The most delicious stuffing using all your fall season favorites – pretzel bread, bacon, apples and dried cherries. This incredible combo is going to rock your Thanksgiving table.
I love a good stuffing, especially a nontraditional one, like this Pretzel Bread, Bacon and Apple Stuffing. Don’t get me wrong, I look forward to classic recipes during the holidays, but I always make a few new dishes too. Stuffing is one of the easiest ways to add something unexpected and creative to your holiday table.
I also never “stuff” the turkey. Do people still do that? I like to cook my turkey to temperature and not have to worry about the stuffing being done or not. My preference I guess.
It’s really important to let the bread cubes REALLY dry out. If you don’t have two days to make that happen, just pop them in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes.
Stuffing can be sweet, savory or both. It’s one of those blank canvas dishes that can be prepared in so many different ways. It is definitely my most changed-up side dish every holiday.
The easiest way to add pizzazz to your stuffing is by varying the type of bread used. I love the flavor of pretzel bread, and it tastes delicious in this stuffing. It adds a nice complexity, especially with the added beer and bacon.
The apples and cherries incorporate a nice touch of sweetness to the savory flavors. Every bite is a delicious reminder of all the wonderful ingredients found in this recipe.
Trust me when I tell you this is going to be the perfect side dish to your beautiful ham or turkey this season.
Other Stuffing Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Bread and Sausage Stuffing with Cranberries
Cranberry and Walnut Stuffing
Challah Bread and Sausage Stuffing
Sausage Apple and Brie Stuffing
Wild Rice Stuffing
FYI: Please join our NOBLE PIG FACEBOOK GROUP for a more in depth look at recipes, cooking tips and other member contributions.
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
Pretzel Bread, Bacon and Apple Stuffing
- 10 cups pretzel bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1/2 cup beer ( or sub chicken stock)
- 16 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked crispy and chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped dried cherries
- Spread out bread cubes on two rimmed baking sheets and let sit out uncovered, overnight, to dry. Or place in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté onion, celery, apples, parsley, salt and pepper until softened; about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the bread cubes to a large bowl and mix thoroughly with chicken stock, beer and eggs until fully incorporated. No liquid should remain in the bottom of the bowl. Fold in onion mixture, bacon and cherries.
- Bake in a 9”x13” pan for 40 minutes until bread on top is slightly golden brown.
- Let sit 15 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply