Today we were snowed in…school for the kids was cancelled and they played in the snow all day. We don’t regularly get snow here, at least not the kind that hangs around. However, when a storm does come through, the whole town shuts down. I kind of like that.
Anyway, what could be better than making homemade pizza on a day like this? This is our ABSOLUTE favorite sauce to make homemade pizza with. It doesn’t matter if you make your crust from scratch or purchase already made dough, just use this sauce!
It has a depth of flavor, and doesn’t require much work.
A key ingredient in this recipe are the fennel seeds…don’t leave them out! It’s just not the same without them.
And yes, that’s snow outside. We always make homemade pizza when it’s snowing, using my Quick No-Fail Homemade Pizza Dough recipe. Make sure you have all the ingredients on hand for when the inspiration hits.
The Best Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet, melt butter with the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic; saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a slow simmer. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and puree the sauce in a blender until smooth. Spread sauce on prepared pizza dough and add your favorite toppings.
This sauce also freezes well. Make a double or triple batch and freeze in pizza sized proportions.