This just screams summer and Mexico! Doesn't a tropical Mexican Riviera vacation sound good about now? A few margaritas, a couple of these salads....I'm in...who wants to go?
My oldest boy loves shrimp, I mean, really loves shrimp. And he loves taco salad. In fact, I'm not sure which one he loves more. So I decided to combine these two loves and make something summery and delicious. I think I succeeded, since he gobbled this up in no time at all. It was an epic gobbling, let me tell you.
I love watching people eat and enjoy the things I make....it's like a weird voyeur thing, but I can't help it.
I first cook the shrimp in this buttery-lime-cilantro sauce. I slice the shrimp lengthwise before cooking because it doubles the amount of shrimp bites in your salad. And, the shrimp cooks a little faster so there is a less chance of overcooking it.
When the shrimp is done I take it out of it's buttery bath and I cook the corn for a few minutes in the same liquid. It adds so much buttery richness to the salad...I can't wait for you to try it!!
Cilantro-Lime Shrimp, Corn and Black Bean Salad
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed, sliced lengthwise
- 3 ears corn, shucked and corn sliced off the ear
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- juice of 3 limes
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 pound grape tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- corn tortilla chips (several handfuls)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter. Add lime juice, cilantro and salt, stir to incorporate. Add shrimp and cook until opaque, about 2-3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp from pan onto a plate to cool. Add corn to the same butter mixture, stirring and cooking for about three minutes. leave corn in pan and remove from heat. Set aside.
- While the shrimp and corn are cooling, I prepare my lettuce, tomatoes, scallions, avocado and beans, adding them to a large bowl. I also whisk the dressing ingredients and toss them with the salad. I then add the shrimp, corn-butter mixture and a few handfuls of chips and give it one more big toss.
Salad awesomeness you should try.