My oldest son is a good eater. However, he has always experienced spurts of random enthusiasm for very specific foods. Funny thing is, while pregnant with him, I had the exact types of precise cravings (just for different things). I wanted rainbow sprinkles, baby corn out of a can, diced ham sandwiches with pancakes…it was pretty crazy. And it always amazed me how driven and defined these cravings were.
With my second son, I didn’t have any of that nonsense and it just so happens he is my picky eater. Makes me wonder.
Lucky for my oldest, I do sometimes give in to his food fantasies. They kind of crack me up and I understand every bit of it. Remember this is the kid who has begged for the Taco Burger, the Cheeseburger Quiche, Chicken Frito Pie and the Whopper’s Ice Cream Cake and now the Spicy Doritos Quesadilla. Are you seeing a pattern? Thank goodness he eats his vegetables.
“Mom, I want a quesadilla. But I want Doritos in it. And it needs to be a little bit spicy. And I need it now because I’m starving…again.” I added the chicken to give it some staying power.
After tasting a slice I did agree it was really good. He devoured it and then went on to eat salmon and green beans for dinner.
I won’t mention exact measurments for this quesadilla, since everyone will likely make it to their own specifications.
He’s already asked if I would serve this to his friends. I suppose this is a teenage friendly dish...imagine that.
Do you ever indulge your kid’s food fantasies? What have you made?
- leftover rotisserie chicken
- taco seasoning
- flour tortillas
- shredded Mexican style cheese (I used Sargento shredded Nacho & Taco Blend)
- Doritos chips, any flavor you choose
- sliced pickled jalapenos
- lime wedges
- hot sauce
- Preheat a nonstick skillet and coat with cooking spray or a little bit of oil. Warm chicken in skillet and sprinkle with desired amount of taco seasoning until fully incorporated and heated through. Remove from heat.
- Preheat grill pan or other nonstick pan and coat with cooking spray or oil. Sprinkle half a flour tortilla with a generous amount of cheese and layer with Doritos, chicken and jalapenos. Fold tortilla in half and place on the grill pan. Cook until cheese is melted, about two minutes on each side.
- Slice into wedges and serve with cut limes and hot sauce.
Leftover chicken seasoned with taco seasoning is the perfect protein addition.