Kitty Litter Cake

If you thought for a minute I would not be making this cake for Halloween, you thought wrong.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  It is the ultimate gross out.

It's authenticity always amazes me as it looks just like the cat box.  Hopefully you all keep your cat boxes cleaner than this one.

What's funny about this cake is it TASTES REALLY GOOD.  Between the box caked mixes, pudding and crushed vanilla cremes you can't really screw it up.

Kids absolutely love to make all kinds of gross faces and sounds when they are being served this cake with the pooper scooper but they always lick their plate clean.

So don't disappoint your family or friends this Halloween.  Make them a Kitty Litter Cake, you'll be the cat's meow at the Halloween Ball!

Let's put this poop cake together...

Here is what you will need:  German chocolate cake mix, white cake mix, instant vanilla pudding mix, vanilla sandwich cookies, tootsie rolls, a BRAND NEW kitty litter box and a BRAND NEW kitty litter scooper.  Ingredients not shown:  Green food coloring.

Make your white and German chocolate cake and instant vanilla pudding according to package directions.  For the cakes, it doesn't matter what size pan they are made in or what they look like because you will be crumbling them together.

Crumble 12 ounces of vanilla sandwich cookies in small batches in a food processor.

To 1/4 cup of the crumbs add 5 drops of green food coloring and mix together with your hand, creating flecks of color in the crumbs; set aside.

When cakes are cooled to room temperature crumble them into a large bowl.  Toss with 1/2 of the remaining cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding, making the cake moist.

Shape the ends so they are no longer blunt and curve the tootsie rolls slightly.  Bury tootsie rolls randomly in the cake and sprinkle the cake with the other half of the remaining cookie crumbs.  Sprinkle the green flecked cookie crumbs over the top.

Heat the remaining tootsie rolls in the microwave and strategically place them over the top of the cake mixture  Don't forget to hang a few over the side to get the full, disgusting effect.

Serve each guest personally with a pooper scooper for a gross Halloween dessert.

Maybe each guest should have to use a pooper scooper to eat it?  Ewwww.

The kids will love it.

But the cat might freak out a little.

Kitty Litter Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (12 ounce) package vanilla sandwich cookies
5 drops green food coloring
16 tootsie rolls
Brand New Kitty Litter Box (small size)
Brand New Pooper Scooper

Crumble vanilla sandwich cookies in small batches in a food processor.  To 1/4 cup of the crumbs add green food coloring and mix together with your hand, creating flecks of color in the crumbs; set aside.

Put the cake mixture into the kitty litter box.  Put half of the unwrapped tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat for about 12 seconds or until soft.  Shape the ends so they are no longer blunt, curving the tootsie rolls slightly.  Bury tootsie rolls randomly in the cake and sprinkle the cake with the other half of the remaining cookie crumbs.  Sprinkle the green flecked cookie crumbs over the top.

Heat the remaining tootsie rolls in the microwave and strategically place them over the top of the cake mixture. Don't forget to hang a few over the side to get the full, disgusting effect.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

More Halloween Inspired Treats

Halloween-A-Day-Photo

This is a large fake pumpkin carved with the words, "The Witch Is In", if you can't read it.  It lights up and I usually have a large witches hat sitting on top.  With the hat on I had to stand too far away to photograph it and the words were no longer clear.

Enjoy!

112 Comments and 5 Replies

1. I specially like the poop on the sides of the box. Forget about the kids, I love it as well and would have cake litter cake any day (maybe skip the tootsi roll poop)!

2. Why do I need a NEW pooper scooper ? I have a few old ones I could use….coming from someone who tries to faithfully keep her kitty litter boxes clean, the pictures really gag me ! But knowing too how little ones LOVE this kind of gross stuff, I will probably make it ! Thanks a lot Noble Pig…now I need to go gag in private.

3. Amber 3

“Let’s put this poop cake together…” One of the many reasons I continue to read you.
    Love all the Halloween creatures behind the cake.
    What do I do at 2am when I can’t sleep? You’re looking at it. Looking at your post time, I don’t know how you keep up, what with mommying, blogging, repairing a/c’s, clearing land, priming pumps, and finding places for what has to be the country’s finest Halloween collection. Impressive.
    The microwaved tootsie rolls are spookier than your decorations. Ewww!

oh my kids would have loved this when they were little! lol How real it actually looks!

5. kitty poop cake! that’s genius..it doesn’t look that gross really. i’d have a massive slice any day!

6. Becky 6

If I were having a party this year I would totally make this!!!
    Great post, Cathy!
    I like the pumpkin too, and the little figures, shoot I like it all!

7. what a great gag! literally.

8. Philly 8

Ha Ha,,,,really gross looking cake !! Love it

This is the most gross cake I have ever seen or imagined. Now that is a great compliment because that was your aim, to make it look as gross as possible, and that you certainly did. I can just see the kids faces when you serve it up!

10. I love the whole idea of this cake. The grosser the better I say!

11. Leslie 11

Love the Kitty Litter cake. I usually make it every year as well!

12. Fran 12

Cathy, this is your best yet! How I wish my kids were still living at home. Anything to do with “doo-doo” is a hit with my kids. And this one would fit the bill.

Thanks!

Fran

13. Shirley 13

I always get a little too grossed out by kitty litter cake, although yours is fantastically done.

(FYI: Along these lines, I make a dirt cake in a clean flower pot at Christmas time, stick a silk poinsettia in it, and give it to the hostess as our gift when we attend a gathering. The hostesses who’ve never seen it before always mumble a thank you and set it far to the side. LOL Then they have their mouths open when I quietly retrieve it, stick a serving spoon it it, put some on my plate, and start eating. Always a great laugh! With your repertoire, you are probably already familiar with it.)

14. Louise 14

You bring me back to my inner child. And, while location, location, location is the real estate mantra … presentation, presentation, presentation makes this dish a delightful party pooper delight!

15. I had to see it to beleive it…kids and kids at heart would be “grossed out” in a good way by this recipe:D

16. Oh god, this is too vile for words. I ADORE IT!!! Yeesh, you’re so creative! Honestly though, that looks so very authentic (particularly the tootsie roll poops) that I would have to close my eyes as I ate it.

AWESOME.

17. That cake is so wrong…take it from me, it does look like a litter box. When I showed it to my daughter said “That is so gross…I could not eat it.” Haha…

18. katie 18

Man that is so gross! I am not sure I could even enjoy it, although I am sure the kids would have no trouble. I get freaked out by the dirt and worms desserts, so I’m a light weight.

19. I just can’t. The images are too vivid. I’m sure it’s really good, but my cat is sitting here on the desk and… no.

20. Rayrena 20

Gross gross gross. I’ll only have one piece please.

21. that is the grossest coolest thing I have ever seen…..

22. I totally grossed out my sister with the pictures alone (hee hee) – awesome cake:)

23. purrfect. just purrfect. i can almost smell it.

24. Teri 24

OH NO YOU DIDN’T! I am laughing so hard… Seriously had to call my whole family in to see this! I can’t stop laughing… I may have to come back to comment later…

25. wkf 25

we didn’t have any tootsie rolls so I used those Resin Chocolate candies They worked well. They melt a little grosser
    . Also you can put a few grains of rice on it and it looks like tape worm segments…..

26. shonda 26

I want to love this, I do. I have a sweet tooth and I am sure I would. However, I don’t know that I could get passed the Tootsie Rolls. It just looks too real.

Lovely. My husband is cracking up. He thought it looked very realistic.

28. ELRA 28

Cathy,
    That’s look really gross…
    the grosses it is, the more the kid will love it, right?

29. LOL!! That is revolting. Hilarious, and probably really tasty, but revolting nonetheless.

The rice grains as tapeworm comment was even grosser.

30. Erinn 30

That is so gross, it’s fantastic.
    I had to pull the whole family in the room to glory at the gross out factor! Ew! We love it.

This cake is the grossest and most wonderful creation ever! What boys especially wouldn’t love this one?

32. Katrina 32

Eeewwwwww! I love it!

Oh Cathy! I love the poop hanging over the side…classic!!
    Hey, do you think Tastespotting will accept these photos?
    I made this 3 years ago and all the people’s reactions were friggin’ priceless!

34. Teri 34

Okay, I came back just to read comments and marvel at your photos… still laughing! You crack me up!

35. tipper 35

What kid wouldn’t love that!

36. jessy 36

LOL!!! This is brilliant!!!!

37. LOL! this is friggin brilliant!!! I can accept the cake in litter tray, but that shot of you scooped them up… eeeuwwwww!!!

38. oh
    my
    god

too much
    hilarious

brilliant

39. I wish we had kids around to serve it to but we don’t and it’s too much for two old people. But I love it. We might make it sometime when we know the grandkids are going to visit.

40. It’s finally happened I almost barfed. Nope this I do NOT want to eat, forget about it. The melted tootsie rolls are just way to gross.

You’re right. This did give me a good laugh!!! You rock, Cathy.
    I also loved your entry in my contest. I chuckled out loud!! Good one.

42. melly~ 42

i think i just threw up in my mouth a little. *shudder*
    melly will -not- be making this cake. ever. :)

43. WHAT!?!? Oh my word – you are crazy!! I love tootsie rolls, so I would love this dessert. Yummmm! 😉

This would be worth making just to see peoples reactions!

45. OMG–that is truly gross! I can’t get over how much it looks like the real thing.The Tootsie Rolls in the micro–genius!!

That is freakin’ hysterical. You clearly have boys. :)

Too funny. I received a photo of this same cake from my son. A friend of his made a going away cake for another friend. Yep it was this same cake. My husband’s birthday is Halloween….perhaps this should be his birthday cake. A good way to gross out my in-laws.

48. So bad it’s good — and I’m partial to those Tootsie Roll poops! And the pooper scooper for serving, too!

49. Too far!!! Ewww. Not a cat lover, so double no! Special points for styling though – it looks exactly like it should :)

You crack me up!! I was totally grossed out at first but now I find myself wanting to make this for my kids.

51. Rosa 51

I cannot stop laughing. This is too funny. Classic. :)

52. Lori 52

Wow, this has to be one of the grossest (in a good way) Halloween desserts I’ve ever seen! That pooper scooper puts it over the top!

The cake made me laugh but the “I just threw up in my mouth” made me laugh harder.

54. Gamer 54

Wow. I’m not sure whether to be completely disgusted by this, or stand up and applaud! :)

Either way…this gets filed under the most ‘unique’ Halloween ‘dish’ I’ve seen in a long time. Kudos!

55. Candy 55

You just made my day. I have to make something for a work party this Friday, and I’ve been struggling with the choice. Now THIS IS IT! You rock!

i’ve seen this before, but never so spectacularly done! it’s so realistic, but truth be told, i wouldn’t hesitate a second before digging in. :)

57. Harmony 57

This cake is hilarious…I can already see my son refusing to eat it LOL…I can’t wait to give it a try.

58. I love watching your dreams come true with your vinyards. Have you watched HGTV’s Dream House covering the story of the Shannon and Stephen over at Notaviva? They are my brother’s friends who are living their dream of doing some VA wines!
    link to notavivavineyards.com
    It has been neat to watch them labor but are now reaping the fruits of their labor!!

59. McGee 59

please tell me you’re joking….

60. no…. No…. NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

That is appalling, and yet strangely perfect for all sorts of occassions!

61. This is so DAMN cute!! What a great idea. I have never seen anything like this before. Thanks for sharing with the peoples!!

62. vanessa 62

I can’t believe the kitty litter cake. I definitely couldn’t make this. Besides the gross-out factor, my cats would totally poop in it!!

63. Oh, that cake is the nastiest thing ever! But, just fabulous!!

64. Oh, this is too evil! Evil genius! BWAhahahaha.

My probably is since I already have one of those in my spare bathroom, I’m afraid someone might confuse the two! :)

66. heather 66

that is so nasty, it’s cool.

67. Sarah 67

That is so awesomely gross. I absolutely must make kitty little cake for our Halloween get-together!

68. “a BRAND NEW kitty litter pan and a BRAND NEW kitty litter scooper.” You crack me up!

69. Dragon 69

I’m horrified and salivating at the same time. What are you doing to me?

That cake might very well be the most, well, I can’t think of any adequate descriptors right now!!! It’s just the thing I need to gross out a group of preteens! Hope all works out well with your neighbor … hey, maybe you could stop by and bring him a cake … hehehe!

71. Sandie 71

LOL! This is sheer grossness, and probably the best Halloween-style cake I have ever seen. You crack me up!

72. Deborah 72

I just don’t know what to think!! I honestly can say that I don’t know if I’d be able to eat this. maybe if I wasn’t pregnant…

73. YUCH! Isn’t it amazing how we really do TASTE WITH OUR EYES?!

As yummy as I bet that cake is I am grossed out by it and would not touch it!

74. ewww that is so gross!

75. Kim 75

OMG, my daughter brought a book home with this cake. I’ve been waiting to make it. Honey, the only thing I can say is you turds look like slugs but I am sure they taste oh, so much better! Thanks for sharing.

76. You are SO the mother of little boys! :-)

77. I have never been able to eat Tootsie Rolls…..I wonder why.

Love the stump idea.

I love this recipe! I’m going to make this for a party we’re going to, lol. They will all get a HUGE kick out of this and I’m sure I’ll be the hit of the party, lol. Of course, I’m going dressed as *Mommie Dearest*, with hanger in hand.

79. This is grooooooss! Too much! Ahhhhh!!!

:) It actually is pretty cool. Even if it is gross.

80. jerri 80

I made this for my neighbors 14 birthday at first she said is this a joke not believing it was a real cake. I didn’t use the tootsie rolls instead I took milky way minis and mashed and then rolled them into little logs and they looked more like poop than tootsie roll do. her mom was laughing and gagging at the same time. but wanted the recipe.

81. Brava on the Kitty Litter Cake! Have you seen the recipe that usually appears under the name of “Little Gator’s Deep Sh*t Cookies”? Your recipe is a big improvement: the entire thing is edible, whereas Little Gator’s Cookies are served on a bed of Grape Nuts—highly realistic, but not anything people want to eat with cookies. However, if you don’t mind a little extra work, I recommend substituting the cookie part of Little Gator’s (basically chocolate/gingerbread cookie mix rolled up to look like cat turds) for the Tootsie Rolls in your recipe. The combination would be unbeatable.

82. Gina 82

I can’t wait to take this to our Thanksgiving pot luck dinner at work. I want to take it anonymous, at first, just to see who will actually eat it :) Ha! Ha!

83. Peter 83

I’m supposed to bring desert for a Christmas Eve dinner. It’s a normal Christmas gathering and I’ve decided to bring this delicious cake. I can’t wait to see the reaction!

84. Bette 84

My l6 year old daughter had an employee christmas party recently. WE made this cake and it turned out so realistic!!! it was the biggest hit of the party!!!
    This was great. thanks >..and the photos made it so much easier to do!!!

85. Kristine 85

I made this cake and took it to my employee Christmas party. It was so much fun! I loved the facial expressions and other reactions when everyone saw the cake. I just wish i would have taken a camera and got it all on film =)

86. Great instructions! I have also ‘made’ this cake, but the super-quick version. I cheat by using rectangular entiemens cakes and crumbled shortbread cookies on to (details here:
    link to catpenfold.typepad.com). It’s a good option if you need to make something dramatic in a hurry.

87. Angelicus 87

Hi There. Love the cake idea. My husband will love love love it. Sadly though we are unable to eat gluten or sugar so do you have an alternative way of making it that fits with our eating requirements? Thanks

88. This is brilliant! But I don’t think I would love to eat this with my eyes open. =)

89. Allronix 89

I have SO got to pitch this to Con-com. It’s a well-known fact that many a sci-fi fan is owned by a cat, and it takes a certain sense of (black, twisted) humor to actually sign up to run a convention. This’ll go over great!

90. OMG My mom is born on Halloween and she loves cats so you know what kind of cake shes gettin this year, its gross but COOL gross!! And my 9yr old son will LOVE it.

91. I have made this before and it IS delicious. Make sure you spread out some newspaper on your table then place the litter pan on top. It just helps the fake out!!

92. Evelyn 92

I don’t know why a few people say they refuse to eat this—it’s just cake with tootsie rolls on top, just presented VERY differently! Hahaha C’mon people! Break out of normality!

I think this is a genius way to make this dessert–much more creative than the typical dirt worm cupcake =)

93. That is known that cash can make us disembarrass. But how to act if one doesn’t have money? The one way is to try to get the loan and student loan.

94. If you are in uncomfortable position and have got no cash to get out from that, you would require to take the personal loans. Just because that should aid you definitely. I take credit loan every single year and feel myself good because of this.

95. If you want to buy real estate, you would have to receive the home loans. Moreover, my sister always uses a college loan, which seems to be really firm.

96. Seraphale 96

I’ve had cats all of my life, so I don’t think I could bring myself to eat this. *shudders* Nope. I’m too well acquainted… I love your site though! You’ve got some great stuff here! ;]

97. Set your life more easy take the credit loans and everything you require.

98. Dana 98

I make this twice a year for my two cat’s birthdays. I make them with squished brownies instead of tootsie rolls and serve with whipped cream if desired. The best cake ever! Everyone is excited about it all year and ask when the cats birthdays are so they can have some!

99. Sarah 99

Awesome! I’m going to have to take this to our Halloween party!

100. Chloe 100

Making this today for our Halloween party at work tomorrow… Can’t wait to see how it comes out!!

101. Traci 101

I know this is an older recipe but I made it this morning for the first time! My Vet’s office is going to LOVE this for thier costume party today!! My husband especially liked my “poop” making technique and placement! lol Thanks again!! Cheers! Traci

102. Erin 102

I have an Earth Day garbage clean up event at my work this Friday. At the picnic we are having a dessert contest with a garbage theme….I think this will be perfect!!!

103. Rachel 103

This cake makes me laugh so incredibly hard, I love everything about it and wish that I was having a bigger Halloween Party this year so I could make it. AWESOME post with an awesome cake – looking forward to making it :-)

104. darla 104

The kitty litter cake is awesome, I am making it for our party on the 20th!!

105. Christi Code 105

I love this idea for a cake. I’m going to a Halloween party where I need to bring a dish. This will be perfect considering I’m going as a cat lady. :)

106. JoeyH 106

I’ve been wanting to make one of these for years. I found the perfect opportunity: my husband’s birthday, since he always takes care of the litterbox. I’ve seen this same recipe around but I really appreciated your helpful photos. It’s so easy because nothing has to look just right, and it’s fun to crumble up cakes and sculpt kitty turds out of warm Tootsie Rolls. I love how it cane out! Hope my husband likes it as much as I do… 😉

107. Dawn J. 107

I can’t thank you enough for this recipe! I first made it 3 years ago & it has now become a must-have at our neighborhood pumpkin carving parties! My 10 year old is going to a Halloween party tonight & she has insisted on bringing this so the cakes are baking as I type this. I have enjoyed all of your recipes that we have tried but, this is our favorite….followed closely by the Hawaiian pork with rice! :)

108. kim 109

we don’t have tootsie rolls in Australia do you think cadbury flakes would work?

109. Amy 112

Making this for my Girl Scout troops Halloween party tomorrow, I can’t wait to hear their grossed out screams!! It is going to be fun, aince little girls can easily be grossed out!!!

110. Suz 113

Does this keep well overnight

111. Auntie Rhonda 114

My twin nieces were spending the night, so we planned a party for my 2 dogs who had birthdays in October. We were going to make paw prints cupcakes, but dogs LOVE eating kitty litter, so this is their birthday cake!! Made a small bowl with no chocolate or Tootsie Roll poops to serve to the birthday boys. Thanks for sharing this! They loved it.

112. Oh my!!! This is so wonderfully disgusting and I just love it!