I’m calling it, Thanksgiving leftovers are officially done-with, at least at my house. What about you? Are you still serving turkey sandwiches tonight?
I have been craving a new taste, so I saved making these cheese-filled goodies until I couldn’t take it anymore. A few weeks ago, we purchased a new car. It turned out our salesman was a total foodie and once he and I made that connection, we ended up talking about food the whole time, I mean REALLY talking about food and culture and recipes and ideas. It made me completely forget about the fact I was emptying a bank account to buy this car….good salesman huh?
Victor (the foodie salesman) started telling me about these quesadillas his wife makes, with shrimp, Sriracha, butter, cabbage and melty cheese. Well, I had to have them, but I’ve waited until all the holiday food has left my home, so I could eat these with a clean palate and clear conscience.
It was so worth the wait.
I knew exactly which shredded cheese version I wanted to use in this recipe, Sargento® Traditional Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican, one of my absolute favorites. Honestly I use it for just about everything. It’s the perfect blend for so much of the food I make.
When you are cooking with such few ingredients, every single one counts, another reason ingredients like Sargento Shredded Cheese (available in 30 varieties, unique blends and distinct cuts) are one of my favorites. The perfect addition to any recipe and always cut from blocks of 100 percent real, natural cheese.
It never dawned on me to saute cabbage as an ingredient for a quesadilla. Thanks to Victor it is now going to be a way of life. It’s such a great filler.
Filling your tortilla halfway keeps everything in place when flipping it over in the pan. If you have any extra cheese, sprinkle it on top of the shrimp…..why wouldn’t you.
These are pretty good by themselves too….yum.
I guarantee deliciousness with this one. And don’t be afraid of the Sriracha, it calms down wonderfully with the cheese and the butter, creating the perfect balance of heat and calm. I also mixed together a little sour cream and Sriracha to drizzle over the top….best move ever.
Fiery Shrimp Quesadillas
- 20 extra large prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 2 cups Sargento® Traditional Cut Shredded 4 Cheese Mexican
- 4 soft taco sized flour tortillas
- 1-2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large, nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add cabbage and Sriracha and saute until cabbage is softened; about 2-3 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp are cooked through and opaque, about 3-4 minutes more.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on half of each flour tortilla and place five cooked prawns and cabbage mixture on top of each bed of cheese. Fold tortilla in half.
- Heat vegetable oil over low-med heat in another nonstick pan. Brown tortilla on each side until cheese is melted through and tortilla is slightly crispy.
One Year Ago: Leftover Turkey and Black Bean Tacos