Take advantage of the season’s sweetest and ripest fruit with this Coconut Peach Crumble. And don’t forget that scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top.
The “dog days of summer” are upon us in a big way. I always associate August with lazy, hot, sometimes humid days that seem to last forever and the fun never seems to end. August days feel like Sunday, every day. It’s also my birthday month, so a little celebrating every, single day is important.
And then there are the peaches. Here in the Pacific Northwest peaches are now ripe and ready at the market and it’s time put them in all the things! I especially love making my Fresh Peach and Cinnamon Ice Cream several times during this season. And Frozen Peach Margaritas are an absolute must (pro tip: freeze summer peaches and make these margaritas year round).
And when it is comes to a crumble topping, I am so particular. I prefer the complex taste of dark brown sugar, with rolled oats thrown into the mix. Since I used ginger with the peaches, I added cinnamon to the crumble to round it all out. It’s kind of fantastic.
Peeling peaches are easy. Just score the bottom of your ripe peaches with a knife and place them into a pot of boiling water for about 20-30 seconds. Remove them and drop into a bowl of ice water, letting them cool down for a couple of minutes. The skin will peel off easily from where you scored each peach.
How many different ways can you enjoy summer peaches? So, so many. Here are 12 Ways to Creative with Sweet Summer Peaches that you cannot miss out on…trust me. Have you ever had Peach Salsa? You need to give it a try. And this Peach Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting sounds like the best idea ever. And what about Chipotle Peach BBQ Chicken? It sounds amazing. And don’t forget to make yourself a big pitcher of Peach Lemonade. You won’t regret it.
Two years ago I made these Watermelon Banana Rum Coolers for a party and they were a hit. Four years ago I posted about these Buttermilk-Maple French Toast Muffins and they have been such a popular recipe. If you need a great summer side dish, this Couscous with Dried Fruit and Feta I posted six years ago is pretty awesome. Seven summers ago I made this Snickerdoodle Ice Cream and it has remained a family favorite. If you need a refreshing drink, this post from eight years ago about Raspberry and Peach Fuzzy Melba cocktails is still on point.
Coconut Peach Crumble
- 3 lbs (6 cups) ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss peaches with sugar, coconut and ginger. In a small bowl combine cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon cold water; stir until dissolved and toss with peach mixture. Place fruit in a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Dot with butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for the crumble topping and squish together with your hands until it's the size of peas. Sprinkle on the fruit mixture in the pie pan.
- Bake crumble on the middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes. Juices should be bubbling.
- Cool 15 minutes and serve with ice cream if desired.