While it's so easy to purchase premade chips, surprise everyone with a bowl of The Best Homemade Sweet Potato Chips. The secret to the crispiest chips are in the thinness of the slice.
There are so many kinds of chips at the supermarket, it's almost mind-boggling. It's hard to keep up with all the flavors and styles that seem to change weekly. However, store bought chips have nothing on The Best Homemade Sweet Potato Chips. The perfect crunchy and sweet potato flavor get me every time.
Imagine how awesome these will be at your next game day celebration or Friday night gathering. I like to serve them with my favorite a couple of my favorite dip recipes. Feta Pepper Dip and Sun Dried Tomato Dip are the perfect pairings for these chips.
I like making a large batch of these chips because they go quick! Trust me, everyone loves a homemade chip.
I slice the sweet potatoes right in my food processor using the slicing disc. I have an insanely large capacity food processor that's equipped with what's called the "exact slice system". The same brand has smaller, more affordable models with the same slice system. Maybe you already have one? It works awesome.
When it comes to success with making making homemade chips, the thinner you can slice them the better. Thicker slices tend to burn as they have to be cooked longer and in higher temperature oil. You can also use a mandoline to slice your sweet potatoes as thinly as possible.
Even though I have a deep fryer, I generally use my 7-quart Dutch oven with a candy thermometer to fry my chips. The thin slices need only a temperature of 320 degrees F to fry them up successfully. You'll want to make sure the oil is returned to temperature in between batches.
I fry a handful at a time so they don't stick together.
Do they look awesome or what?
If you are are thinking about serving them for a a game day celebration, these footballs cups make a cute serving vessel.
Or simply use paper bags.
Feel free to use the same method with regular potatoes too.
There are lots of great snacks to serve right-alongside these sweet potato chips at your next gathering. Think Slow Cooker Little Smokies or Pizza Pinwheels. I'm also crazy about Pizza Burgers and Mini Hot Dog Bites. All of it sounds good!
Five years ago I made this Lemon Verbena Walnut Loaf Cake and I'm still enjoying baking it today. Eight years ago this Carrot Cake made my life. Nine years ago Gratineed Pineapple was born and it's just off the charts.
The Best Homemade Sweet Potato Chips
- 5-6 sweet potatoes, preferably long and thin
- 4 cups peanut oil for frying
- table salt
- Scrub each sweet potato under cold water to get rid of any dirt. Assemble food processor with slicing disc and adjust to the thinnest setting possible. If using a mandolin, slice as thinly as possible.
- Feed sweet potatoes through the food processor's feeding tube one at a time. Repeat until all the sweet potatoes have been sliced.
- In a large, heavy-bottom pot or a deep fryer, heat oil to 320 degrees F. Working in batches, fry sweet potato slices until slightly browned, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on a paper-towel lined pan. Sprinkle immediately with salt. Repeat until all slices have been fried.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #NOBLEPIG on INSTAGRAM so we can see what you've made. FOLLOW Noble Pig ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER to keep up with all our latest recipes.