Yummy, summer salad season is in full swing….and who doesn’t love a crisp green, chilled salad? For me, salad has to have some crunch. I do not enjoy limp greens covered in dressing. I’m assuming a lot of people don’t. I guess that’s why I’ve always loved romaine lettuce. Unlike other lettuce varieties romaine is very tolerant of heat, which is why it is great to serve outdoors. It will hold up just a little longer.
I also think it’s romaine’s refined bitter-herb taste that makes it such a great vehicle for so many different dressings, especially this Creamy Gorgonzola and Parmesan version. It’s out of this world. The dressing is so flavorful the salad needs nothing except some lettuce and crouton crunch. Well, I take that back, I did add some shaved Parmesan too.
And remember when I wrote that story about my husband and the separate salad plate issue? For some reason this salad reminded me of that story. He still eats his salad in a separate bowl and I have it on my plate. Some things never change.
Now, this salad, normally I make my house salad several times a week. However, when I’m feeling like I want something special and I’ve done enough “extra” exercise to cover it…I make this dressing. It has such an amazing flavor. But, you have to let this dressing sit overnight. The flavors have to meld and it has to be cold. You cannot rush this…don’t even try. So, if you want to make it for Mother’s Day, get your ingredients together and get this in the fridge as soon as possible.
I always make my dressings in wide-mouth mason jars. It’s so much easier mixing them up when you can just shake the heck out them. The whole whisking dressings together is for the birds, it’s never as good a mix in my opinion.
You are going to love this salad, the flavors just pop.
Romaine Salad with Creamy Gorgonzola and Parmesan Dressing
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- 3 Tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 cups coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups croutons
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan (make this with your potato peeler)
- In a wide-mouth mason jar, add buttermilk, Gorgonzola, Parmesan, mayonnaise, vinegar, parsley, garlic, Dijon, Worcestershire and Tabasco. Shake well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place in the refrigerator overnight for the flavor to meld completely.
- Toss dressing with lettuce right before serving. Top each salad plate with croutons and shaved Parmesan.
Three Years Ago: Dream to Reality
Four Years Ago: Impressed
Five Years Ago: Hpnotiq Breeze