This Best 5-Ingredient Sausage Gravy for Biscuits has two REALLY specific ingredients that make it so great. And it couldn’t be easier to put together.
Have you guys seen the wildfires burning out of control here on the West Coast? It’s so awful! And really, I’m not anywhere near them, but the sky here in Oregon is still covered in a thick layer of smoke. I think the wind from the North is funneling the smoke into our valley from Washington state. It’s not pretty.
The swirly, grey haze coupled with temperatures in the nineties, is just really depressing. Walking outside and smelling the smoke and feeling the heat makes me feel “bleh”. I can’t even imagine what it’s like to have to fight these fires in these types of conditions (or any condition). I really hope we get some type of rain soon to help. However, that doesn’t seem likely in the middle of August.
Of course the fire situation has nothing to do with The Best 5-Ingredient Sausage Gravy for Biscuits, other than looking to comfort food in times of feeling dull. And biscuits and gravy sure would brighten my day. In fact, I even have the perfect comfort food Biscuits and Gravy Dip appetizer for times like these!
So, here’s a tip, when browning sausage or ground beef for this recipe, use a potato masher to smash the meat into smaller pieces while it’s still cooking. This way you do not have any large lumps in your final dish.
This particular recipe has two REALLY specific ingredients that make it great; Jimmy Dean Sausage and Old Bay seasoning. These two items are what make it possible to only use five ingredients….no other seasoning is necessary.
Pour the gravy over your favorite biscuits, (these are mine), and enjoy.
There are lots comfort food ideas when it comes to breakfast. I definitely love the sound of Fall Breakfast Hash. This Breakfast Pull-Apart Bread also has my name all over it. A collection of 20 Coffee Cakes Perfect for Sunday Morning are always great to have in your breakfast wheelhouse. These Pulled Pork Breakfast Wraps will also have your family in food heaven after the first bite. This Everything Bagel Breakfast Casserole is also breakfast perfection.
The Best 5-Ingredient Sausage Gravy for Biscuits
- 1 lb package Jimmy Dean sausage, regular flavor
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- Brown sausage, mashing it down with a potato masher while cooking to break into small, finer pieces.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Add butter to the same pan over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted add flour, stirring until fully incorporated. Slowly pour in milk, whisking constantly to break up any lumps. Continue to whisk over medium heat until gravy begins to thicken, coating the back of a spoon.
- Add sausage back into the gravy. Stir in Old Bay seasoning. Serve over your favorite biscuits.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #NOBLEPIG on INSTAGRAM so we can see what you’ve made. FOLLOW Noble Pig ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER to keep up with all our latest recipes.