
- Adding a pickled veggie. In the case of this salad it’s pepperoncini and it’s bottled juice. This adds a vibrant crunch and taste to a creamy salad.
- Not relying on just mayonnaise for creaminess. For the most flavorful dressing you’ll want to integrate mayo and sour cream as I do here. The horseradish pepper flakes and oregano, mingle with the pepperonicini liquid when you add the dressing to the salad. It’s the best
How To Prepare Macaroni Salad A Day In Advance
If you want to make your spicy macaroni salad a day or two in advance, here is a way to keep the desired creaminess.
While you cook the elbow macaroni, whisk together the full recipe of the creamy dressing. Immediately shock the cooked noodles in an ice bath to cool them off, tossing them with three tablespoons of the dressing and refrigerate until ready to serve.
The oil from the mayonnaise will not allow the noodles to stick together and keeping most of the dressing separate guarantees the noodles won’t soak it all up, leaving it dry.
Feel free slice pepperoncini’s, herbs, and cheese in advance, storing them separately in the refrigerator.
When serving time rolls around, toss macaroni noodles with remaining dressing and stir in other ingredients.
More Pasta and Side Salad Recipes To Try
Let the season of family grilling events, cookouts, and poolside parties with friends give you a reason or two try out one of these favorite pasta salad recipes.
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Bacon Ranch Tortellini Salad
- Bacon Broccoli Salad
- Cauliflower Salad
- Avocado and Three Bean Salad
- Chicken Macaroni Salad
- Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Salad
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
Spicy Horseradish Macaroni Salad
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped peperoncini (or use the already sliced version)
- 1/3 cup peperonicini juice (from the jar)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsps fresh oregano, minced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked al dente and cooled
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large bowl combine mayonnaise, horseradish, sour cream, Parmesan, peperoncini, peperoncini juice, lemon juice, oregano, black pepper and red pepper flakes. (You can easily make this part a day ahead. Don't worry if the consistency is thin, the pasta will soak it all up.)
- Add cooked pasta, eggs and peas to the mayo-horseradish mixture; combine well. Place in the refrigerator for at least four hours before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.