Finally, finally I am taking the time to tell you all about one of my favorite, favorite everyday breakfasts. I haven't been holding out on you, but sometimes I forget to share things I eat on a regular basis, almost as if they aren't really a recipe.
However, I can assure you this was worth the wait. As I've said before, I love oatmeal....like love it. And I enjoy it prepared all THE ways. Many, many years ago I was turned on to muesli, which is a combination of raw rolled oats, grains, fresh or dried fruits, nuts, mixed with milk and yogurt. It's served cold, just like the oats you see here.
I feel like this is very closely related to muesli because of the raw, rolled oats. It just reminds me so much of that dish. However, while I love muesli, I prefer my oats without dried fruit, it just gets too chewy....for me. I like the crunch and texture of almond and chocolate chips, with the sweetness a banana can bring naturally.
There are a million flavor combinations you can create. However, this is hands down my fave combo and I've been eating it 3-4 times per week for the past year. It's ready so quickly and I'm able to make it up while I make the kids breakfast. I pop it in the fridge for 30 minutes while I make lunches and it's ready to eat. The rolled oats and chia seeds (which I buy in bulk these days), puff up over the 30-minutes and soak up all/most of the liquid. It's a quick and magical transformation.
When ready, I gobble it up and head out on my five mile hike with lots of energy.
I only make this is in a wide-mouthed, 12 oz mason jar if I am going to take it with me, otherwise it does great in a regular bowl. The mason jar is a great option if you want to take it to work, it travels perfectly and this recipe fits inside just right. You will want to keep it cold.
It's also easier to mix it up in a bowl and transfer to a mason jar for transport.
I've tried just about every yogurt on the planet and I've come to realize the fat-free, low-cal, artificial sweetener stuff is just bleh. I buy this in the big tub. It's so delicious and creamy and really, really adds to this recipe in a satisfying way. It's not cloyingly sweet, just rich and very tasty. You must try it....they have a honey salted caramel flavor too...it's just as awesome. It truly is my favorite yogurt!
I hope you get a chance to make this during the week. It truly feels like breakfast for dessert.
30-Minute Banana, Almond, Chocolate Chip Oats
- 3/4 cup raw (dry), old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup honey vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 small-medium ripe banana, sliced lengthwise and then again crosswise
- In a large container, mason jar or bowl, add oats, almonds, chia seeds and mini chocolate chips. Pour almond milk on top. Top with yogurt and sliced banana.
- Stir mixture together well. Place in the refrigerator for 30-minutes. The oats and chia seeds will soak up the liquid and the mixture will become thick. You can always add a little more almond milk if you prefer it a little thinner.
- ~Even though this dish is ready in 30 minutes, you don't need to eat it immediately. It does great in the fridge for 12 hours, your bananas just won't be as yellow.
Three Years Ago: Szechuan-Hazelnut Brittle
Five Years Ago: Cherry Tassies