I was in the mood for a sweet, sticky cake. Something moist and delicious with two of my favorite ingredients...coconut and pineapple. I started messing around with some ingredients and settled on this. It was exactly what I was hoping for. I especially love the crunch of the walnuts with the soft cake.
They turned out just how I was expecting...I love it when that happens.
I didn't even use a mixer for the batter, just a wooden spoon. However, I did use my Kitchen Aid for the frosting. But I only had to wash the bowl once!! It's the little things.
I have since hidden these from myself...well, I placed them in the garage refrigerator. At least they are not staring at me every time I open the inside refrigerator. I would have eaten a half dozen of them by now...instead I've only had two.
I hope you like these, they are a perfect end of summer treat.
Perfect for a luau...are you having one?
Coconut-Pineapple Cupcakes with Pineapple-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, with juice, undrained
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped, more to garnish
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons pineapple juice (from another small can of crushed pineapple)
- 2 Tablespoons crushed pineapple, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place cupcake liners in muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, eggs, pineapple, coconut and walnuts. Stir until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners with batter 3/4 of the way full and bake for approximately 33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack and then gently remove cupcakes from the pan. Cool completely.
- In another bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, pineapple juice and pineapple until combined. Frost cooled cupcakes and garnish with more chopped walnuts.