Here it is, the perfect appetizer for your Labor Day Weekend ~ Last Hurrah of Summer bash. There are many reasons this dish is awesome, but reason numero uno (besides taste) is its simplicity. You can make as many as you need, it’s ready in minutes and you have the grill going anyway.
And, if your grill-centric partner won’t let you near the flames, it’s even better. You can send this appetizer outside for them to whip-up, while you finish meal prep in the kitchen. It’s also vegetarian, vegan, non-dairy, (sub in vegan-non-dairy veggie cheese) gluten-free, kosher…making it easy to serve to a crowd who have all kinds of dietary restrictions.
A fun variation would be a hot sauce bar, where everyone can choose their level of heat. Since we like it spicy at the Noble Pig house, we chose Sriracha…and it was fantastic.
Magical things happen when you grill an avocado. The buttery inside becomes even creamier and the flesh is infused with the smokiness of the grill. Since the avocado already has a high fat content, sprinkling lime on top is all that’s necessary before placing it on the grill.
And speaking of grills…I’ve been practicing on my new one sent to me by California Avocados. Is it awesome or what? It’s time for an avocado party!
This dish is also the perfect tailgating appetizer. You can leave the avocados whole until ready to serve and grill them up on location. It’s very doable when away from home and even easier in your own backyard. You could even do a whole toppings bar…my head is spinning with all the possibilities.
Let me know how much you loved making this.
Cheese-Filled Grilled Avocados
- 2 California avocados, halved and pitted
- juice of one lime
- 4 heaping Tablespoons finely shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- Preheat grill to med-high heat.
- Squirt lime juice over the halved tops of the avocado. Place on the grill (indirect heat or cooler side of grill, flesh side down. Grill for 5 minutes. If the avocados are uneven, press them down a few times with tongs to make sure all surfaces touch the grill. Turn avocados over and place heaping tablespoons of cheese in the middle of the avocado where the pit used to be. Close grill to melt the cheese, about 1-2 minutes. Remove to a platter. Drizzle hot sauce of choice over the top and serve warm with a spoon.
Looks amazing! But I’m pretty sure cheese isn’t vegan or non-dairy 😉
Yes, you must use vegan, nondairy cheese…an easy buy!
Yes please! I’ll take one…or 17.
Incredible idea!! My husband has been SO into grilling everything lately, so I will totally send him outside to do this 😉
Yep, good move.
Alicia S says
Fabulous idea! Definitely will be trying them and I’ll let you know what we think.
I can’t believe the summer is almost over, no!!! Although, fall does have some wonderful seasonal qualities and amazing food to look forward to!
Carol K Forsythe says
Your recipes are awesome! Please include me in your list of fans!