Prosciutto and Fontina Stuffed Puff Pastry

Prosciutto Fontina Stuffed Puff Pastry
There is nothing better than walking into a holiday party and helping yourself to a hot, cheesy appetizer bursting with flavor. It’s cold out, everyone wants to start their night with something warm. Especially me!

I saw Ina Garten make her version of this appetizer on TV the other day and I couldn’t get to the kitchen fast enough to recreate it. I believe she used Genoa salami and Gruyere cheese, another fabulous combination. But this, oh my goodness, every bite was heavenly and cheesy.

Puff pastry is one of the greatest food tools in the kitchen. It makes and helps create some amazing food. All those flaky layers are irresistible, especially when stuffed with cheese.

Donkey
Now, here’s the thing. I think my puff pastry turned out a little dark, however, by no means was it ruined. It was amazing. I just left it in the oven 5 minutes too long. These donkeys showed up in my yard while this was in the oven and completely distracted me. I mean seriously, when do three asses just show up together? Pictures were necessary. Don’t let it happen to you.

Prosciutto Fontina Stuffed Puff Pastry inside
The puff pastry is filled with meat and cheese and topped with a second sheet of dough. Whoa.

Prosciutto Fontina Stuffed Puff Pastry take a bite
Every bite explodes with cheese.

Print Recipe

Prosciutto & Fontina Stuffed Puff Pastry

Recipe from: Inspired by Ina Garten (Love her!) | Serves: 6-8

Ingredients

• 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed in the fridge overnight
  • 1 Tablespoon stone ground mustard
  • 5-6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
  • 6 ounces Fontina cheese, shredded
  • 1 egg beaten with one Tablespoon of water

Directions

• Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare a baking tray with a piece of parchment paper.
  • Roll out one sheet of very cold puff pastry into a 10-inch square on a floured board. (Will only take a few rolls). Place on your prepared baking tray. Brush puff pastry with mustard, leaving a 1/2" border. Place half the prosciutto on top of the mustard. Add the cheese and then the rest of the prosciutto, still leaving that 1/2" border.
  • Roll out the second sheet of puff pastry into another 10-inch square and lay it directly on top of the first sheet. Make sure to line up the edges. Brush the egg wash on top . Cut three, large diagonal slits across the top to let the steam escape. Chill for 15 minutes
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning once. Let cool for 5 minutes and cut into squares. Serve hot or slightly warm.

Prosciutto Fontina Stuffed Puff Pastry cheesy
Very holiday worthy.

One Year Ago: Leftover Ham & Havarti Sliders on Parmesan-Butter Topped Pretzel Buns

12 Comments and 6 Replies

1. Personally I would like it a bit dark like that. Sounds absolutely delicious.

Fancy having a visit from three donkeys like that.

2. Love this! I’ve been looking for a way to use the extra bits from one of the 2 year prosciutto I made and this will be a great party plate to pass around.

LOVE the asses!!

3. Whoa. My family and friends would go nuts for this cheesy, salty pastry! Wonderful holiday recipe, Cathy!

4. Wow! Girl, I’m headed on over to your house…right now! Fontina is one of my all-time favorite Italian cheeses and, when paired with prosciutto, and stuffed into puff pastry, I am SO there! Thanks ever so much for sharing this wonderful recipe, Cathy!

5. Heliana O. 5

Hi – this looks amazing. I have a silly question…do you seal the edges of the puff pastry once you put the top layer on? I have never used puff pastry :(

6. coolrays 10

Sounds like yum to me! A friend sent me the link this morning knowing that I would like the idea. I’m about to put it in the oven but I thought this needs diced onions in the cheese. I used a combination of Fontina and smoked Gouda. Actually my mind is running wild with all kinds of ideas. Diced red peppers. Minced garlic. Fresh spinach. Spices & herbs. To me this is like a starting point of a great puff pastry idea. Kudos to you Cathy!

7. Heliana O. 12

Hello Cathy! We are in Tahoe this week with a lot of family. Had to give you an update…made this yesterday exactly as stated – was a hit! Once I got over the puff pastry fear – all came together very quickly. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

8. Panos 13

Hello there.

“turning once” means “flip the pie at half time” or something like that, right?

Thanks!

9. NICKI 15

turn pan or flip pastry

10. Scott 16

This looked great and gave me the idea to make a puff pastry breakfast sandwich because I had some 5×5 squares of puff pastry in my freezer. I used two squares per sandwich with grain mustard, sliced ham, gruyere cheese and a lightly fried sunny side up egg. They were incredibly good. Thank you for the idea!

11. Paul 17

Cathy, in regards to the three asses showing up at the same time they do it all the time and when there’s a government.
    In regards to the puff pastry you could probably use pizza dough and do the same thing