This Cucumber Tomato Salad is a classic ensemble of crisp cucumbers and juicy tomatoes. The refreshing blend of textures and flavors is accented by a vibrant, homemade vinaigrette.
Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad
Every year as the weather warms up, I make a mental list of the seasonal favorites I absolutely have to make.
My list always includes classics like salmon burgers, peach lemonade and fresh creamed corn, and fresh fruit desserts like strawberry pizza and blackberry crumble. But at the very top of my summer food log is always this cucumber and tomato salad. I consider it a staple in any summer menu as cucumbers are the mild-mannered superheroes of any summer salad. Wouldn’t you agree?
This salad is truly what summer was meant to taste like.
What’s In This Classic Summer Salad?
From crisp elements that add crunch to the tangy accents, each bite brings summer to life. Full recipe can be found at the end of the post.
- English cucumbers: The crisp texture and mild flavor add the (seedless) crunch to the salad.
- Vine-ripened tomatoes: The juicy tomatoes are the burst of sweetness and tanginess that carries this salad.
- Red onion: Adds the contrasting bite and a subtle touch of spiciness that balances the spiciness.
- Apple cider vinegar: The tangy acidity of apple cider vinegar is the zesty brightness, with a touch of sweetness you want to match your main salad ingredients.
- Extra virgin olive oil: The rich and flavorful oil base to the vinaigrette, which adds a subtle fruity taste.
- Salt and pepper: These staple seasonings are flavor boosters.
- Fresh chives: Contribute a delicate onion-like flavor and an herbaceous note.
- Fresh basil: Adds aromatics and a slightly sweet flavor to the final salad.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Additions
If you want to make this salad a little more hearty or eat as a complete meal, here are a few of my suggestions:
- Kalamata olives: These briny olives will add a savory and tangy kick, while adding a Mediterranean touch.
- Grilled chicken: Chicken will not only makes it a more substantial meal.
- Avocado: I love the idea of creamy and buttery avocado that’s going to add a luxurious texture and richness, while also providing more healthy fats and extra nutrients.
- Toasted nuts (such as almonds or walnuts): Will bring crunch and nutty flavor to this salad, as well as healthy fat.
- Quinoa: Mixing in cooked quinoa adds a nutritious and filling component and boosts its protein content.
- Croutons: Croutons will add a crispy and crunchy element if you’re craving some added texture.
- More Fresh herbs (such as parsley or cilantro): Adding another handful of fresh herbs for another burst of freshness .
- Balsamic glaze: Drizzle balsamic glaze over the salad too add a sweet and tangy note.
- If you do not use English cucumbers, make sure sure to seed your cucumbers before adding to the salad.
- You can substitute any sweetener of your choice (honey/ maple syrup) for the granulated sugar.
- If you find the taste of raw onion too sharp, soak the sliced onion in iced water for 15 minutes before adding it to the salad.
- To make this salad ahead of time, do not add fresh chives and basil until right before serving.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in a covered airtight container.
More Cucumber Recipes To Complete Your Meals
It’s all about that cool, refreshing, cucumber crunch!
- Mediterranean-inspired cucumber feta salad is a refreshing, healthy and delicious side dish to serve alongside any meal.
- Keep it light and refreshing this summer with a cucumber mint salad.
- Cucumber edamame salad is a complete vibe and needs a place in your weekly rotation.
- Watermelon cucumber feta and mint are perfectly paired in this refreshing salad.
Cool As a Cucumber
When it’s crunch time and you make a big, hearty bowl of this cucumber salad, don’t forget to snap a photo and tag @NOBLEPIG and #noblepig on INSTAGRAM. I can’t wait to see your version.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
How To Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Add sliced cucumbers, tomatoes and onion to a large bowl.2 English cucumbers, sliced into rounds or quarters, 4 medium-sized vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced, 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, sugar and salt and pepper. Pour over cucumber mixture and toss together.1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp granulated sugar, salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle chives and basil on top.1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives, 2-3 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.