I totally prefer “green” sauce to “red” any day of the week. Green salsa, green enchiladas, green taco sauce…it’s the best and packs so much flavor.
I especially love working with tomatillos. I roast them to make salsas and tomatillo cream, which is always a hit with my nachos. Anyway, this chili is packed with yummy green produce. It is not overly spicy, all the cooking time seems to calm the flavors. It’s just lovely all around.
It does require you to soak dry beans overnight, so a little planning is necessary, but totally worth it. Every bite is packed with chicken, chile and beans, not to mention the lovely broth this makes.
I also used a little bit of masa harina towards the end of the cooking process. Masa harina is a finely ground corn flour most often used to make tortillas or tamale dough. You can find it in the Mexican section of your market. Because masa harina is ground corn, it adds flavor and also works as a thickener in this recipe. Don’t leave it out.
I wanted to post a picture of the tomatillo in case you are not sure what it looks like. You might walk by them at the grocery store all of the time.
The tomatillo has a characteristic paper-like husk surrounding the green fruit. The husk is usually open at the bottom and peels off easily, leaving the fruit a little sticky. To prepare them, just wash and chop like a tomato.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream, lime wedges and a sprinkling of green onion.
Slow Cooker Green Chicken Chili
- 1-1/2 cups dry great Northern beans
- 4 cups chopped tomatillos
- 8 Anaheim chiles, seeded and chopped
- 5 jalapenos, seeded, deveined and chopped
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup masa harina
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- sour cream, lime wedges and green onion for garnish
- Soak beans over night according to package directions. Drain and add to the bottom of a 6-7 quart slow cooker.
- Add tomatillos, Anaheim chiles, jalapeno, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, coriander and broth to the slow cooker. Make sure beans remain on the bottom of the slow cooker (do not stir). Cook on high heat for 4-1/2 hours.
- Stir in chicken, masa harina, lime juice, salt and pepper. Cook 30 minutes more.
- Serve each bowl with a dollop of sour cream, a lime wedge and green onion.
- Two Years Ago: Dark Chocolate Espresso Pudding with White Chocolate Whipped Cream
- Four Years Ago: Post An Entry and Call Me In the Morning