Hey peeps, look at these cute little bites! Have you been on the hunt for a perfect summer appetizer that takes only minutes to put together? Look no further.
I was having a bunch of friends over the other night and needed something quick and tasty to serve as a pre-dinner snack. It’s really easy for me to get carried away with making too many or too heavy of an appetizer load when it comes to entertaining. As a result no one really eats the dinner I’ve spent so much time cooking…it’s disappointing.
These little bites have all the comfort of a warm, crisp and gooey snack topped with a fresh taste of bell pepper and chives. By using three different colored peppers they look super festive on a platter. And people love one-bite apps when they are at a gathering. Less mess is best.
Look at the jalapeno and cheese in every slice of sausage, lots of big flavor in every bite.
To start, I added a small hunk of Brie into each mini filo shell and then I topped each one with a slice of sausage. On top of the sausage I added more thin sliced Brie in a crisscross pattern. The idea was for the Brie to melt over and under the sausage for a nice gooey bite.
Since the sausage is already fully cooked, you are essentially just putting it in the oven to slightly brown the shells, warm the sausage and melt the cheese. It only takes about 7-8 minutes.
I sprinkled the peppers and chives over the bites after they were cooked. This made for a fresh, crunchy taste in every bite. These were a big hit at my house, even the kids loved them.
Sausage, Brie and Pepper Bites
- 2 (1.9 oz) boxes mini filo shells, 15 shells in each box, thawed
- 1 (8 oz) wheel of Brie cheese
- 2 Johnsonville Jalapeno & Cheese Smoked Sausage links, sliced into 30 pieces
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper, any colors you choose
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place a small hunk of Brie at the bottom of each filo shell (make this hunk a little thicker than the ones you make to go on top. Use 1/2 of the wheel of Brie for this part.) Place one slice of sausage on top of the cheese. Use the rest of the Brie to place on top of the sausage in thin sliced pieces, making a crisscross pattern. The Brie will melt down over and under the sausage.
- Place filled shells on a baking sheet and place in the oven until sheets are slightly browned and cheese is bubbling, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with bell pepper and chives. Serve immediately.
These can be made up to a day ahead and placed in the fridge until ready to bake.