Fried Mozzarella-Pepperoni Sticks ~ Made Easy

Are you following us on Facebook? Please do!

Who doesn't love fried mozzarella sticks? It's always one of those "special restaurant" appetizers we seem to reserve for only having when we are out to eat. But, what if you want to serve them at home?  Too hard to make? Not anymore.

A while back I was reading a magazine, I think it was Taste of Home, and it mentioned using egg roll wrappers and string cheese to make these sticks. I thought it was a brilliant idea but I couldn't stop there.  I've added pepperoni to mine to put this appetizer on a pedestal.  Serve your favorite marinara or pizza sauce on the side.

Wow, what a treat these were on a very cold, snowy and wet day at my house.  You might die and go to heaven once you bite into these.  So good!!

Print Recipe

Fried Mozzarella-Pepperoni Sticks

Recipe from: Created by Cathy Pollak for NoblePig.com | Serves: 6

Ingredients

• 12 pieces strung cheese
  • 12 egg roll wrappers
  • 36 slices pepperoni
  • oil for deep frying
  • marinara or pizza sauce

Directions

• On top of an egg roll wrapper, place three pieces of pepperoni as shown in the picture. Place a piece of string cheese on top. Fold corners over cheese. Fold bottom corner over cheese and pepperoni and keep rolling until cheese is tightly sealed. Moisten corners with water to seal. Repeat with the rest of wrappers, cheese and pepperoni.
  • In a skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees F. Fry sticks, a few at a time, for 30-60 seconds on each side until completely brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce.

Enjoy!

Two Years Ago: Frozen Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate
Three Years Ago: Boneless Pork Chops in a Shallot-Fig Reduction

34 Comments and 13 Replies

1. Can I call you GENIUS??!!
    Printing as I speak…

~ Carmen

Who wouldn’t like these? Perfect after school snack or appetizer.

3. annbb 3

That has my husband’s name written all over it. (Mine too, truth be told. :)

4. nina 4

Wow, I am making these for sure. Love the peperoni idea and so will my kids!!

5. angelica 5

oh my goodness…these look delicious and so easy!

6. Tish 6

would they still turn out if rolls were baked instead of fried?

7. Noble Pig 7

The only way you will know is if you try it. For me personally, with baking you are not going to get that puffed up, bubbly-crisp texture you get when you fry egg roll wrappers. You will just have this this thin, breakable layer around the cheese.

8. Lynda 8

Fantastic idea! I’m bookmarking this one.
    I’ve made the pizza bites several times that you posted and we love them too.

9. Debi Miller 9

yum yum yum

10. Lisa 10

Holy cow, this is genius!! I have to try this.

11. Annette 11

Does the cheese melt and ooze when you take a bite? I’m looking for something that will do that :)

12. Noble Pig 12

Yes it does. It’s awesome.

13. janina morgan 13

OMG you are a GENIUS!!!!! this looks delish, and my husband will looooove this, thanks for sharing dear, I absolutely love your blog!:)

14. Carole 14

What a great and simple dish for kids or a cute appetizer! I love your blog, read it often!

15. MsLee 15

OMG!!! This looks totally and completely YUM-O!!!! And soooo easy to make – now all of a sudden my healthy dinner with veg and beef is not so attractive anymore 😉

16. Dangerously good looking and way too easy! wow!

17. terry 17

trying this today..can any filling be used???

• Cathy 18

I’ve never tried with anything else so I can’t vouch for the success, but give it a go.

• terry 19

ok I made these rolls & they did not look like the pic..:( when i fried them for 30-60 sec the cheese started ooozing out & they were no where near brown why ?? When i went to oriental store i asked for egg roll wraps & she gave me spring roll skins is there a difference?

• Cathy 20

Yeah, they are totally different. You can get egg roll wrappers at the regular grocery store. What a bummer that she gave you those, I’m shocked. Spring roll wraps are usually round, in my pic you can see the egg roll wraps are square.

• Angela 21

I always have square spring roll wrappers. I make these all the time without the pepperoni using spring roll wrappers, just the string cheese and wraps. Although spring roll wrappers are thinner and don’t get that sort of “bubbly” texture on the outside, they will work, you have a smooth roll.

If they didn’t brown and the cheese was oozing out, the main two problems were that they weren’t rolled and sealed well, and that the oil was not hot enough when they went in. Also, too many in the oil at once will lower the temperature.

Let the oil get nice and hot. You can add a pinch of bread or a piece of torn spring roll wrapper or something to the oil to test first to make sure it is hot enough. It should start sizzling right away and browning fairly quickly.

Make sure that all of the ends are tucked in when you roll them up, that there aren’t any corners or anything open where the filling can come out. Keep a small bowl of water nearby, dip your finger in the water, and spread the water over the last corner of the spring roll wrapper or egg roll wrapper before rolling it up. This will help it seal tightly.

Start by frying the rolls with the sealed side down to help them set. You may also went to turn them over after a few seconds. Letting both sides get a little bit “set” in the oil before allowing them to go on and brown helps keep them closed. Sometimes if they sit for too long on one side in oil that’s not hot enough (or too hot), the end will start to come undone.

Only fry a few at a time, don’t overcrowd the pan.

• KayJacks 22

As a tip, try freezing the mozzarella sticks until they are like frozen blocks and then fry them. It helps a ton and it prevents cheese oozing out before the wraps are completely brown :).

18. KayJacks 23

Just made these for my senior class and used salami instead of pepperoni and they are PERFECT! I haven’t even taken them to school yet and my family is already trying to eat them all. Thank you for this great idea!!!!

19. Tabitha 24

Can these be prepared and frozen until ready to cook them?

• Cathy 25

I can’t really comment on that since I’ve never done it. If you try it, let me know.

20. Chris 26

This looked delicious, so I followed the recipe exactly..The outside was a golden brown,
    but the cheese never melted..It tasted rubbery…Maybe it’s suppose to?….

21. Andrea 28

I tried these tonight, but baked them. They weren’t horrible, but next time, I’ll get out the deep fryer. The wrappers turned out kinda crispy, but flaked off really easy and got kinda rubbery as they cooled. Great idea though! Thanks!

• Cathy 29

Yeah, they really are for deep frying. It’s hard to replicate the texture otherwise.

• patrica 32

try spring roll paper for baking its thinner than eggroll wrappers. spray with cooking spray to crisp. i froze mine before cooking so the cheese wouldnt ooze out

22. mary Kibble 33

Dom these look delicious Illl let you know when I make them and tell you how they came out they look scrumptious

23. Tony C 34

Saddens me when I see people’s work copied uncredited on Facebook… :o(
    link to facebook.com

• Cathy 35

Thank you! This recipe has gone quite viral in the unauthorized sense. Facebook has removed several violators but not nearly enough! Thanks again!

24. Gail Cote 36

? Can these be reheated if made ahead ..

I just made these for my son and they came out exactly like the pic and tastes great. Next time I will make them when his friends are here and probably make them half the size. Thanks!!

26. jen 38

these are whats for dinner tonight! it costs my family at least $25 for us to get pizza… my 2 and 3 yr old would probably like these more since it seems easier to eat! cant wait to make em!

27. Nancy Mclemore 39

Tried these the other day and will not try them again since they were sorta blah…not very flavorful. Not spicy enough for us. Don’t like the fried part either. Wound up greasy and yes I did maintain the correct temp.

28. Cathy Tuggle 40

Hi Cathy,

These were fabulous!
    I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make them too, a perfect meal (boy, and filling too!) for a get back into the swing of things Monday.
    Thanks so much.
    I even took a photo of them and put them on my FB page. If you have a chance stop by and take a peek!

29. Sandra Cocker 41

These would be wonderful. Another option would be to wrap the cheese sticks in hard or Genoa salami. Especially good for those who do not like the spiciness of pepperoni.

30. nichole 42

I just made them..
    Kids love them
    Thanks

31. Roxann 43

Has anyone made these in a deep fryer? If you have, what temp and how long to cook them? Thanks!

32. Sharon 45

Super easy and tastes great. Used Applegate Farms Pepperoni.

33. Victoria 46

My husband’s been asking for these for a while so I finally made them today and OMG, he was in heaven! He had about 5 in a row! The only thing I added was to sprinkle some Oregano over the string cheese:)

34. yesi 47