I was in the mood for a sweet, sticky cake. Something moist and delicious with two of my favorite ingredients…coconut and pineapple. I started messing around with some ingredients and settled on this. It was exactly what I was hoping for. I especially love the crunch of the walnuts with the soft cake.
They turned out just how I was expecting…I love it when that happens.
I didn’t even use a mixer for the batter, just a wooden spoon. However, I did use my Kitchen Aid for the frosting. But I only had to wash the bowl once!! It’s the little things.
I have since hidden these from myself…well, I placed them in the garage refrigerator. At least they are not staring at me every time I open the inside refrigerator. I would have eaten a half dozen of them by now…instead I’ve only had two.
I hope you like these, they are a perfect end of summer treat.
Coconut-Pineapple Cupcakes with Pineapple-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, with juice, undrained
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped, more to garnish
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons pineapple juice (from another small can of crushed pineapple)
- 2 Tablespoons crushed pineapple, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place cupcake liners in muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, eggs, pineapple, coconut and walnuts. Stir until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners with batter 3/4 of the way full and bake for approximately 33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack and then gently remove cupcakes from the pan. Cool completely.
- In another bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, pineapple juice and pineapple until combined. Frost cooled cupcakes and garnish with more chopped walnuts.
Perfect for a luau…are you having one?