This hot and cheesy PROSCIUTTO and FONTINA STUFFED PUFF PASTRY is going to take your appetizer game to the next level! See this recipe MADE ON VIDEO HERE.
There is nothing better than walking into a holiday party and helping yourself to a hot, cheesy appetizer bursting with flavor. Let’s just hope it’s this Prosciutto and Fontina Stuffed Puff Pastry. When it’s cold out, everyone wants to start their night with something warm. Especially me!
I saw Ina Garten make her version of this appetizer on TV the other day and I couldn’t get to the kitchen fast enough to recreate it. I believe she used Genoa salami and Gruyere cheese, another fabulous combination, but this, oh my goodness, every bite was heavenly and cheesy.
Puff pastry is one of the greatest food tools in the kitchen. It makes and helps create some amazing food. All those flaky layers are irresistible, especially when stuffed with cheese. If you’ve ever made my Crab and Chive Puffs you’ll know how awesome puff pastry tastes. In fact, it’s even perfect for dessert, namely in these Individual Puff Pastry Apple Tarts with Almond and Cinnamon. You can’t go wrong with either.
Now, here’s the thing. I think my puff pastry turned out a little dark, however, by no means was it ruined. It was amazing. I just left it in the oven 5 minutes too long.
Side note…these donkeys showed up in my yard while this was in the oven and completely distracted me. I mean seriously, when do three asses just show up together? Don’t answer that. Pictures were necessary. Don’t let it happen to you.
The puff pastry is filled with meat and cheese and topped with a second sheet of dough. Whoa.
Every bite explodes with cheese.
Very holiday worthy.
There are lots of hot and cheesy holiday appetizers that are perfect for serving. I would take a look at this collection of 17 Hot and Cheesy Dips to help celebrate the season. These Cheesy Mashed Potato Stuffed Mushrooms have my mouth watering. I know a few people who would go crazy for this Cheesy Beer Dip with Pretzel Rolls. And these Cheesy Green Olive Pinwheels will have everyone looking for a second bite.
One year ago I made these Leftover Ham & Havarti Sliders on Parmesan-Butter Topped Pretzel Buns and they are our favorite way to use up ham leftovers.
Prosciutto & Fontina Stuffed Puff Pastry
- 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed in the fridge overnight
- 1 Tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 5-6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- 6 ounces Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 egg beaten with one Tablespoon of water
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare a baking tray with a piece of parchment paper.
- Roll out one sheet of very cold puff pastry into a 10-inch square on a floured board. (Will only take a few rolls). Place on your prepared baking tray. Brush puff pastry with mustard, leaving a 1/2" border. Place half the prosciutto on top of the mustard. Add the cheese and then the rest of the prosciutto, still leaving that 1/2" border.
- Roll out the second sheet of puff pastry into another 10-inch square and lay it directly on top of the first sheet. Make sure to line up the edges. Brush the egg wash on top . Cut three, large diagonal slits across the top to let the steam escape. Chill for 15 minutes
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning once. Let cool for 5 minutes and cut into squares. Serve hot or slightly warm.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #NOBLEPIG on INSTAGRAM so we can see what you’ve made. FOLLOW Noble Pig ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER to keep up with all our latest recipes.