Butterscotch Bananas with Vanilla Ice Cream

P1330827xWhat can I say besides…wow and wow. What a perfect summer recipe, why you ask? Because you only have to turn on the stove for like, 5 minutes, to make this incredible dessert. And it’s perfect for all of the proclaimed “non-bakers” out there. And you get to make fire…it’s all good to me! The men might even get involved in this one.

P1040200x
It’s amazing what a little flammable rum can accomplish! Look at this nice little flame…you will impress with this one. Now, your regular 80o Proof rum will not ignite, you have to use something stronger, such as Bacardi 151o.  Of course on the back of the Bacardi bottle it will tell you NOT to ignite drinks or dishes that have 151 in them. Well, yeah…cause it’s flammable. But that’s how they have been making flaming, table-side desserts for years! Don’t worry folks, this does not explode into some large flame in your pan…it’s small but beautiful and caramelizes those bananas and sugar into a warm, yummy dessert.

P1330833x
The warm bananas scooped over vanilla ice cream turn this into a very “adult sundae” your guests will not forget. Elegant and easy, the way summer entertaining should be.

Print Recipe

Butterscotch Bananas with Vanilla Ice Cream

Recipe from: | Serves: 8

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup pecans
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 6 bananas peeled and sliced diagonally
  • 1/4 cup Bacardi 151*
  • vanilla ice cream

Directions

• Preheat a nonstick skillet on low-med heat. Add pecans into dry skillet and toast until fragrant; about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
  • Melt the butter in a large skillet (I used my 12" cast iron) over med heat. Add the sugar and cinnamon, stirring until smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
  • Carefully add bananas, stirring to coat them with the butter-sugar mixture. Remove from heat and evenly sprinkle rum around the bananas. Carefully ignite with a match and wait for the flame to go out. Sprinkle with pecans.
  • Serve the bananas and sauce over the ice cream.
  • *Make sure flame is completely burned out before serving. The flame can burn clear towards the end and can appear it has finished when it hasn't. Just look closely.

P1330844x
The toasted pecans give a nice texture to the finished dish.

Two Years Ago: Brown Sugar and Toasted Almond Ice Cream
Four Years Ago: Tantalizingly Tangy Chili-Cheese Dogs

11 Comments and 5 Replies

1. Cathy, this looks delicious! Your photos are so pretty, too. Just signed up for your feed so I’m happy to see what you’re up to. I’d love to plan a field trip out your way sometime!!

• Cathy 2

Absolutely! Our tasting room is in the cute little wine town of Carlton, so let us know you are coming. Will you be at IFBC next month in Portland?

2. This looks so so so YUMMY!!! 😀

Love banana’s so this could be a nice treat. Thanks for sharing with us.

3. YUM – nice recipe; BTW inspired by your Basil Spaghetti , I made something with the dried herb and loved it. Blogged abt it @ link to eq-myblog.blogspot.in

4. KG 8

Mmmm, sounds like bananas foster. I used to hate bananas, but just recently discovered I’m now in love with them (more’s the pity that the rest of my family still isn’t). As for the words “butterscotch” and “ice cream”…well, who doesn’t like that? I’m going to try this as soon as I can get my hands on some bananas.

5. Liz M 9

I was having lunch in my back yard with couple friends and needed a great but easy desert to make out side, so I tried your butterscotch. I love it, my guests are crazy about now they think I’m a chef. So thank you for a great recipe and keep it coming.
    Thanks a lot. Soon good.

6. TXcardgal 10

I made this for a dinner party. Seriously GOOD EATS! Cooked it while everyone was at the table. All conversation come to a halt when I lit the Bacardi 151. Tooo easy & tooo good!

7. Cardgal 11

I just made this recipe for the SECOND time. It is sooooo easy and sooooo good. Made it for my neighbors and they were very impressed with the dessert. I have been elevated to the best cook in the neighborhood now! Thanks for the recipe! Gonna pin it.

8. Andréanne 13

9. Andréanne 14

It looks amazingly good! I would like to make it as a desert for a family party. Do you think I could prepare it in advance? Would it still be good? Thank you!

10. TXcardgal 16

When I make for company, I get everything ready in advance & just finish it last min.
    – ice cream in bowls in freezer
    – br sugar & cinnamin in bowl
    – rum in bowl
    -go ahead and toast nuts and set aside in bowl & put the unmelted butter into the itron skillet
    Just before you cook, whack up the nanas…then put on the show!